1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer] - The Further the Rockets Go, the More They’ll Need Their Other Stars

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by watashi315, May 9, 2018.

1. watashi315

watashi315 Member

The Rockets have a date with destiny by meeting up with the mighty Warriors in the WCF, so how can we take down Goliath? As a diehard fan, obviously I would LOVE to have our team go to the Finals and win it all. But the way we've been playing in the playoffs so far, it's looking kind of iffy. The Ringer wrote a pretty insightful piece on how we match up and can beat the Warriors - basically Gordon has to play lights out for 4 games.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/8/17329322/clint-capela-eric-gordon-rockets-playoffs

Roxs-Redemption and BigM like this.
  2. sergio

sergio Member

I’m surprised as to how everyone is fearing the warriors all of a sudden. They are not the same team as last year and don’t have the same drive or hunger. Everyone who is thinking it will be a shoot out 120 point plus series doesn’t know basketball. This series will be decided by defense. I don’t see either team breaking a 100 points. It will be chippy and lots of fouls and technicals will be called. Rockets have stepped it up on defense and will shock all the talkers after game one.

topfive, Tfor3 and RoyalGuard like this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Thanks for the article but I’m going to respond to your “the way the rockets have been playing” comment because it’s something I’ve been seeing all over this forum.

What is the margin of victory the Rockets needed to display in order to have confidence for this series? Because they easily cruised in the first 2 rounds. They have 8 wins by an average of 14.5 points and only 1 of them was under double digits. It was not even close. The rockets can play better but they haven’t played poorly. What if they won each game by 40? Wouldn’t really mean anything going forward.

My point is, if you thought we had a chance to beat the Warriors before the playoffs started, I’m confused why anyone would change their mind now. We’ve done exactly what we were supposed to do and probably even faster than most of the media expected.

I get that the Warriors are favorites, but we’ve continued to display that we are a legitimate threat.

DreamShook, fryjol7, adw and 4 others like this.
  4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Don't you mean the:

UNITED Warriors

[​IMG]

tmoney1101 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Are the Warios going to rub their pelvises on Rocket shooters like Utah did? I don't think so. We'll be free stroking this series.

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The Rockets were clearly playing better during their win streaks than what they have shown in many of the games in the playoffs.

It's a legitimate concern because they'll need to be at the top of their game to beat the Warriors. The Warriors seem to be in top form across the board right now. The Rockets have a lot of questions. James has been hot and cold, Gordon has been mostly bad, Anderson is out of the rotation.

Capela and Paul have been mostly awesome, and James has been generally awesome with a couple of bad games.

Gonna need everybody to step up.

AFS likes this.
  7. watashi315

watashi315 Member

The Rockets beat there opponents in the first two rounds simply because we're a more talented team. Yes, the Wolves were fully healthy when they played us but Harden/CP3/Capela > Butler/KAT/Wiggins. Jazz played much better than us "as a team" but they have injury issues and an inexperienced rookie Mitchell. Talent wise, Jazz just isn't on our level. Don't get me wrong, Mitchell is my pick for ROY and I think he'll be an All-Star next year if he keeps this up. As good as he has been all season, he can't carry the team against a stacked Rockets. No that we finally get to play the Warriors in the WCF, we'll be playing against a team that has more talent and much deeper than our team (very rare). They also play a team cohesive team ball. So unless we get it together and play better "as a team", it'll be hard for us to beat the more talented and team oriented Warriors. Also, the article mentions how the Warriors will basically take Capela out of his game. If that's the case, that's a HUGE loss for us. Basically Gordon has to play out of his mind for 4 games in order for us to win. So far, Gordon has been spotty.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

GS has had their issues just like the rockets have. not all of there guys have been playing well. it just looks like that way for someone who hasn't seen every single one of their games. theyve gotten beat just like the rockets have.

9. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

^^^That's a post I made way early in the season, in December. I honestly don't know if it applies anymore. Gordon has been mediocre in these playoffs, Ryno is out of the lineup and Tucker isn't on our bench anymore. Nene has significantly declined (but should be better against David West). And Luc is still slowly getting his groove back. Our depth has taken a toll these last few months, hopefully one or two of these guys can be resurgent against the dubs.

However, Capela's ascension was an unexpected development. I don't know what the series is gonna really look like until game 1 in all honesty, but I do the Rockets have a damn good shot.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Depending on how hungry they are because the Rockets are hungrier.... all I know they already got them 2 rings......but I think Durant will be pretty hungry to get more.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

the old "anyone who doesn't agree with me doesn't know basketball" line is so annoying.

Tipjar bet right now that the winner of majority of games will score over 100 points. I'll bet you $100 right now to the tipjar.

If there are 5 games, 3 will be won by a team scoring 100 (or more), if 6 it will be 4, if 7 4. If it's a sweep we'll call it a push.

#11 justtxyank, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Look.... the Warriors are a monster, and they may very well won this series and a title this year.

However the idea that all of a sudden Eric Gordon has to play like a superstar is false.

The Rockets need better three point shooting from their role players but none of them need to turn into stars.

Also, the Rockets and Warriors have each gone 5 in their two rounds. The Spurs were a joke. They had almost no talent, they were without their best player and their coach lost his wife. That wasn’t a hard series. The Warriors are a terrible match up for the Pelicans.

We will play the games and see what happens. Neither the Rockets nor the Warriors have been pressed this post season.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Sure but there aren’t new questions about how we matchup against the Warriors as a result of the first 2 rounds. The Rockets need to play better to beat a historically great team. No doubt. But they’ve beaten 2 playoff teams by an average of close to 15 points per game. We are not by any means limping into this next round.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

My post isn’t about how we matchup against the Warriors or our odds of beating them. My point is that the Rockets have taken care of business easily to this point. It’s weird to sour on them right now.

On that note, the Warriors haven’t played a team nearly as good as the Rockets either. It’s an unknown for both of us, how this thing ends up.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Somebody tell Eric Gordon the playoffs have started!

Cash Cam and BigO like this.
  16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

If they were playing right now at the level they were during the streaks there'd be a lot more optimism. Right now it feels a lot more like a "puncher's chance" than "let's do this"

Cash Cam likes this.
  17. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

EG has to get going. He's been straight trash in the Utah series. Hopefully without Gobert clogging the paint he would be able to penetrate more.

BigO likes this.
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

we aren't the same team with Ryno/EGO no showing either.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

[​IMG]

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Eh, I’m not sure how much worse we look than we did during the streaks, if at all. Outside shooting is obviously cold but the level of intensity and quality of competition every night is superior to the average team we beat in the regular season.... and these games haven’t been close. We put up a 50 point quarter a week ago and have had multiple 30 point leads. Total domination.

If we won by 20 last night and Harden had 40 the mood here would be totally different. But that’s because Recency Bias is too powerful for the average fan to get their mind past. Both those things have happened more than once in the last 2 weeks.