1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets Offense is Basketball Art

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by samtaylor, Mar 22, 2017.

1. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yeah from basketball shart:

[​IMG]

To basketball art.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Love Coach Daniels...but lols at using 4 plays with Ryno and Ariza attacking off the dribble to defeat a hedging defender. Those might be the only 4 drives in the last 2 months they converted. :D

The first segment on how we attack a sagging big man is why we have crushed MEM the last two games, and why I'm not scared of them at all. (They are the worst shooting team in the NBA, to boot.) I could easily add 5 minutes to that video of the same plays vs Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan and Gobert. Utah beats us more with lights-out shooting than Gobert playing solo defense in the paint. Harden has sliced up UTA in the paint for not bringing help. We need better defense against them.

I think the notion that there is a silver bullet defense with sagging defensive bigs is being overly-simplified by those trying too hard to announce a weakness in the offense. Thanks in large part to the skills of James Harden, MDA most definitely has an attack vs sagging big men as Coach Daniels points out.

#3 heypartner, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Reeko, da_juice and YOLO like this.
  4. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

When Ariza or Anderson shoot a mid-range 2...

[​IMG]

Houstunna, hakeem94 and Mr. Turbo like this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It isn't always as pretty as the video, but results are there. I'd like to see a video of all the plays that went over 10 seconds this year. I bet it's a quicker vid.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nice

Rocket River

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

bump, just cause I wanted to see both thread titles at the top of the GARM at the same time... BBS Art

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Kind of ironic; I consider the Rockets offense to be more a demonstration of "science" [maximizing what is possible within existing constraints] than an application of "art" [free expression and challenging constraints]. But then art can be defined as pretty much anything. ;)

/nerd

10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Its been beautiful to watch

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

It's amazing what having knock down shooters will do for an offense. It's just impossible to guard effectively.

Tfor3 and heypartner like this.
  12. threepointshot3

I know MDA is a brilliant offensive coach, but it dose not take Albert Enstein to figure out playing Harden off the pick and roll(with Capella and Nene) or Pop with Ryno at the 3pt line is going to be a success. McHale sadly was dumb as a rock and BJ .

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Eh, MDA's system is more than that. Backscreens, Spain pick and roll, pistol sets, etc.. are all subtle maneuvers to put your players in a better position to gain an advantage offensively. That's what separates the great offensive coaches from the good ones.

threepointshot3 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

not the best coach for sure in mchale but i mean instead of those guys harden had dwight, josh smith, beasley, tj, & dmo as his bigs to work with. not exactly the same outcomes one would come to expect compared to what harden has now.

Newlin likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I actually prefer the Thunder's offense, because with them, I actually get to watch a man average a triple double, in case you didn't know.

16. threepointshot3

I know that, but staple of the offense is spacing movement on and off the ball. When Harden makes a move pretty much the other 4 players are moving as well to give him better option to pass it to them. Under McHale it was guys would get in their positions and stand still and let harden bounce it for 24 seconds. This offense the ball and off the ball movement is evident.

17. threepointshot3

As I said in the other post the McHale offense had guys fixed in one position and there was no off the ball movement on offense.. This offense has guys moving non stop off the ball and presenting the ball handler with a lot more options .

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

basically this offense has guys that fit. the others i named harden had last year would not.

19. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

This also works :)

[​IMG]

samtaylor likes this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

McHale coached a team with Harden and a bunch of scrubs to 56 wins. MDA is doing a great job, and I'm very pleased he is the coach. But, this is this first year that Morey has finally given the coach the players necessary to play Moreyball.