1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer] Rockets-Spurs Is the 2017 Playoff Series We Need

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

didn't see anyone post this yet? here's some more media conspiracy

https://theringer.com/rockets-spurs-2017-nba-playoffs-994d8c69d5dc#.hitpzjc5v

Rockets-Spurs Is the 2017 Playoff Series We Need
    James Harden is exploding. Kawhi Leonard is still incredible. And if their teams meet in the playoffs, here’s how it will play out.
    Shea Serrano
    Staff Writer, The Ringer

On the evening of December 31, 2016, my sons and father-in-law and I went to the Rockets-Knicks game in Houston. We’d gone there to watch James Harden and also to boo Derrick Rose. The game was neat because basketball games are generally neat, but mostly because Harden, one of the four best players in the league right now, went all-the-way nuts. He put up 53–16–17, a stat line that nobody else in the history of the NBA had ever put up. Two things regarding that:

1. It wasn’t until after the game that I fully realized what we’d just watched. Harden has always appeared to be a bit into himself as a human. That’s of course understandable because, I mean, as far as humans and specific talent goes, he is exceptional. (This remains a fantastic response to a question.) As a basketball player, though, he plays as if he is unimpressed with his own offensive brilliance (and occasionally even annoyed by it), which is super interesting. To be sure, there are moments where he celebrates things, and those moments are fun. But what I’m talking about here is the way he moves, the way he floats, the way he bends the hard edges of the game into nubs. He doesn’t look especially quick, but he always seems to get where he wants. He doesn’t seem especially powerful, but he rarely seems to get bumped or pushed off his path. He doesn’t feel magnificent when he’s standing there during free throws or timeouts the way LeBron does or the way Allen Iverson used to, but he is. It’s uncanny. I remember looking at the scoreboard in the arena after the first quarter and seeing he had 8–6–6 and it was just like, “Wait. What the ****?” When he gets in that Destroy The Earth mode (which is often), he’s great to watch. I’m very happy that he’s on his Dwight Howard Is Gone liberation tour of terror this season. The NBA is better when James Harden is flexing.
    2. Children do not care about history. The day after the game, I was sitting on the couch at home trying my very best to make myself invisible so nobody would talk to me because that’s how I spend something like 60 percent of my awake time at home. (The other 40 percent is broken up among me lying down [10 percent], hiding in the bathroom [10 percent], and attempting to talk my wife into making out with me [20 percent].) I was watching a basketball show and they were talking about Harden’s performance. One of my sons was walking past, so I called him over. I explained how historic the thing we’d watched Harden do the night before was, expecting him to be at least a little impressed. He was not. His response: “Daddy, did the nachos taste weird to you? They tasted weird to me.” Children do not care about history. They care only about nachos.
    At any rate, I say all that to say this: At the moment, the Rockets are in third place in the Western Conference. In first place are the Warriors (31–5), and, barring something strange happening, like maybe mass alien abduction in the Bay Area or Draymond Green just kicking his own guys in the dicks during games, they are going to stay there for the rest of the season. In second place are the Spurs (29–7). And then in third place are the Rockets (28–9). That’s the first tier of teams in the conference. On the second tier are the Clippers (24–14), the Jazz (22–15), the Grizzlies (22–16), and the Thunder (21–16). It seems unlikely that anyone from that second tier is going to be able to chase down anyone from that first tier. (The Clippers would be the most likely candidate, but Chris Paul is a character written by Shakespeare so there will only ever be heartbreak for him.) Which means that the Spurs and Rockets should finish in the second and third spots at the end of the season. Which means that for the first time in over two decades we might be headed toward a Spurs-Rockets matchup in the playoffs.

more at the link

Raider17, Von Rafer, Yung-T and 8 others like this.
  2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

awesome.

3. eslate22

eslate22 Member

i like it... he picks us to win in 7

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Then lose in 5 to GS. Wrong!!!

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Shea is a diehard Spurs fan so I'm considering this a jinx and rejecting it

6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Rockets vs Thunder is what the fans want in the Playoffs. It would be cool if the Rockets get the Thunder in the 1sr rd, and if they win, the Spurs in the 2nd rd, and Warriors in the Conference finals. Classic.
    Only in my dreams..

7. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I don't think we should face the Thunder.

That game will go to seven games since we don't have enough good big to compete with them.

Same goes with the Jazz and Grizzlies.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The Jazz are overrated, the Thunder are not that good. The Grizzlies is the only team who scare me.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Shea Serrano is a sports writer now?

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I know he's just messing around, but this was super entertaining fan-fiction.

11. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I beg to differ. The Jazz is underrated. They have missed some key players due to injury so you don't wanna play them when they're in full force.

Thunder is good since they have some good role players and Russell Westbrook. The games we've played against them had been decided by single digits.

I agree with you on the Grizzlies. We'll need another defensive big to go toe on toe with them. Hopefully Morey will find someone soon while keeping our core intact.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't care who we face, I know they're going to be nervous about facing us.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The Spurs actually will be a good matchup for the Rockets.

Parker is no longer an explosive PG that can create shots off penetration, as good as the Spurs moving the ball around, they are pretty much more like a jump shooting and 3s team, that will play right into the hands of the Rox, we never afraid any teams that likes to take long jumpers.

This is a much preferred matchup that the Thunders.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

People going to an NBA game just to boo a player? That's pretty sick unless warranted wise such as Draymond Green 'the nutcracker'.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The games the Rockets have played against the Thunder have been close due to the Rockets choking. If the Rockets just work on to stop choking, they will be fine. The Jazz are overrated, period.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That was a gas to read. Thanks, OP.

17. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Memphis, jazz and clippers are not easy to win.

CapelaOnlyFan and TheMystery008 like this.
  18. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Rockets-Sacramento is the series we need. The first seed is within our sights. Only 2.5 games back.

19. bongman

bongman Member

Memphis came back being down 24 pts at Warriors home court to win in OT tonight. Warriors also lost a 14 pt 4th quarter lead against the Cavs. It's easy to think that we have problems if all we see are Rockets games. All teams have this issue.

20. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Does it mean houston should have a trade to against good center like M Gasol and power forward Randolph