1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The rise of Jabari Parker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Outlier, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

this guy reminds me of a young Paul Pierce. I would personally take him over low bball IQ Andrew "Rudy Gay" Wiggins. Bucks will be scary in the future and a threat in the playoffs this year if they make it.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd still take a healthy Aggie Middleton over him. Jabari wears his shorts too high.

malakas likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Speaking of the bucks...no one seems to be talking about Giannis. That guy is 22 and look at how well he's playing this year. He's only going to get better and with his physique that's kinda scary.

4. DMO (DJ remix)

Everyone thought Wiggins is unquestionable nr1 from that draft, and he still can prove that, but he needs to change his attitude (A LOT). He seems to enjoy spotlight and given he got tons of talent that will keep him around decent players conversation, but he haven't improved enough.

5. jbasket

jbasket Member

Nah, that Embiid guy.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Does he play any defense?

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It isn't a matter of attitude. Either a guy has the will to dominate every night or he doesn't. This is his 3rd season and Wiggins doesn't have the "programming" to force the issue every game.

I remember late in his rookie season at a game here Wiggins and Harden went at each other like tigers for the entire time. (I think they ticked each other off early. Don't remember what happened). It was beautiful.

But Wiggins just can't bring the effort and heart on a daily basis. To get over the top, T-Wolves need another perimeter guy to become the alpha.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Glad to see he's playing well.

I have noticed however that he's almost twice as wide as he was in college, and it doesn't look like it's all muscle. So that's something to watch.

9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

It bugs me when people ask these type of questions. You know I'd understand if it was asked about guys like Malcolm Brogdon or something because that guy is a rookie or a player who is just cracking a team's rotation, but this is Jabari Parker. He was drafted 2nd a few drafts ago. He is like the 3rd best player on the bucks behind Middleton and Giannis. I know it's an eastern conference team and the Bucks get no national televised games, but you would think that NBA fans would do a little research on players on the calibre of Jabari who have a high potential I'll of being one of the best scorers in the game. A little lazy.

But no, these past couple of seasons he hasn't really been know as a defensive player because he's more of a tweener. Too slow for 3s, too small for 4s. He's only 21 though so he's not a finished product on both ends.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's why I was asking :D. I glanced at his stats and his numbers defensively didn't seem to be good. They are really bad actually. I was wondering if his defense was better than his numbers showed. The OP compared him to Paul Pierce. Pierce was not a horrible defensive player. If I would have known I was going to be subject to a rant then I would have asked the question in a more carefully written fashion.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Paul Pierce was a monster. Let's not get carried away

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

Lol wait what are you sure you've seen him this year? Dude is trim as ever. Lost like 20+ lbs over the summer too.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I saw about a minute of gameplay with him in it. Looked like a Boris Diaw lite. But yeah I haven't seen him much this year so I could be wrong. I just saw some guy with a really wide build and didn't even know who it was right away. Didn't realize he was that size, but then again I haven't really watched him since college.

14. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Yeah, sorry about that Robbie lol. I guess it was a bit unfair because Jabari is barely in his 3rd season and really, who watches the Bucks other than the playoff series in which Parker was out for? Haha. Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude. BUT, I have seen plenty of times when people ask "how's his defense?" I remember when we traded for Martin I saw lots of people asking how is Martin's defense. I also saw people asking about Nene's defense this off-season. I always see people asking about a player who is a veteran already and how their defense is. I think there were even people asking if Hayward was a good defensive player. It just comes off as lazy haha.

Again, sorry about that.

robbie380 likes this.
  15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Jabari is scoring 20 in the first two quarters alone every game. If that doesnt remind you of Pierce...

16. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I don't see a Paul Pierce. Parker is much more bigger and powerful, but less fitness and skilled. If anything, I kind of see a Carmelo Anthony.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Pierce is a good comparison. He has a lot to improve ofc before he reaches that level but there is similarity. Before this season he looked more like a young Blake Griffin but now that his confidence has improved after the ACL, he uses more of his moves and skills than only his athleticism (like he did last season when he used to dunk everything). OFC he is not clutch like Pierce but was Pierce clutch when he was 21?
    Other comparisons is Big Dog with a much better work ethic and Melo who plays more teamball and is at least willing to defend.
    His defence has improved especially on ball, but it still sucks. He is a willing defender who gives effort but he just doesn't get team defence. Maybe in 2-3 years he will become an average defender.
    The other thing that is very irritating with Jabari is that he is very strong willed. While he puts the team ahead of himself he still insists in some idealistic bullshit . For example last year he said that he prefers midrangers and that's his "style" and he had to be coaxed to start shooting 3s like a modern 3.
    Now the latest is that he doesn't want to flail his arms and ask the refs for calls. :rolleyes: Even though he's fouled all the time he doesn't get calls this way.
    Hopefully he will grow up and come back to reality. Freaking mormons.

#17 malakas, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    hakeem94 likes this.
  18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Stopped reading at Blake griffin. Jabari is really meant to be a small forward. He would play that position primarily if he was on any other team. Jabari is at his best when he's on the peremiter. He's nothing like Blake

19. malakas

malakas Member

Last season he played the four only. That's why I said that based on last year you can make comparison with a young Blake Griffin. Back then Griffin didn't shoot form midrange and was a dunk machine like Parker is.
    Only this year lately has Parker started actually using some of his skilled moves and started shooting.
    Right now he plays both forward positions. He's a tweener not only a SF. Because he's stronger than most PFs.

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Right now he reminds me of mid-career Al Harrington. Given that he doesn't even turn 22 for a few more months, his ceiling is awfully high. If he can develop into a passable defender and if Giannis can develop a jumpshot, the Bucks will be able to build a contender around the two of them.