1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets Championship celebrations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SooneRockStro, Jun 23, 2000.

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Can you remember what you did when the Rockets won it all in either or both years or anything good from the celebration coverage on all the local news channels? I was in New York for the first one so I can't really say too much interesting about that, but I remember the second one vividly. When the Rockets swept the Magic I can remember Clyde and Dream giving high fives and Sam holding the Houston Post in the air saying, "That's two baby, and we might go for three!" And Robert Horry smoking the cigar is another one I remember(I think he did that again the other night.) I of course remember the "Heart of a Champion" speech, which is the greatest post-championship speech ever, and seeing Kenny Smith douse Clyde with some champagne and Clyde's eyes burning yet he was smiling at the same time. All the meanwhile Kenny saying, " How do like that Clyde" or something like that. And then seeing people waving brooms out on Westheimer and piling into pickup trucks with people they didn't even know and drinkin a few Buds for me. One thing that I'll never forget was everybody going down the street honking their car horns endlessly and waving a broom or two myself with just about everybody in my family watching on a big screen at a relatives house and everybody staying up really late just watching the celebration on tv. We eventually went out and just drove down the street honking our horn with thousands of our closest friends. Man that was a really cool night and I forgot just how great it really was and then of course the celebration parade was a couple of days later, but that really didn't do anything for me because it was just watching all the players stroll down the street. It was okay, but the night we won it was great. Anybody got any good stories of that night because it has been a really slow week and we need something to reminiesce about.

------------------

2. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do remember after winning the first championship, had to drive around for hours looking for my official Houston Rocket Championship T-Shirt. It was a blast though.

Did Sammy really hold a Houston Post after the 2nd championship? Because if I remember correctly, I thought the Post went defunct in April of 1995, right before the playoffs were starting. Maybe my memory is failing me. So sad....

------------------

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

It must have been a Chronicle then, but I thought for sure it was a post. You know what hang on, I've still got that paper I think and I'm gonna go find out.

------------------

4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

You're right it was a Chronicle and the headline read "Reign On!" Man you wouldn't believe some the stuff I still have from days gone by. Hell, I just found some other stuff I didn't know I still had. I've got a Dallas Morning News from 1995 when OU and UT tied 24-24. I've got all the Championship papers and papers from the ring ceremonies on the first night of the following season. You know, I should scan those newspapers and send them to Clutch. That is if he doesn't already have those papers.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SooneRockStro (edited June 23, 2000).]

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I was on Richmond after game 7 in '94. I always thought of that Championship as the Rockets graduation present to me.

Anyway, me and my buddy, both 18 at the time had gone to our beer store for party provisions and headed to Richmond. We were both amazed at the number of people there, all honking and cruising and celebrating. I remember feeling 100% safe and I had no fear of anything like we saw in LA. People were getting out of their cars and running around hopping into other vehicles, passing out beers, and hugging and congratulating complete strangers.

After countless u-turns and more general partying, we headed home. We passed a cop car and we both yelled "Go Rockets!" or some such thing. The cops thought we were cussing at them or something and pulled us over. After explaining the situation, the cops made us pour out our beer and then let us go.

So, not only did the Rockets win me a championship after graduating high school, they also got me out of an MIP.

Damn I love this team.

------------------
    I need a new signature.