1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets can not sign Cuttino until August 1st

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 30, 2000.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always thought the Juwan Howard deal was over the salary cap. It went something along the lines of there was a clause in Tim Hardaway's contract (?) where he would get a bonus if the Heat won the title he'd get a bonus, and the NBA rated clauses based on teams. Before Howard, it was the Heat chances were poor, but with him, the NBA ruled they were good, and that money had to count against the cap, which resulted in the fines for Miami (were there even fines, or did they just not get Howard?).

I also thought it was the Wizards (Bullets) who lost a pick?

The NBA ruling would also be different, since the case would be with the team's own FA. But, let's not think of trouble like that.

I could be wrong on that stuff

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DaDakota,

Do you know the phrase clutchcity is owned by the Rockets?

Do you know most everything "unique" about this site requires copyright persmission from the NBA and the Rockets?

that can all go away really quickly. Clutch can't really flux his media rights like you could when you were a reporter.

I just don't see that Clutch made a huge deal out of it. Not as much as you are concerning freedom of speech. You are elevating this into a first amendment issue like all media has a propensity to do. I think CBFC is likewise making a big deal about the freedom issue. Come on...Clutch just said to Popeye and everyone else much of what you are saying: "Watch It; be cool".

I actually read your comments as in agreement with Clutch. This is a self-imposed exile by popeye. If anyone is making a big deal about it, it is Popeye. And again, no one knows why. We just wish he would decide to come back.

DaDakota...I admire your objective view. Consider the order of events here. It appears you weren't actually onsite yesterday.

1. Popeye reported either a completely false or a completely illegal agreement, unless he was just mistaken (as clutch suggests above, but after his farewell, I doubt it),

2. Aelliott politely said "ummmm!"

3. I wrote a warning post regarding Popeye's source might be exposed by this (especially since he gave a time). I chose to do this cause a new thread started announcing the agreement and quoting Popeye,

4. Clutch wrote the above,

5. Nothing really happened after that until we woke up the next morning to Popeye's exile statement.

I'm with you; I don't think the Rockets would stop anything, controversy is good as long as they stay detatched. Just consider those above order of events, reread Clutch's post and tell me again who needs to lighten up. Popeye should just come back. This bbs is not something for him to have to give up. He enjoys it too much, and we enjoy him too much.

I guess that I'm still in shock.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited June 01, 2000).]

3. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

HP:
    Do you know most everything "unique" about this site requires copyright persmission from the NBA and the Rockets?

By the way, that is not true - I would say that the most unique things on this site are the opinions and scoops on this BBS; it is my opinion, that is why I am making a big deal about it. It is damn hard to be indebted to an orgzniation you are trying to cover in a comprehensive way. The Chronicle absolutely does NOT provide such coverage, and up until now, this site - the BBS included has. That is why I prefer it to the Chronicle, and why I worry that becoming 'legit' has its perils.

I really respect the powers that be on this board, and the powerless that be - thats you, HP - but this is absolutely a big deal. I understand the dilemma, it is a b**** if you ask me. But little events are often turining points in the big picture. Like when we signed Chucky Brown.

If we need to censor ourselves because the Rockets might get in trouble and get mad, it is big deal. At least to me.

Power to the people
    cbfc

------------------

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

CBFC,

You know...your posts are soothing!!

I tell you what. If the Blazers can take the Pacers to a 7th game, I want the honor of yelling at #33 with you.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I concur that the biggest deal seems to be Popeye's self imposed exile.

I was not on site yesterday, as I was in Houston attending my Uncle Chuck Shramek's memorial service at the laugh stop hosted by KLOL.

And yes I do agree that you should not post erroneous info, but so much bad info is floated around here, that you have to take each post with a grain of salt, and sift out the good from the bad.

I am done talking about this, as my only take resides in the first amendment, and not in the details of said argument.

DaDakota

------------------

6. today

today Contributing Member

Hey, if anyone still has Popeye's original post copied or printed out, please email it to me. I was at work and couldn't check the BBS during the day, so i missed it. Only today did I realize that his post was deleted. thanks.

rocketfan@tamu.edu

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight." -- Barkley on Pheonix Sun Chris Carr(...I think) after he missed a game winning free-throw.

[This message has been edited by today (edited June 01, 2000).]

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

STOP THE INSANITY! [​IMG]

No offense to you "today" but this is so indicative of how out of hand this has gotten. <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/006950.html">The post is right here</a>. It was never touched.

The thinking on the board all of a sudden is they are being censored, edited and deleted. That people's First Amendment Rights are being violated. That we are setting a "scary precedent".

