1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Real Madrid BBall Team Wants to Join NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Normalus

Normalus Member

They can play in El Paso (Don Haskins Center, 12k capacity) f.e., with some games in Spain during the season (against Eastern Conference).

But I doubt it would happen...

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

But I don't want less basketball.... I'm a fan of basketball... I like to watch basketball... the more basketball... the better.

3. OpenLayup-Why3?

It's all about the current NBA owners, not wannabe owners from Europe. If current NBA owners don't like the idea, it won't happen. And why would they like it?

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It would be interesting but I don't think people realize the total implication. If the European teams were to play, the following questions/points come to mind immediately:
    - Would European teams be able to to generate enough money to be able to pay players the salary cap?
    - how would the salary cap work with shifting currency markets?
    - Would this mean US stars could potentially make "max" money to play in the European division (essentially taking some of the big stars out of the US market)?
    - would the NBA's talent pool become watered down?
    - wouldn't agents of incoming lotto NBA rookies(and the rooks themselves) be against their players getting drafted overseas because the basketball market is smaller there thus limiting their sponsorship opportunities?
    - wouldn't Euro players be against this since a lot of those Euro skilled players don't get pursued as much in the NBA? That could mean their number of employers could potentially reduce by 5ish teams.
    - on the other side, Fringe NBA players would probably push for this because it would give them more opportunity since there are only so many NBA roster spots.
    - travel costs for each team would rise significantly in the US - are US owners willing to carry that burden?
    - An international TV deal seems like it would be a hard thing to negotiate(not a lot of common networks), although I assume there is a European wing of ESPN to help facilitate this in both continents.

....everything seems like it hinges around TV revenue so I couldn't see anything happen realistically until the next TV deal is negotiated(due for renewal in 8ish years). I say even if everyone is motivated and willing to start working on it now(likely not the case), it will take 10 years to get into Europe at the very least and again - that's if you can get all current NBA owners(how is this going the effect the value of my franchise), American & European agents & players(how is this going to effect the market opportunities of my stars? How bout my role players/bench guys?) on board to try to make it happen.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Makes more sense if there is an entirely different league there and they are separated like MLB used to be.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Why wouldn't they want to be in the NBA though? They would have to adapt to NBA rules, but they'd be getting top draft picks for a couple years and would be able to build a good roster that could eventually compete for an NBA title and legitimate recognition as one of the best teams in the world.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Dolla dolla bill y'all

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The NBA would revert to international regulations making Real Madrid more a legit challenge.

9. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Barca squad:
    PG: Iniesta
    SG: Messi
    SF: Neymar
    PF: Suarez
    C: Gerard pique

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If they were joining the NBA, I'd think they'd sever all their Euroleague ties and behave like an NBA team. They'd be in the draft, they'd trade players, they'd participate in free agency, they'd do everything like an NBA team. The only weirdness would be the first year, where they might need to do something extraordinary with the players they already have, perhaps do an expansion draft or other vehicle to bring their rosters and their payrolls to an even level with US teams.

I understand the appeal of going to Europe because there's money to be made there. But, given the complexity, I think it still makes sense to get deeper penetration in North America first. Vegas, Seattle, maybe San Diego. If they go international again, I'd like to see a team in Mexico City. It has a more populous MSA than New York. It doesn't have as much money as New York, but it does have the elite of Mexico. In a Brookings Institution ranking, Mexico City is the #18 city in the world for GDP, ahead of all NBA cities except New York, LA, Chicago, Houston, Washington, and Dallas. Incidentally, Madrid is #42, in the same stratum as Toronto, Seattle, and Miami.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am all for a world club tournament.

An NBA team on another continent is just too much hassle to work.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Oh ya, the other angle I haven't seen discussed here is that International teams don't play near as many games as NBA. Even if the NBA season where to be shortened, we are talking about US teams being able to bankroll on less profits from not playing as many games and would Euro teams have audiences to make money on games if they were playing more games a season? That alone presents a huge barrier because owners would be hesitant to eat those losses unless the league had some sort of compensation to level the playing field financially between owners of clubs.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The only thing that would make sense is to have an annual tournament that includes NBA teams + European teams. Make the prize money and trophy worth it so NBA teams actually try.

14. malakas

malakas Member

What is always failed ot be mentioned in the annual Euro teams to the NBA threads is that the local fans would revolt. Do you really think that the Madrilenos will want to cheer their team against teams that are across the pond and mean nothing to them? The fandom in Europe is all about rivalries. If you don't have a rival that means anything to you then why pay to come? There is a fundamental difference in fandom here. Fans don't come to watch the show. They come to cheer their team DEFEATING their archnemesis and rivals.
    Even teams from neighbouring countries mean much more than a far away team in the NBA.

15. J Hard

J Hard Member

Idiots are ample these days.

16. Fantasma Negro

I don't know about Euro teams joining the nba but I think it would be cool to see the nba champ play the Euroleague champ for true world championship status. And it would cool to see a couple exhibition games during the summer but cba blah blah blah

17. rockets13champs

LOL LLULL WOULDNT APPROVE

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Real Madrid by themselves doesn't make sense logistically. however, if you started an NBA Europe division of, say 8 teams who played each other 4 times each.

Then have each NBA team do an 8 game road trip through Europe, which logistically is more time efficient than flying there for 1 game. also, an 8 game road trip seems like a lot but the spurs have been doing something similar for years. the Euro teams can then make 3 large road trips to the states to play 8 games a piece. that's an 82 game schedule that isn't terrible logistically.

after a few years of high draft picks, and probably being preferred by most of the international free agents, i would bet that those teams become respectable nba teams within a decade.

you could repeat this process by opening up another 8 teams in asia and changing the schedule so that the euro teams play the asian teams while the north american teams play each other. the NBA could then realign the divisions to have these 4: North America East and West... and Europe and Asia.

the champion from the north american playoffs could then play the champion from the international playoffs for a world championship! of course with a 2-3-2 format.

further down the road, more 8 team divisions in south america and africa would complete the global domination of the NBA. the international conference would have 32 teams in 4 divisions (europe, asia, africa, south america), and be able to have a competitive 16 team playoffs, after which the champions would play against the north american champs for a truly world title!

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

if it aint broke - dont fix it....

Most companies that have success try to expand... and many get too aggressive with their expansion and as a result topple the whole company...

jus leave the golden goose alone...

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no way el Classico takes place without FC Regal Barcelona....

If that happens the 5 or 10 best international teams will be considered.