1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Push for a First Round Bye

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Dec 3, 2018.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your argument has no merit. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I was exaggerating, since I included the Bills and the Skins when their QBs went out. But seriously, out of all those quarterbacks, we didn't beat anyone really good except Luck. We lost against Brady, and he was the only other one we faced who is really good.

If you looked at ESPN's list of QBR it paints a different story. I like the QBR because it takes into account a lot more than simple QB stats, and is built from play level, and takes into account all a quarterback's contributions to winning and the team's success or failure from each play. It actually provides a clearer measure of QB efficiency. If you look at their list then you would see that "worthless Mariotta" as you say is actually one of the best quarterbacks we have faced this year. We did beat him once. So, almost everyone we faced is less than average, and that was part of my point.

QBR Rankings:

Brady 6
    Luck 7
    Mariota 20
    Prescott 22
    Allen 23
    Mayfield 24
    Smith 25
    Manning 28
    Keenum 29
    Darnold 30

2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

rather worry about a suddenly hot Eagles than looking ahead. Beating them at home in Philly is night and day compare to Jets, especially with Foles at the helm.

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think so too. They didn't beat the Rams because of Foles. They were able to score rushing touchdowns. We have to stop the run, but can't count Foles out from throwing a bomb across the field on our secondary. Our secondary has made less than average quarterbacks look really good at times. Look at Darnold for example this week. He is ranked 30th on ESPN's QBR, but had a really good rating this week.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And now you're blaming the schedule for our "shortcomings" on which of the best QBs we've faced so far.

Plus you and everyone else on this board have seen the type of unexpected turnaround we had once we got through that horrendous 3 game stretch to begin the year.

To summarize my opinion on this team; we're a solid team with a young QB and a questionable offensive line. Our stallworths are in our front 7 and we are extremely susceptible to the long to intermediate passing game. It will be a challenge no matter what team we face in the playoffs because they are obviously playoff teams for a reason. Nothing can mask your shortcomings by that time of the season, so the best thing to do is focus on your strengths and attempt to build on those throughout each round.

#104 FLASH21, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    desihooper and Hey Now! like this.
  5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

The Texans are a wild card team masquerading as a top 2 seed. The only way they make the second round is if they have a bye in the first.

Eric Riley likes this.
  6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So this looks like will play out as below :

Colts and Titans both highly possible will win next week and they will fight for the last spot of the playoff.

Ravens highly possible will lose to the Rams and also Steelers looks like will also lose in NO next week and that means both will only fight for the division winner and being the 4th seed at best and will face the chargers in the first round.

If we will lose to the Eagles, we will play the Colts of Titans at home for the first round, most likely.

But if we will lose to both the Eagles and the Jax, well, who will win the division? We could be the 6th seed?

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm not blaming the schedule on anything, LOL. I said this will be a tough game for us compared to a lot of teams we have played, and not a sure win, even with a backup QB. We haven't faced a lot of good QBs this year, but still had some tight games, so you can't think we will roll over the Eagles, but it would sure be great if we do.

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

The problem is every team in the NFL is a wild card team masquerading as contenders... the league has no A or A+ level teams just about 5-6 B+ teams.

None of the teams this year scare me and none of them are complete... in fact I think we are probably the most balanced of all the contenders.

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Considering nobody is undefeated and even the worst teams in the NFL teams have won games it is fair to say that anyone can be beaten by anyone else. Let the fun begin! Go Texans

10. Major

Major Member

I think the following teams are a clear tier better than the Texans:

Chiefs
    Chargers
    Rams
    Saints
    Bears

Patriots, Steelers have more variability in their performance, but their "best" is best than the Texans IMO and could compete with some of the above teams. I would probably pick the Ravens and Colts over the Texans in a neutral site game, and the Texans over the Seahawks, Eagles, Titans, and Cowboys, but all of those probably close to equal teams. Taking out the team names and history, the numbers bear this out - Sagarin is generally the gold standard of mathematical polls:

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

The overall rankings of the playoff-bye contenders (this was before this weekend):

NFC:

#1 Saints
    #2 Rams
    #7 Bears

AFC:

#3: Chiefs
    #4: Chargers
    #5: Patriots
    #11: Texans

Hustle Town likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yeah, I can agree with that list. The good thing is that we still have a chance of beating any of them and taking it all, even if the odds are against us. Anything is possible, especially if quarterbacks have a bad day or get injured.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know about Clear. Chiefs offense hasn't looked the same; barely beat the Ravens and lost to the Chargers (w/o Keenan Allen and Melvin Gordon). Rams just lost two in a row. You sure about the Saints after tonight's game? Bears D is playing lights out but I don't trust their QB. Your teams might be ranked higher than the Texans but I wouldn't say "clear".

K-Low_4_Prez likes this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The AFC South is the only division in football with 3 teams above .500.

You could argue that the Texans are the best team playing in the toughest division in the NFL.

14. Buck Turgidson

No, you really couldn't.

TheRealist137 and Major like this.
  15. Major

Major Member

No team plays perfectly every game, but I believe whenever the Texans finally face one of those teams, they will lose by double-digits (barring any new health issues/etc).

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I dont know about that since Deshaun Watson lost as a starter by more than one score in his season and a half.

17. Texanstradamus

Idk why it’s like everyone thinks the Texans still Have Brian hoyer matt schaub ryan Fitzpatrick yates osweiler etc starting watson gives the Texans a chance to beat anyone I feel like when the lights are brightest he will show up especially in a home playoff game whether it’s wild card weekend or divisional round this game vs Philly can be seen as a playoff game with what’s on the line

K-Low_4_Prez likes this.
  18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

You really could there are no bad teams in our division and we have beat all of them.

19. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I think its funny that the same people that predicted an 8-8 year (at best) are now complaining about a "fake" 10-4 year so far. So many people will never be happy. Live in the freakin moment. A 10 win team, currently the 2nd seed, is nothing to laugh at. We can only play who is on the schedule and this team has taken care of business against average teams/QBs. I cant hate on them for that. I will have my worries when the playoffs hit, but I also think this team has something up their sleeve - I wont be counting them out especially with 4, 99, 90, 10, 32... & 7. ;)

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm still in disbelief how this season has gone.
    How.....
    1. This thread exists.
    2. The Texans have 10 wins...
    3. The Texans currently hold Home Field and Bye......
    4. The road to the bye / HF is in their hands.....they control their destiny at this point, in week 15. 0_0