1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets need to use unconventional lineups to win in the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fawadhm, Apr 10, 2015.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

start brewer! u have to make a new rotation now. he just needs to guard the other pgs, harden's role wont change. having terry and priggs backing up the guards and playing less minutes is better then splitting all the pg minutes between them in the playoffs. the opposing pgs will kill us otherwise

start brewer and give capella some burn, if he sucks then stick with dorsey. a pf/c rotation of dwight, smith and jones is good enough. all 3 can block shots, its not like when dwight is out we'll have zero rim protection with those 2 out there. capella or dorsey get one or two runs on the court for 3-5min. then have smith and jones play the rest of hte backup center. there should only be about 15minutes anyway with as the starter

brewer/prigs
    harden/terry
    ariza/brewer/kostas
    jones/smith
    dwight/capella or dorsey

tho they should've done something like this sooner so they can get some kind of chemistry going into the playoffs. i really hope they do something soon. u dont want two pgs at the end of their career guarding the stacked west's pgs in the playoffs all game long. lawd have mercy

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Good post, BBholic.

I think it is only a question of time, hopefully sooner rather than later, before changes are made. I am all in for increasing the variance. Injuries due to Bev (whose d was underestimated by me) and D-Mo, has made this team even more predictable.

A starting lineup of Harden, Howard, Ariza, Brewer and Kostas is very intriguing. I just worry how it would fare defensively against the huge front lines of the Clippers, Memphis and Portland. Against any other team, it might work.

3. basketballholic

Yeah, it wouldn't fare well if those front lines ground down on Ariza/Kostas, agreed. IT would be a matter of can we out-offense the opponent and force them out of their 2-big lineups. Can we front them down low with our smaller 4 man (something that I feel like Terrence should do anyways if he's going to start and play alongside Dwight) and turn them over? If we couldn't stop them up top and we folded in the paint, then we gotta get out of it. Which essentially means we won't win without replacing Dorsey so we can have 4 bigs that can actually play minutes for us.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would like to see something like this as well. Prig/Jet/Smooth/Kpap as well. Dorsey just can't be in there unless Hack a moron is off the table.

5. MONON

MONON Member

I liked the strategy suggested in the article. I was also encouraged with the praising of Josh's passing, ball handling & P&R skills. But that's followed by "Putting the ball in his hands always runs the risk that he'll shoot it."

Can someone please write an article about the Rox without taking a jab?

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Increase the variance FTW