1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Rockets terrible losses

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 14, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Credit to @Deuce and twitter user Trevion De'Rico (if you are on here let me know)

Basically if you reverse the 9 terrible losses where we had leads that should have held, we'd be in first place in the WCF.

SMH

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you erase all them close games and declare them as wins for them contenders.

The standings would look bonkers.

RocketDream, Haymitch and J Sizzle like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Yup, the focus just isn't there and that also shows in the effort level.

From the first game of the season, the sense of urgency has been gone.

There were a few spurts early to prevent the season from being lost, but that is about it.

BasketMAD, hakeem94 and Deuce like this.
  4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

because our defense is bad this year
    i don't think Ariza can fix it either
    i think the rest of the league caught up and play Moreyball and they are better at it

BasketMAD, hakeem94 and Little Bit like this.
  5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

How to beat the Rockets:

2017-18: Pick till you get one of their bigs switched onto a quicker player outside, and abuse him.

2018-19: Pick till you get one of their guards switched onto a bigger player inside, and abuse him.

BasketMAD, hakeem94, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  6. justtxyank

Pace is also an issue. We play so slow. Playing slow let's fluke things happen.

Just imagine: You are offered $1 million if you beat Steph Curry in a 3 point shooting contest. Would you rather it be best of 3 or best of 100? Obviously best of 3 because you might get lucky and he misses two. If you take 100 he's going to hit his averages and you don't have a chance.

dragonwill and hakeem94 like this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

At some point they can't be considered terrible losses and should just be considered a reality that this team isn't very good and can be beat by virtually any team in the league. The effort is horrible, but we're 60 games in. The team is what it is.

People need to get last year out of their head. The 2018-2019 Rockets are not in the same realm as last year's team. Last year, these losses would be considered horrible because they would happen so infrequently. This year, though? These losses, at this point, should be expected as a very normal outcome. The Rockets *shouldn't* blow leads as often as they do, but at this point, how can you *possibly* expect anything to change?

BasketMAD, Easy, Pat and 1 other person like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

damn, I had forgotten all about that Washington L

LUK3 and J Sizzle like this.
  9. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

That's not really how it goes.. I'm sure other teams had similar "terrible losses". That being said, I think we could be at least the 3rd or even 2nd seed if we didn't have those stupid blackouts every other game. It's infuriating and we should be very concerned. Come playoffs time, we gotta be able to close games.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

'18 WCF Games 6 and 7

BasketMAD, BigM and hakeem94 like this.
  11. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

The culture and tendency now among the players is to rely on James Harden to bail them out.

There were so much more team-wise spark last year and it was absolutely fascinating.

BasketMAD, Easy, ak99999 and 4 others like this.
  12. justtxyank

I doubt any team in the league has a 9 loss record that looks like that.

BasketMAD, clutchdabear and Obito like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Sucks coming so close last year, that is going to effect you mentally.

ak99999 and J Sizzle like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

This too. Part of it is on Harden, being the leader. I think this streak is great and all but I’ve always thought Harden is most dangerous averaging like 26 pts and 12 assits.... however that’s hard when your supporting class is building the border wall brick by brick.

15. SemisolidSnake

It's hard to imagine that in Harden's first year here, the Rockets were the fastest team in the league and a huge percentage of their points came in transition. Of course, they were also the youngest team in the league as well, I think. Still, my, how things have changed.

BasketMAD, ak99999 and vupac1 like this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They also have wins they perhaps shouldn't have.

Based on just watching more of those losses than wins, but you can't just add 9 games and be like "here's where they should be".

They've been injured

hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  17. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Me too. Maybe they have 2 or 3. All I'm saying is you can't just say we would be first seed if we had won all those games. You gotta do that for all teams... maybe we would be 2nd seed, or 3rd. Of course we are the champions of embarassing losses.

18. MystikArkitect

Defensive effort. You can tell when the Rockets “lock in” defensively. They usually win.

Yesterday was full of defensive miscues leading to Wolves wide open 3s. Then there was that pass by KAT for the wide open layup in crunch time.

Players who’ve regressed from last year: Paul, Gordon, Green, Tucker, Nene.

Players who’ve improved: Harden and Capela.

I have hope that they’re just waltzing to the playoffs and will lock in at the end and get the 3 seed. But my hope is fading fast.

BasketMAD, ak99999, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  19. justtxyank

The 9 listed are the "illogical losses." Blowing 26 points leads, blowing 10 points leads in under a minute, etc. These are losses that teams shouldn't have multiples of.

It's fluky, but it's not like I'm saying it means we are better than our record says. I'm saying this demonstrates issues we have with focus, effort, pace, execution, etc.

D'Antoni has known this basically from day 1 this year. He knew this team had a focus issue.

hakeem94, J Sizzle and Deuce like this.
  20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Title contenders don't have good records when you remove their bad losses, title contenders simply have fewer bad losses.

#20 Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    J.R. likes this.