1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The reasons of loss: led by 8 with 2:50 left

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Dec 9, 2018.

?

What is the biggest reason of loss?

1. Mavericks are just a better team.

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. Carlisle is a better coach. Rockets don’t use right player the right way.

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. As usual, Rockets led by 15 points at half time and lost the game.

18 vote(s)
    38.3%
  4. Morey faults

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. vick

vick Member

Rockets would lead by 30 at halftime, and lose by Harden hitting a 3 in ovrrtime into Suns basket.

2. vick

vick Member

Overtime.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"As usual, Rockets led by 15 points at half time and lost the game."

can that actually be a reason? we lost the game because we lost the game? o_O

kjayp likes this.
  4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

To be fair, Doncic made some ridiculous plays. The were about 3 bad things that the Rockets could have done differently during that stretch:
    1) Capela forcing the drive when there was 3 seconds left and Doncic was still above the 3pt line. That's situation awareness where someone like Draymond has a 95 def rating and Capela is like at 80. I've seen this many times in the past and I'm chalking it up to youth and experience, but it's a disturbing crunch-time brain fart. Doncic still made a great shot.
    2) CP3 choking on free throws. He made a smart move to draw the foul while in the bonus. He just choked.
    3) Harden shot selection.

If the brain farts and choking doesn't happen, the Mavs aren't close enough for Doncic to pull off heroics. The little things matter, and this team isn't good enough to get away with the little things and win at an elite level. JVG would be pulling out the last of his shoe horn hair if he coached this team.

hakeem94, heypartner and napalm06 like this.
  5. BigBum

BigBum Member

Rockets have 2 kinds of offense final 3 minutes: 2 feet layup and 22 feet shooting.

Mavs use Dandre Jordan to defense 2 feet and rest of players to defense 22 feet.

Which one has more problem, offense or defense?
    Mavs score 13 points in 5 possessions. Rockets score 2 points in 5 possessions final 2:50 minutes.

hakeem94 and napalm06 like this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Why not foul DeAndre Jordan and let him shoot free throw?

Ramo$e and hakeem94 like this.
  7. farhen

farhen Member

so your suggesting that we let our scrub bench close out games? SMH

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

nope... didnt say that... I'm saying u plug them in throughout the game - so yer stars got some gas left in the tank to finish the game...

Same premise of playing a deeper rotation during the reg season so yer starters got more juice when the post season rolls around...

9. Farhan583

Farhan583 Member

Can’t do that in last two minutes. And he’s shooting about 80% this season.

10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

MDA is terrible on adjustments.

kjayp likes this.
  11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

We dont shoot mid range is also one of reasons. They can easily guard us.

We just brick a difficult three and game over. That is Rockets basketball.

12. kjayp

This is the reality:
    As usual, Rockets led by 15 points at half time and lost the game

and this is the reason:
    Rockets don’t use the right players the right way.

PeterKingX likes this.
  13. farhen

farhen Member

That happened during paul's hamstring injury and it lead us to 5 game losing streak, playing the inconsistent scrub is resulting more harm than good. If only tilman & murrey just thrust our 2017-2018 team to run it back for second time including 'ryno' we wouldn't had any of this.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

If only we had a thread for each game, where OP could post this question and not make an entire new thread out of it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. kjayp

i hear ya...

but had we just 'run it back'... we may have street clothes Luc sitting on the bench (played 61 mins this year...), a year older Ariza (whose shooting .368), and shook Anderson (shooting .317 - yes .317)... is that really a difference maker for this team? I mean maybe... but...

otoh, it is what it is... this is our team - these are the guys we got...

i say play 'em - play 'em all! Throw 'em out there... Hartenstein, Clark, MCW... heck throw Qi out there - i'm tired of watching him ride the pine! Maybe somebody develops... maybe they all suck and Darryl's gotta watch 'em lose games for us - maybe that'll heighten the sense of urgency to make a move or two for better back-ups... Regardless, we cant be expecting 33 yo old guys like PJ n CP3 to be playing 38-39 mins.... they're either gassed by the end - or headed to an injury.... either way it aint gettin us W's....

and the point on all the bench being in the positive - and all the starters being in the negative... I think we coulda squeezed a few more minutes out of our bench with out being severely detrimental - and maybe had a little more juice for our starters goin down the stretch... maybe not as many defensive lapses, CP3 not missing free throws, james not turning it over and throwing up an air ball...

I mean hindsights 20/20 (with both the roster and the minute disbursement vs Dallas)... but somethings gotta change...

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. bmelo

bmelo Member

you give minutes to gleague level players, you get gleague level performance from some players. its been like that whole season

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

bj3175 likes this.
  18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Just got to learn to play the game right out until the final second. Can never take it easy

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Additionally to our woes, we are not clutch no more!

Has to do with executing plays down the stretch, stamina issues, mental issues......

20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

They used to do this last year too. This year it's gotten progressively worse though with the lack of veterans and leadership. I blame the coach. Period. I never liked the Dantoni signing but played along because I assumed Les and Morey knew what was best but between not having set plays at the end of games to get easy buckets is basic. These players need to be held accountable for only playing 3 and a half quarters.

bj3175 and hakeem94 like this.