1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Plight of the Rohingya People

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Izak, here is the question you forgot to answer: why should anyone but Myanmar accept these people? Why Bangladesh? Why Dubai? They are in Myanmar. Why not Myanmar?

Guess how long these people have been in this country?

You claim that I am loud about Israeli human rights violations, and you are absolutely correct. Israel is objectively a serial violator of human rights along with several other nations.

So you tell me: how is the notion that a group of 800,000 people have to be re-settled outside their home - and make no mistake about it, it is their ONLY home - a logical solution while you rip Palestinians for making the same requests of the majority immigrant population of Israel? This is a disgusting mentality.

The difference oh Mr Self-Righteous Immigrant, is that in all cases I do not support the removal of people from their homes. Not Israelis. Not Palestinians. Not Burmese. Not Rohingya. None. It's called consistency, look it up. In all of those cases I believe in all of those people living in all of that territory with all the same rights.

But whereas my view sometimes puts me on the anti-Hamas and the anti-antisemetic and anti-Islamic side depending on the argument, it seems your views always peculiarly land you on the anti-Muslim side. This much is clear not only to me, but to virtually everyone on this board as you have heard time and time again.

If I was like you choosing a side before hearing the facts, I would be like one of those people who demands removing all immigrants from Israel. If I was like you, I would be like those people calling for attacks on Myanmarese. But I am not like you. In the case where a people do not have a state, where they do not have their rights, I take their side. I'm kind of sick in the head like that. I don't hate one group wherever they go. I don't support all Muslims. In fact, I don't support anyone for their religion.

You, on the other hand, have already proudly declared that you hate the religion of 1-2 billion people. These people are inseperable from their core beliefs. If I hate your views on morality, politics, banking, marriage, child abuse, your entire belief system - then really this is no different than hating you. If I can not separate areas of your beliefs which I like from those which I dislike, and I proudly proclaim to hate all your beliefs - and that's what Islam is to them - then for all intents and purposes I would hate you. The only difference being I wouldn't hate the parts of you which are incidentally and involuntarily you. I suppose you expect a pat on the back for not hating people for their race. lol

Once again Mr Self Righteous Missionary, these are refugees whom no country will accept. No country is obliged to accept them. The fact that the Myanmarese authorities routinely and forcefully stuff them into vessels and send them to the borders of neighbouring countries such as Bangladesh and Thailand to shun their own initial obligations is irrelevant. They are in Myanmar. Myanmar/Burma is NOT EVEN A SIGNATORY TO THIS AGREEMENT. These are people born in Myanmar. This generation didn't immigrate there. They have not committed more crimes than Myanmarese people. They are poor. They have no country that will accept them. They are INSIDE Myanmar and they were born there and that is their home. Their home is not Bangladesh. They have not lived in Bangladesh. They have never been Bangladeshi.

This is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, no one else's legal problem. This is Myanmar's problem. They must deal with it, even if there are criminals amongst them. They can not ship off their problems. They can not push these people out since all the borders are closed to them.

Leaving your ridiculously xenophobic suggestion of Dubai aside, what should be done? If nothing is to be done and they are to remain in this state of statelessness, what do you expect will happen? Do you think that these are going to remain law abiding citizens while taking it up the a$$ from corrupt authorities and similarly out of control civilians?

This is low, even for you. Believe me, if you believe in Jesus, and if you are preaching Jesus to people as you claim, then it's probably best you reconsider your "career" when you accept the identical views of authorities known universally to be violently corrupt and unjust for decades... over 800,000 people who were born into a situation of optionless statelessness and rightlessness under the authority of those very same corrupt and unjust authorities. People who are stuffed into boats and cars and left at the borders of other countries to die or be sent back. Your only stated difference being of course - the women and the children - as if they are separable from their husbands and fathers and brothers, most of whom are innocent of any crime.

It is only more sickening because you are an immigrant and you are a missionary, and you don't want for them what you accepted for you and your children.

Keep telling us how you care about these people while your solution is: any situation where a Muslim majority country arbitrarily takes responsibility of them and certainly NOT the Myanmarese government taking responsibility for people who have been living in their country for almost a century. Your googling of biased articles is not only easily replicable by equally hateful people who oppose your views, but it is more transparent than the spit you have directed at one of the most persecuted minorities in the world with your merciless views.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you have one statement from a farmer of the ethnic group that has been fighting the Rohingya and who are blamed for this attack saying that the Rohingya burned their own houses down. Honestly do you put stock in that?

Totally agree that Bangladesh has behaved disgracefully.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Once again you gloss over my post, don't answer any of the questions posed to you, and launch another ad-hominem argument and personal insult.

Look over this entire thread:

Show me where I have given my support to the persecution of the Rohingya at the hands of the Myanmar government, Buddhists or military.

Show me where I have said anything derogatory about Muslims or Islam in this
    thread.

Show me where I have lied, twisted your words or made false allegations about you, the Rohingya, Myanmar or Bangladesh.

