1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Relationship between the NFL National Anthem thread and the Income disparity thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, May 26, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Is ownership.

What I see when I see million dollar athletes arguing about their right to protest at their employer's event which is their job, are guys who can form their own league and do what they please.

Black athletes go broke five years into retirement for all kinds of reasons, but mainly they don't understand how much money they have access to.

That's understandable, money' is complicated especially if you've never been around people who are knowledgeable, but they don't seem to have people they can trust

The American Dream is ownership. The owners have final say.

On, income disparity, it's really about the stock market since Clinton. If you've owned an investment grade stock portfolio, you've done incredibly well in the last 20 years.

That's not exactly owing a business but you have an income stream that you control.

In both threads, we need to be careful on criticizing wealth. There is nothing wrong with the profit motive

Athletes could help more with their money and they need to listen to owners about what they are saying about fan expectations. The more money made, the more for everyone. Then you have mote money to make tangible changes.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't know anything about football or wealth but you're definitely wrong.

- pgabs

3. Buck Turgidson

What you see are unionized employees who interact with ownership on a collectively bargained basis.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Do collective bargaining agreements routinely state decorum type requirements, I really don't know?

Edit: it seems like if players really wanted to fight this they would have to go through a violation of rights type of suit.

Are they could all keep kneeling, like 80% of them and force the owners hands

#4 pgabriel, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  5. Buck Turgidson

The NFLPA was not consulted on this new rule, so yes, their leadership is looking into how legal it is w/in the framework of the CBA.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Okay, that doesn't negate the point of the thread. Sports league's have a unique structure where the product is the player and they have more say so in everything related to that league, but I'm just saying ownership is something that should not be frowned upon in general

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While, theoretically, players could form their own league, in practicality it would be near impossible due to existing stadium ownership and lease agreements, among other road blocks.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ugh is this really what you think to post after that game last night?

Whatever helps us cope I guess...

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I really don't expect players to form their own league. I do think black pro athletes can be a lot more proactive with their wealth in helping poor black areas.

10. bobrek

Do they not do that?

EDIT

Here's a sampling

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-players-making-impact

11. Buck Turgidson

What game?

12. conquistador#11

I was hoping black panther would have a cameo in the thread. I disappoint.

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

#13 pgabriel, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You need to teach them money management.

15. bobrek

I’m not purposely being difficult, but what kind of specific things are you talking about?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not being broke after such a short time after retirement for starters.

In all seriousness, purchasing teams themselves. It's about empowerment. One NBA players could start their own bank. Not anything specific.

Taking advantage of having rights as an American like rich people. We as black people need to stop lamenting the past and celebrate the rights we have achieved and taking advantage of them.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Do people realize James Harden has over four hundred million dollars in guaranteed contracts. Just saying that's one player.

Players in evey league, especially the NBA can get together, buy a team,, and guarantee themselves a vote at the owners table.

Just change the conversation from always about the injustices.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Jack Nichlaus designs golf courses.

That's brilliant

Michael Jordan sells sneakers. And in all seriousness he should be celebrated more as a black athlete who has taken advantage of his personal brand.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Tiger Woods should design a fusion Asian/ Soul food restaurant chain.

pgabriel likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson