1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets should start Patterson/Hayes/Battier/Lee/Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 23, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Obviously, the problem with this team is defense. We have too many players who don't play defense. Solution? Don't play such players. Only play players with good defensive skills.

If you don't believe me, remember that 2006 season before the Rudy Gay trade when Yao missed 25 games? We still were ranked #6 in defense that year. Why? Because JVG preached defense. We were also 29th out of 30 in offense. But that's not important.

Offense doesn't win championships. Defense does. Let's say team A averages 90 a game but gives up 92 a game. That is a good team and supports a potential future championship team. Because that team plays defense. One such team A in NBA history eventually had more 1st round exits until we changed a coach that doesn't preach defense and thinks defense is for wusses. But again, not the point

OTOH, team B that scores 103 a game but gives up 103 a game is the most awful piece of crap in existence. Because we all know that when both team scores more, it's horrible for winning. One such team B went to the finals next year and won the championship the next 2 years, but again, not the point.

Why Adelman and Morey don't know this, I have no idea. They seem to think that outscoring your opponent somehow correlates to being a good team. It obviously isn't. The key to any good team is the ability to hold your opponent to the least number of points possible. Regardless of how many you score yourself. It's disheartening to see the Rockets not understand this simple underlining concept. While JVG who led us to 4 1st round exit do.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Adding to the above post.

Team A added a full year of a top 5 superstar, and 1/3 of a year of the best center in the NBA.
    Team B added one stat-padding loser from another team that doesn't play defense and is soft as a tissue.

Obviously, Team B's future in the NBA was in jeopardy, while Team A's future in the NBA had to be brighter than Lebron and Wade playing together.

4. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

It must be a joke.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll wait until the deadline (don't really care what happens until then), but I'd like to at least see some of Lee, Williams, Battier, Patterson, unknown defensive center after it. You'd be depending heavily on Lee and Patterson to score and Williams to create, so we're not talking about a great team here... but my science experiment side would like to see what we learn from that group.

6. Rockets_4_life

NO, they should start..

Lowry/ Lee/ Williams/ Patterson/ Hill

Full "developing" mode!

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Clutch,

I too would like to see some of the young guys, but knowing how Adelman is, do you actually believe he would play such a lineup?

I mean is he a guy comfortable playing a total rebuild? I just think Adelman would never go for playing an all developmental squad.

DD

8. Happii

Happii Member

Then get out scored 50-100.
    Face it Scola and Martin are not going to get replaced on the starting line-up and Lee will never start. The Rockets need both of them on offense but on defense not so much.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Might as well make it:

Ish / Williams / Budinger / Patterson / Hill.

Full "tank" mode!

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Scola is my favorite Rocket, although Chuck is quickly catching up, and I love to see Kevin work in the offense but they are so one dimensional that it is driving me insane. If the Nets are truly interested in Martin and Scola then I'd seriously look into that option and look to Chuck/Patterson/CLee/TWill to pick up the slack along with a certain rookie we might get back. Obviously, we wouldn't be playoff contenders rather playing for the future but at this point, with the defensive unit we send out there nightly, we have no future.

11. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I could not agree more. The current roster has pretty much put me to sleep. I am still a Rockets fan but I just can't seem to get excited about this team/players any more.

I fully expect Morey to make a big splash one way or another at the deadline....either we get that "superstar" player or begin the "blow-up" rebuild process. Either way I hope to get re-energized by whatever happens. I could enjoy watching young players and getting excited by high draft picks, we whould atleast see some direction, or by making some noise with a true superstar. The team, as currently constructed, is in NBA hell (stuck in the middle).

12. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I doubt Aldelman is around next year if the Rockets decide to blow-it-up.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'd like to see Twill get the start in the future, he can defend and distribute. Maybe if we didn't have 3 starters that can't play D we could close out some games. I'd like to keep AB or Kmart but not both, use the other w/ scola and hill to try and get a good C.

14. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

This is insanity. The starters are not the problem. If anything (besides an outright trade) the bench needs to be tinkered. As it stands right now the second unit should be Williams/Lee/Budinger/Patterson/Hayes. Hill and Brooks should be damned to the bottom of the bench/trading block. Go with a three man rotation in the frontcourt for all I care.

15. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

If u fire Adelman, maybe OK

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Lowry
    Martin
    Williams
    Scola
    Hill

That should be the starting lineup.

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm not ready to blow this team up, yet. I want to wait until the deadline as clutch stated to see if Morey is able to upgrade the team.

I would like to see Patterson and Williams get more PT in the meantime, though I think it doesn't happen.

What I would like to see by the deadline, obviously an upgrade at the C spot and if possible another player or two that could help change the culture defensively.

I don't think an RA coached team needs to be as good as a JGV coached team defensively to succeed, but I would like the roster to have better balance. This roster as it stands is obviously not working. Still, let's see if Morey can make a significant move/s before everyone jumps ship.

18. FullMetal Sage

Who the hell is gonna score? You can't win if you don't have more points than your opponent. If the best defensive players of all time get lit up from time to time.

19. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

i like that but now JHILL please .. chuck hayes more defensive.

20. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

No they shouldn't.

Not because it'd be a bad lineup, but because it would crush most of Scola and Martin's trade value.

If you want to rebuild, you have be patient.