1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The problem isn't defense, its rebounding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrm32, Apr 27, 2008.

1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It always seems to me that when the game is close it all comes down to a rebound. The Jazz seem to want it more than the Rockets. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they're trying out there but to me it seems like they're really missing Yao out there. Not only does he present some interior defense to stop all those damn layups we seem to give up but also provides some rebounding, something that has been hurting us this whole series if you ask me. Heres hoping to outrebounding the Jazz in Game 5. I hope they win because I'll be there rooting them on.

2. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I'd disagree. Our rebounding has been okay IMO.. its just that we get bad breaks when it comes to that category.

A bigger concern is our offense. We are shooting so bad during this series its not even funny. Heck, Tmac is averaging below 40%! Scola's play has been sucky after his superb play in game1 and BJax has really been off during the series. 3/15 and 1/10? wtf. Granted that some of those shots are shot-clock pressured ones, he should atleast make the open ones!

gah

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is a make or miss league, nothing has changed for the Rockets, they still have too many guys who are low percentage shooters.....on the perimeter especially.

DD

4. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

Well usually play small with 2 power forwards and no center so that puts us at a disadvantage right there...

If we had Yao this play off series then rebounding definitely wouldn't be a problem

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Rebounding? Defense?

The whole problem is KNOCKING DOWN SHOTS

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Yep, agree. I always thought there was an irony about being a good offensive rebounder. Quite a high percentage of them play on teams that miss a ton of shots.

The Top 15 Offensive Rebounders include...Al Jefferson, Sam Dalembert, Jeff Foster, Brendan Hayward, Andres Beidrins, Nick Collison, Chris Kayman and Al Horford. Yao is #12. :D

7. luisantonio1014

That last rebound by Okur should have been over the back. He pushed Landry and then jumped over him to get the rebound.

8. lastmanstanding

I don't expect our offense to magically come together so I agree if we can control the boards with the way we've been playing defense, we can win. Of course better O doesn't hurt.

9. s3ts

s3ts Member

out-rebounding the jazz certainly would help us win, but who can bring it on? TMac can't be jumping up and down for both boards and shots!!!

we need a solid back-up center or power-forward who can box out offensively AND defensively.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I know no one is going to be with me on this one but i can live with Tracy shooting a low percentage. In fact, i don't mind anyone on our team shooting a low percentage on tough shots. What kills me is when guys consistently get good looks and miss them CONSISTENTLY including layups around the rim and free throws.

11. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Yao created a lot of good looks for our role players, especially for Landry and Scola. Now defenses, especially good defenses, can just pay less attention to them and just focus on Tmac. A good 3rd scoring option should be a priority for Morey this offseason, just somebody who consistently score without needing someone to open things up for them.

12. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Cosign

13. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Why they get more rebounds.

1-We shoot a low porcentage.

2- We miss a lot of 2nd FT

3- They shoot a miss a lot of long ball = A lot of Lonnnnng offensive rebounds

4- We are undersizes.

If we shoot a better percentage and make FT then we will win the game, because we are a great defensive team.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

The defense actually looks damn good last night, especially late in the third and the 4th quarter.

15. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

In two game is just one bad quarter the main factor of not wining the game.