1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rocket Guy - START CATO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moestavern19, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I can think of one very good possible reason not to play Cato.

If the Rockets coaching staff secretly thinks Cato is at least as unsalvageable as he appears to the rest of us, then the best way to preserve the possibility of trading him is to keep him off the floor. That way, some hopeful, gullible team that needs a big man can look at the Rockets' bench and say to itself, "Maybe if we gave that guy some of the PT his current team isn't giving him, he can achieve his full potential."

Isn't that pretty much what the Blazers did to us? Maybe we should learn from them.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

From what I understood, nobody on the team really likes Cato that much. Nobody on the BBS really likes Cato that much. Nobody in Houston really likes Cato that much and nobody in the NBA really lieks Cato that much (didnt he and Jermaine Oneal even have problems in Portland).

Why in the world anybody would want to start him is beyond me. He is bad. Really bad. He makes the team worse by being on the floor.

------------------
    American business long ago gave up on demanding that prospective employees be honest and hardworking. It has even stopped hoping for employees who are educated enough that they can tell the difference between the men's room and the women's room without having little pictures on the doors.

3. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Will, on the flip side - You would think that Cato could rack up some stats against 19-22 year olds in the summer league, to boost his trade value. But back to your point, if he Sucks against that competition, then we are stuck with him!!!!

It would be funny, not for the Rockets, if Cato did play and get whipped by Loreen Woods. Woods is making alot of GM's feel stupid for passing him up.

------------------

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I see your point Will, but what if he gets a triple-double against some team and they decide that they want to trade a whole lot to get him???

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, I know. I think I've realized lately how incredibly harsh this board can be sometimes and I'm trying to adjust, but frustration sets in at times. [​IMG]

As for talks, I haven't heard anything yet but I've been asking around. I have someone who owes me a favor so maybe I can get something there. [​IMG]

------------------
    Who's your buddy? Who's your pal? I am, aren't I?

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You would have to have heart and desire, and self-respect to get a triple-double and play good ball. Cato lacks that. Even a guy who isn't talented tries hard. I wish so badly we still had Charles Barkley on this team to motivate Cato's sorry @ss. Injuries aren't a problem, even when healthy the guy doesn't show any heart. I know it's a big contract, but the Rockets might be better off just buying out his contract in a year or so.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I completely agree with all your Ideas. Don't put him on the bench, and wait for him to come begging for playing time, cause he won't. Did any of you see how fat he got last season just from not playing, we can't afford to let him get any bigger and more out of shape. We need him to play so why not force him.

------------------
    -Junkyard Dog
    "Maybe we need an enema"
    - Othella Harrington (former pf for the Rockets)

Junkyard Dog's Houston Rockets Web Page

8. Miggidy Markell

I don't know where you heard that 1. I know for a fact Kelvin and Shandon are good buddies. I honestly think Shandon should be kinda mentoring Cato and encouraging him to play better so he gets that fight in his eyes like Shandy does on D. But I guess we have to get him back yet [​IMG]

------------------
    "Drexler wins the tip to Eddie Johnson........BAAAARRKKLEY! That's as high as I have seen Charlie jump, since about 1986" Comments made on a putback slam made by Charles in the 98 play-offs against Utah.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I dont know if Im right or not, but I can remember Steve/Cat ripping on Cato more than once for how much he sucks and his inability to try and get better.

------------------
    American business long ago gave up on demanding that prospective employees be honest and hardworking. It has even stopped hoping for employees who are educated enough that they can tell the difference between the men's room and the women's room without having little pictures on the doors.