1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The run game and JoJo need to improve

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Grinds, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Grinds

Grinds Member

For a "top" CB in the league and our #1 CB JoJo got burned too many times by Wallace. Mike hadn't caught a pass from Tennihill in 2 preseason games, but they regulated Joseph on multiple/consecutive possessions. I give a pass last season because he wasn't healthy, but dude looks like he's just fallen off.

The run game was trash against MIA's 1st team and hasn't been on point since '11. The oline has injuries, but damn... most of our rushes were 1 yard in the 1st Q. We must do better because Schaub isn't good enough to overcome subpar running.

2. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'll hesitate to call any part of our team "trash" until we field a full team of our #1's for more than a series or two.

3. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

We averaged 4 ypc on 28 carries for the game, not as bad as you think. We were also without our stud WR or RB playing.

Looking great in preseason means nothing, hell we looked like the team to beat until we feel off a cliff last season against NE. We need to be healthy and playing our best ball late in the season.

We have enough talent to win plenty of games this season early while we try and make sure we maintain our health for late in the season.

Oh and the last time we had a crappy run game and crappy defense Schaub for 4800 yards and 29 tds (we also had 9-7 record just missing the playoffs). That season we had Steve Slaton and Ryan Moats leading the rushing attack, geez.

Times have changed though and Kubes relies on the running game all the time now, almost to a fault. If Arian misses extended time that may change though.

4. Grinds

Grinds Member

The post said 1st Q / against their 1st team. We had 12 yards in 4 carries... 9 of which came on 1 play! The run game isn't great or even good. Not solely based on this 1 Q alone, we didn't ball last year either (16th yds/att).

btw- Do we all agree Joseph sucked?

5. Major

Major Member

4 carries is not much of a useful sample size. You could also say 25% of the carries went for 9+ yards, which would be awesome. :) Also, their planned #1 RB is not even on the field, so I think it's impossible to judge this year's running game at this point. Last year's was certainly mediocre, but I assume they did something to try to address that.

6. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

RB situation is predicated on the ability of the Oline to zone block. Zone blocking requires strict timing between each lineman. With 3 of our lineman either rookies or 2nd year players it will be a work in progress. I see us struggling the first half of the season and the second half (where it matters most) turning around as they gain experience together. Wade Smith will be back early on in the season and that may help. I feel that Quessenberry could beat him out as a starter though, seeing how he has looked much better than Ben Jones and will more than likely be our future at the position. Jones to me is purely a center.

JJo on the other hand isn't really all of JJos fault. A lot of the passes to Wallace were really given up by Daniel Manning. That dude has been mostly garbage as a FS for us for about 1 1/2 seasons for us. He's a pure SS that plays close to the line. He lacks coverage ability and burst now. JJo on the other hand I feel like he's rusty at full speed considering the two hernia surgeries he had in the offseason. He should be fine the start of the season. Most of our coverage failures are nearly all due to our safety play. I wouldn't doubt seeing Manning cut after this season since the dude has been mostly a bust for us since we acquired him.

Watch tape on last years season. When we got blew up through the air it was mostly because of garbage safety play and a lot of that was because of Manning. He can't tackle TE's or run with WR's at all. Another issue is that we gave up tons of yardage because our pass rush was garbage last year. We only had 2 players get constant coverage and they were our DE's. Don't see the problem in that? 3-4 OLB's should be destroying QB's and ours don't do a damn thing. We can't 4 man rush at all and that gives up a ton of open space because we have to constantly rush with 5 or more players. Which usually gives the TE a ton of space to work with and was one of our glaring holes last year.

I think we draft safety again this next coming draft. At least I hope we do we've got to get better/younger at the positions.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm concerned about Joseph myself.

At some point, we may need to look at Kareem as the #1 and move Joseph to guard the two. You don't think it'll work? See Megatron.

8. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Yeah, That Detroit game pissed me off. They clearly new JJo was hurting from his dual hernia and they kept him on Calvin most of the game. When Kareem was on Calvin, he shut him the **** down. Kareem is obviously our future #1 corner, but when that happens I'm not sure.

Joseph still has 3 years on his contract and we haven't gotten any better at drafting CB's either. Roc/Harris have't done a thing. I hope Bouye makes roster seeing how he's the only player who's shown anything as a backup.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Give the guys time.

Kareem looked just as bad thru his first 2 seasons with us but now we're considering him as a replacement to our "former" #1 CB.

Not saying these guys will make the type of quantum leap Kareem did just saying they could improve to be much better by their 3rd season.

Basically I'm still holding out hope. And others should too.

10. Grinds

Grinds Member

Yeah Manning has been subpar. He's no better than Pollard.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I'll never forget when Rodgers came into town and PICKED ON JoJo with Jordy Nelson.

We've seen the best of JoJo.

12. jbasket

jbasket Member

This post is golden. Like to add that our 3rd safety was absolutely terrible as well, and we do a lot of dime packages. I am glad somebody else realized that Barwin was a garbage pass rusher last year, and I think Mercilus should really help with this (along with Reed being healthy again). Cushing helps the pass rush as well.

JJo was hurt the Detroit game; Alan Ball started out on Megatron.

Dude, do you like any Texans players at all?

13. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Actually Eric Alan Ball was covering Calvin, J JO didn't play that game. Kareem held Calvin to 1 catch for 8 yards.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Yes, Watt.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

WOF...

16. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

I think its hilarious how people say the running game was trash last year. How many yards to Foster rack up by the seasons end?

Secondly, you do know that it is much tougher to run the ball when you have the lead and everyone in the building is expecting it. We played with the lead so much last year everyone knew the runs were coming. Of course the ypa is going to drop.

I dont care what team you are, a 1600 yard rusher is a good year rushing wise.

J. jo had 2 hernias and other injuries last year. I dont fault him for bad safety play.

17. Grinds

Grinds Member

Nobody (in this thread) said the run game was trash last year.

Everyone knew AP would run last year yet what happened? He still balled. In fact, Texans rushing was mostly BETTER during the 2nd halves of games last season when we had leads. We mainly wore teams down.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

The first test for J-Jo against an great WR will not come until Week 7 (Dwayne Bowe). Hopefully he will be in game shape and he has his confidence high by then because we need him to be 2011 Joseph for us to compete for a Super Bowl.