1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer] Twenty-Five Completely Reasonable Uses of David Fizdale’s ‘Take That For Data’

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Os Trigonum, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-play...id-fizdale-press-conference-data-5c35a21c9da7

Twenty-Five Completely Reasonable Uses of David Fizdale’s ‘Take That For Data’
    The Grizzlies head coach has inspired us with an all-time catchphrase. Here’s how to use it.

Shea Serrano
    Staff Writer, The Ringer
    Apr 17

Following Game 2 of the Spurs-Grizzlies series — a 96–82 San Antonio win — Memphis coach David Fizdale angrily ran through several stats at his postgame press conference. Mostly, the numbers were related to the fouls that were called (or not called) during the game, and mostly he was very upset about them. (The gist of his complaints was that Kawhi Leonard somehow shot more free throws than the entire Grizzlies team combined for the night.)

He raised his voice and grew more and more agitated as his words sprinted out of his mouth, essentially daring the NBA to discipline him. It was a silly thing to do, sure, because of course he’s going to get fined, but it was also a crucial and necessary thing to do because his team — now down 2–0 and headed home to Memphis — needed a boost. So I imagine Game 3 is going to go much differently for the Grizzlies.

That’s not what’s important right now, though. What’s important right now is that, to put an exclamation on the end of his statements, Fizdale fired up his fury as far as his body would allow him to before — and this was honestly incredible — he capped off a few sentences about how he was not going to allow his team to be disrespected by the referees or anyone else by spitefully proclaiming, “Take that for data!” To maximize the drama, he slammed a pen down on the table as he said the word “data” and then immediately got up and left without saying anything else.

The phrase “Take that for data!” is wonderful, and the only thing I want to do now is imagine ending different conversations with that same line.

Examples include:

1. After you order your food at a drive-thru.
    2. After you finish having sex.
    3. After you score on someone during a game of pickup basketball.
    4. When you’re bragging to your friends about literally anything.
    5. When you’re an optometrist and you give an exam and the person asks what the results are and you say, “You’re blind as hell, bro.”
    6. When you’re explaining to your kid that you forgot to pick her up after school because you were playing Overwatch.
    7. When you’re a doctor and you’ve just told someone how long they have left to live.
    8. After you call your sister to tell her that her dog passed. (You have to say it sadly here.)
    9. When you’re at the Apple Genius Bar getting your laptop fixed and they ask you for your password and you have to tell them what it is and it’s something really stupid like “LoveSoGood69!” or “I_D0nt_Tru5t_M3xicans.” (You have to say it sheepishly here.)
    10. In a movie theater after a movie ends. (You have to shout it loudly here.)
    11. When you tell your husband that you’re pregnant.
    12. When you tell your husband that you’re pregnant and it’s not his.
    13. When you finish saying your wedding vows.
    14. When you finish complaining to the manager of a restaurant.
    15. After you tell someone you voted for Trump.
    16. After you score a touchdown in the Super Bowl.
    17. When you reveal to your kids that Santa isn’t real.
    18. When you’re at a parent-teacher conference and they ask you why your kid is misbehaving so much.
    19. When you’re a rogue cop in an ’80s movie and you’ve just killed an evil accountant.
    20. After you’ve just turned down a marriage proposal.
    21. When it’s the third date and everything has gone really well and you have to tell the person you’re with that you have an STD.
    22. When you accidentally sneeze on someone on an airplane.
    23. When you’re a judge and you’re ready to deliver your sentence.
    24. When you misplace your phone, so you ask your buddy to call you so you can find it and he does and it starts ringing and the ringer is “My Neck, My Back” by Khia.
    25. When you’re a babysitter and you tell the parents that you “haven’t seen one of the twins in, like, two hours.”
    I’m missing one here: When you’re Adam Silver and you’ve just fined David Fizdale $35,000 for criticizing game officials. Take that for data.

#1 Os Trigonum, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I hate that Shea is a spurs fan but Shea really is the goat. Love his work.

oelman44 likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

When you explain to Harden that he missed the NBA record by 1 point.

[​IMG]

When Morey registers on the bbs to correct misinformation on trades with basketballholic, but basketballholic doubles down

[​IMG]

4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. heypartner

6. heypartner

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If the NBA fines him I'll consider it yet another in a long list of reasons the NBA is probably rigged.

The guy read off stats. If they sounded like it painted an unfavorable picture of referees well.....

9. tmac1ming11

tmac1ming11 Member

I believe they already fined him $35,000

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I believe the statement "that was a poorly officiated game" is a smoking gun :D

11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

For what though? Accurately conveying what just transpired with numeric fact?

If he had said that with a smile on his face then what? He didn't paint the refs in a bad light. He read facts off a sheet of paper.

12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

ohhhhh yeah. well then. mystery solved.

about 6 grand per word there. stiff.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. heypartner

Take that for data

All coaches and players know and have been warned that any criticism of the officiated such as "that was a very poorly officiated game"..."they did not give us a chance" "Conley doesn't get the respect he deserves"

There is a zero tolerance policy on this at press conferences with a minimum fine of $25,000 for coaches.

Take that for data

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Opinions. Fining people for opinions lol...so it's rigged huh?

I mean it's not like he put anyone on blast. He had an opinion and backed it up with some data. Fining a guy a response does little more than acknowledge he's right.

15. heypartner

Point is, he knew he would get fined since everyone does. There is no discrimination on this. The coaches are actually knowingly crossing the line in order to get fined.

No offense, but you seem new to the NBA playoffs, if you don't realize Fizdale was asking to be fined.

16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

no i knew it was pretty much a lock you get fined if you start in on the refs but idk, seemed like he wasn't just taking a swipe at em...

he had data lol

been watchin for a minute!

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

@Derp McFlopsky don't get the respect he deserves because Derp don't go crazy on the boards, he has class and he just posts! I'm not gonna let @heypartner treat him that way! y'Know, I know hp got pedigree and Derp is a young poster, but I'm not going to let hp rook him! It's unacceptable! It's unprofessional! TAKE DAT FOR DATA!

:D

Hakeemtheking likes this.