All because I posted a rebuttal to clear the air, that prompted popeye to leave the BBS in a huff and puff style to lay the blame on my shoulders.

It's getting to be incredibly tiresome.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Clutch- if it helps, I certainly don't blame you a bit. I really don't think anyone else here does, but I can't speak for them. Only you can really know who (of consequence) sees this site. I don't hold you responsible for popeye's reaction, and I certainly hope no one else does.

10. today

today Contributing Member

I just feel like i got crapped on, and I am probably one of few in here that didn't deserve that. But, even so, I will go on...

LISTEN UP BBS:

I have not posted one single thing in support of Popeye at all. You know why? Because I am more loyal to the Rockets than I am to Popeye. I really liked hearing the inside tidbits that he had for us every once in awhile, but I was not going to cry over him leaving. Personally, I feel that Clutch was right in what he did, even if he were to have deleted the post, which i have been told now he did not. ANYTHING to prevent harm coming to the Rockets is what I support. I don't care how much of a long shot it is that some penalty might be handed down to the Rockets due to Popeye's post, there is that chance, and I don't want to see OUR team hurt because of it. Popeye obviously is sorry that he spoke too soon or possibly spoke errantly, but choosing to leave was his decision. So be it. There it is.

Clutch, even though I seemed to be made an example of, I still strongly support your stance and am proud that you decided to do whatever you could to help mend a potentially disastrous situation.

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight." -- Barkley on Pheonix Sun Chris Carr(...I think) after he missed a game winning free-throw.

11. Jim

Jim New Member

This is so ridiculous. I tracked this thread down after seeing allusions to it and because like many people I always found Popeye to be one of the best posters to read. I saw statements related to violations and a huge stink about free speech and so on. You know, I thought Clutch had posted something just blasting Popeye and so on.

Then I get to this thread... What is the big deal? Two people or groups need to seriously lighten up.

Free Speech??? Clutch didn't prohibit or censor anything. In fact he wasn't even rude. In fact he was careful and gentle as could be. He didn't even say much of anything except to confirm what heypartner and others were saying. My reading of his post was that he was trying first of all very carefully not to offend anyone and was not prohibiting anything but did wish to make his legitimate point. I'm not sure I understand why everyone didn't just read his notice and go, oops.

Popeye - See above. OK, that's harsh and I can definetly understand how you might be upset at yourself but after you've slept on it by now, ... see above. While I greatly enjoy your posts and you are one of only a couple I'll search for when I haven't read it for a while, there's nothing wrong with embarassing yourself over a mistake and your reaction to it when it was pointed out but if it has not stopped by now one could be excused for considering your behavior to verge on pouting.

12. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Jim,

the Great Papaya played with the fire of being re-source-ful to the BBS. He merely posted too quickly. I rhetorically questioned in the 'what about nine' thread whether or not Cuttino could be signed before Aug. 01. Popeye didn't respond. I didn't push. If he had merely given my question credence...

With all due respect, his credibility (IMO obviously) was somewhat dampened by this. I'm sure that he gets the info, but it seems like he's a bit to anxious to 'get the scoop'.

------------------

13. BigDog

BigDog Member

Hey Clutch,

Thanks for delivering the goods. People need to know the real deal and that's definitely crucial to your website as well as the Rockets. Good looking out.

------------------

14. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Achebe - I've seen this b4 but can't figure it out... what is a bi-uid? I'm guessing from the context that I've seen it in that it's like an alternate username (or alias). Enlighten me, if you would.

Where is heypartner anyway? I guess the Lakers in the finals was just too much for the guy and he's taken leave of the NBA.

------------------

15. Achebe

it's actually a little term that heypartner coined. He, as you surmised, merely meant a user with multiple (in this case 2) user ids (monikers).

I've evaluated posting times, spelling habits, accents and user ids, and I'm under the impression heypartner is a neuf-id or nuevo-id whatever you want to call it.

------------------

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Achebe-Are you saying nine? If so, use the term "non-uid"

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Achebe,

If heypartner has activated that many ids and you have spent the time figuring it out, both of you have too much time on your hands.

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.
    Donate blood!

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

18. Achebe

[​IMG]

my mommy doesn't let me eat chocolate.

p.s. I quit my job before I went to europe, and thus can catch up with thatCabbage and heypartner on post count by draft day.

p.s.s. thanks for the correction nike.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited June 20, 2000).]

19. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Achebe,

English: nine == neun Auf Deutsch:

Mango

Moonlighting as the Deutsch Spelling Police

------------------
    Live long and prosper.
    Donate blood!

Now...back to updating