If you cannot, a retraction of your statements is in order.

~~~~~~

Your problem of late my brother is you have focused too much energy in your responses to attacking me and trying to discredit me, instead of arguing the facts.

I make no bones about it, I have many muslim friends and have nothing against the Muslim people, but I do have a problem with the Islamic doctrine.

You can still respect and have a relationship with someone without having to subscribe to, or even respect their beliefs.

I also take issue with other religious doctrines too, in case you're wondering.

-~~~~~~

You call me out for being a missionary, what have you done for anyone in a third world country? How many third world countries have you visited? How many poor & hungry people have you fed or clothed? I'm not here to glorify myself, but I am hands on. All my trips are self funded and I do it because I love all of the people of the world.

I think that what the Buddhists in Myanmar are doing is an atrocity and an over reaction to what is admittedly a gruesome and violent sexual assault by some Muslim men. They are using that provocation to 'evict' an ethnic religious group from their residence, using lethal force.

The Rohingya are also using violence and lethal force, but are outnumbered.

So what do you do? What does anyone do during a civil war type situation? You run to the border for sanctuary and asylum until it is safe to return, just like the Syrians, Palestinians, Egyptians, Algerians did during he Arab spring.

This is why, for now, it is Bangladesh's problem. Bangladesh are being urged to take on these people, even on a temporary status, but are refusing to do so in direct violation of international law.

And I am not an immigrant, I was born in Australia, my wife's Anglo family have been here for nearly 200 years, she also has Aboriginal blood.
    You have no idea what you are talking about again.

You have a fixation with the Aboriginal people of Australia, but I don't believe that you have ever met an Aborigine.

Your points are moot, your arguments invalid...

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Neither Burma or Bangladesh wants these people. Too radical?

I don't want these people here; quit treating the US like a landfill.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, just keep turning your back on victims of genocide. History has never shown that to be wrong in retrospect. What have you got against the U.S. learning from its past mistakes?

Exiled likes this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not understanding your point, did you really bump a thread a couple of years old just so you could say something insensitive about the killing of thousands of innocent people because they are different than you are?

You need to grow up.

DudeWah, Exiled and No Worries like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Washington Post published the following opinion piece a couple of days ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ravel-obamas-legacy-he-could-start-with-burma

Exiled likes this.
  8. Cohete Rojo

Straw man, as usual. There are other ways to help these people out besides allowing them entry into the US.

9. Cohete Rojo

Do you not read the news? Are you not aware of what is happening in Burma? For crying out loud, I just posted a recent article on the topic.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You seem to be misunderstanding as usual. It isn't a straw man at all. You do realize other ways of helping were also tried in the past, correct? In those instances, they were some of the low points in our nation's history.

Exiled likes this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That's precisely why I responded to your comment? I even bolded the part I had an issue with..

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"Rohingya" are an invention for propaganda reasons. They are Bengali Muslims who invaded Burma over the last centuries. Some of them have been committing terrorist attacks, for which many of them are now facing backlash, which is a shame for the innocent ones among them, but people from outside Burma should be careful to point fingers at the Buddhist majority there defending themselves against terror.

13. Cohete Rojo

What are you even talking about?

Really? It's not my fault you cannot read the article and realize that the Burmese are driving these people out of their homes by the hundreds of thousands. Both you and FranchiseBlade seem unaware of what is going on.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Look at what America did when the genocide in Rwanda and the other options they took there. Look at what America did when boatloads of Jews escaping the Holocaust tried to flee to the United States. Look at how the U.S. took other options in regards to the Native American situation when they were being exterminated in the U.S. The U.S. took other actions and used other options in that instance too. Look at any of those dark periods in American history and scar it has left on our nation.

This is probably pointless. But oh well.

15. Cohete Rojo

That is desperate reasoning.

There have been countless UN ceasefires that have occurred since WWII.

John Kerry sought effortlessly to broker ceasefires in Syria, as has the Trump administration. Is that a "low point" in our nation's history?

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What? I don't know what else to tell you. A cease-fire and efforts to broker them are not really analogous with the incidents mentioned above.

No Worries likes this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They are people who "invaded Burma over the last centuries" doesn't seem consistent with the history given in Wikipedia. What other source should I be looking at to understand the historical context of this conflict?

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Man... I know you are just some random intere poster and
    ATW logic: black Americans need to start forceably removing white people from the US because of their transgressions multiple centuries ago due to the slave trade.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I know things are tough around the world, but the US is not United Nations, we should not be expected to take care of every problem in the world. This should be dealt by the regional powers like China if they are interested in it.

Nook likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nope. But factions of the Bengali Muslims in Burma were attacking police stations and committing terror attacks, which turned many members of the Buddhist majority against all of them. This is very unfortunate and undeserved for those Bengali Muslims who were peaceful and wanted to live in harmony and had done nothing wrong.

But it's a dilemma. Let's say you are in a football (soccer) stadium. There are 20,000 fans in a section of the stadium. Out of that section, some fans are shooting fireworks onto the pitch, and they won't stop. It's impossible to identify who it is, and many of the 20,000 are covering up for them, possibly even helping to smuggle the fireworks in. But probably there are also many fans in that section who have nothing to do with this, but just want to watch the game. What other choice does the police have than moving them all out? Just let them keep shooting at you?