1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Ringer) Rockets seriously interested in Robert Covington trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. JackLordsHair66

So, realistically of ALL those teams interested in RoCo we are DEAD last interns of what we can offer unless it somehow involves PJ/House/picks or Clint in that order ... in other words, the chances of his happening are about .0000000001% in our favor lol

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

It would take a 3rd team to facilitate Covington trade. MIN wants proven All Star PG or young player with All Star potential.

3 trade options:

MIN: Dennis Smith, Kevin Knox, Alonzo Trier, Danuel House
    NYK: 2 Rockets FRP, Tucker, Nene, Jarrett Culver, Michael Frazier
    HOU: Robert Covington, Josh Okogie, Noah Vonleh, Keita Bates-Diop, Kenny Wooten

BOS: Capela, Thabo
    MIN: Smart, House, Gerald Green
    HOU: Covington, Okogie, Vonleh, Robert Williams

WAS: Rockets FRP, Tucker, Nene
    MIN: Bertrans, Isaiah Thomas
    HOU: Covington

#562 D-rock, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

John Hollinger and Nate Duncan did a Q&A podcast recently about what really happens in NBA front offices - how trades are negotiated, how teams give up information about what they are/aren't looking for with potential trade suitors, etc. It sounds like discretion and privacy are highly valued in those circles - generally, most teams don't share information about who called about what asset with other teams. When I hear things like that it makes a lot of sense and explains why GMs that build trust with other GMs often deal with each other more often - trust is something that can be detrimental to your team's chances of making a deal if you break it.... So when I see news reports like these, it makes me believe the reality is this story did not originate with the GMs or senior staff in Minnesota - maybe it was a discussion a low level staffer was privy to about what teams might want Covington or something like that....regardless I wouldn't put too much time/thought into it - especially because the obvious trade is rarely the one that gets made. As they say - Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me...

D-rock, Corrosion and ThrillaNManilla like this.
  4. ch44

ch44 Member

I think the Warriors could be a likely destination as well, because the Russell trade talks are very real. I think the Rockets have a very little chance of getting him though because they want multiple 1st round picks from us. The Wolves have a higher asking price for Covington than maybe one else seriously on the market. It's kind of crazy.

Deuce, D-rock, Gray_Jay and 2 others like this.
  5. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I’d give two 1sts for Covington, he’s that valuable I think. I’d dread to think if the Warriors got him, it’s almost worth the picks just to make sure they don’t. You have Klay, Covington and Dray to defend Harden and Russ. Yikes

D-rock and jcmoon like this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You can go ahead and hand the Clippers a ring if they get Covington

foggy94 likes this.
  7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Yep. Kawhi, PG and Covington? Just unfair.

I don’t think they have the assets though. They can only trade this year’s first which is in the mid to high 20s of a weak draft, and they aren’t awash with young players. Unless they were giving up Trez I don’t see what Minny would want. Shamet and that 1st ain’t getting it done I don’t think.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not so sure about that. Clips would be better off trading for a point like Jrue Holiday and an upgrade at 5 spot.

2 firsts to have Covington back up Kawhi and George seems steep. Especially when Harkless is doing that very well now.

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. foggy94

foggy94 Member

That’s what I’m saying, I don’t think the clippers have the assets, they certainly don’t for Holiday. They can’t even give up two firsts because of the PG trade

D-rock likes this.