1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Results Are In! The Best Two Rockets Attacking The Basket Are...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Dec 4, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

His FG% in drives does not say that at all. His FG% on drives this year is better than both of the last two years, by a good margin.

2017 = 54.1%
    2016 = 49.6%
    2015 = 48.3%

DonKnock likes this.
  2. heypartner

Numbers for some key players to compare to MDA's PG Harden and McHale Harden.

[​IMG]

Notice Harden's FTA / Drive now equal Chris Paul's. I'm thinking true PGs are looking to pass when driving in the lane, so attacking and drawing fouls not done as much, thus less FTAs. This will drop your PPS, but the AST/gm become more important.

Harden does seem to use that floater more, which is a decoy for an alley-oop as well. So his passes are keeping defenders honest, thus less fouls ... like Paul?

Is that a good theory?

RocketWalta and don grahamleone like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Cor...Corey...Corey Brewer about to show the world?

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It almost seems like Harden is passing a lot more. :p

heypartner likes this.
  5. joomba

joomba Member

This is misleading because Harden is in a shooting slump right now. I remember Harden being like 65% on drive FG%, to go along with 50-40-80 shooting split 10 games into the season, but has taken a major hit to his shooting % due to bricking shots lately (which will go away eventually.) When you choose to look at players' stats matters (unless it's the end of the season), DeRozan & Kawhi both looked liked superhumans in the beginning of the season, not so much now.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I think the point that HP is trying to make is that Harden is passing a lot now, which drive and finishing statistics do not take into consideration.

DonKnock likes this.
  7. heypartner

No, what's misleading is you are comparing Harden to Brewer. Brewer drives are probably wide open.

His FG% on drives this year is better than both of the last two years, by a good margin. And it is in line with Lebron's drives

Harden
    2017 = 54.1%
    2016 = 49.6%
    2015 = 48.3%

Lebron
    2017 = 55.6%
    2016 = 54.5%

8. joomba

joomba Member

when did I compare Harden to Brewer?

9. heypartner

For PPS, yes. For FG% no.

Harden's FG% on drives is much better than last two years, and equal to Lebron's

Harden
    2017 = 54.1%
    2016 = 49.6%
    2015 = 48.3%

Lebron
    2017 = 55.6%
    2016 = 54.5%

I'm going to keep posting this because people let the OP comparison to Brewer mess up their thinking. The interesting thing is Harden's PPS went down and FG% goes up on shots from drives....due to the passing and increased Assists in these driving statistics

10. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Anything to keep Brewer from taking too many 3pt shots is fine with me, plus Brewer's had a pretty good reputation for being extremely streaky. Unless he's on a roll I'd much rather Anderson, Gordon, Harden, Ariza and Beverley take 3's (preferably in that order) over Brewer. And don't forget Dekker!

11. heypartner

Sorry, I assumed you were referring to the OP, which compares Harden to Brewer.

Otherwise, what stats are you talking about. Harden's FG% on shots when driving is up significantly, and exactly what Lebron does.

Not trying to argue, I'm just saying the Stats are perfectly fine. He's doing well.

12. heypartner

I think I'm going to start a new thread with my tables for talking about how the new system has changed Harden's Driving stats.

This one has too much Brewer in it.

imo: the Brewer stats are a good indication that the lane is much more open this year. As his FG% on drives was nothing like this during McHale/Dweert era.

13. joomba

joomba Member

Yes, Harden's drive FG% is better than his previous years, but I think it could get even better because he's shooting percentages has taken a major hit due to his recent slump, unless one assumes this slump will last to the end of the season.

For the OP, since there was no single mention of Harden's insane shooting & driving FG% when he was on fire, only pointing out Harden's numbers during his slump is kind of misleading.

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The only thing Harden needs to fix is his FTs

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This thread wasnt meant to put Harden and Brewer head to head.

It wasn't to show that for all the criticism they take, Brewer and Nene are good at something

16. joomba

joomba Member

I think you feel this way only because of Harden's recent performance where he laid a lot of bricks out there. But remember, Harden was automatic under the basket and beyond the arc until 10 games into the season, especially his drive FG% was something like 65%. Probably the truth lies somewhere in between, and I think Harden's overall shooting split - including his drive FG% - will improve as the season progresses.

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That's because, when he can get there, Brewer is legit around the basket.

DonKnock likes this.
  18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Thanks heyp!

He's also shooting a lower percentage on his FTs so that doesn't help his efficiency. It might be that his extra workload and increased activity on defense negatively affects his shooting in general, including free throws.

19. heypartner

This year, yes. Historically, no. He has very bad numbers in the past for these drive stats. Also, these stats don't include fastbreaks.

Check this out:

Brewer's Scoring Stats on Drives

[​IMG]
    My Theory: the lane is more open for Brewer in this MDA system, making it easier for him to score on drives.

That is why I say that using Brewer as a Control Subject, the improvement of Brewer's drive scoring is an indication of how open the lane is this year. I think he's the perfect Control subject, since he is a proven inconsistent player, and known for wild, whirling dervish drives that involve any dribbling. So, not only do we have MDA's lane-clearing system, but no more Dwert in the lane.

Of course, this is a small sample of just 24 drives vs 200 or so each year.

Batman Jones and DonKnock like this.
  20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Well put, HP.