1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The player nobody is talking about: Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jul 11, 2014.

?

Would you trade for Paul Millsap

1. Yes

78.6%
  2. No

11.9%
  3. Undecided

9.4%
  1. Play07

Play07 Member

MOREY go see MILLSAPP first day ! He was an allstar, smart, can shoot fts, shoot midrange + 3, solid D...

If Love or LMA don't commit first couple days, offer MILLSAPP !!

sign and trade jones + Papp for MILLSAPP ASAP for a 10mill contract & hopefully we sign lull.

Dont let MILLSAPP slide away again, we could've signed him if we would've let ASIK go when we first got Howard and got more than just 1 first.

Don't skip over him like you did Lowry last year.

We can hold on to H & H, Ariza, DMO etc operate over the cap.

Cap will go up still can sign a star following yr, and MILLSAPP will always be tradeable

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bro, Hawks just came off a 60 win season, Milsap made the all star game for his second year in a row, he will want the max (will get at least 15 mill), even if the Hawks where trying to S&T him, no way in hell are wanting to trade him for a total **** package like Jones and Papa.

3. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I love Millsap, but he's getting WAY more than $10 million. He can do it all and can fit next to any big man in the league. The way this league is trending, his versatility may even garner a max deal, or very close to it.

His team just went to the Eastern Conference Finals, and as much as us fans say 'oh but it was the East', I don't think players think like that (as much). He is a perfect fit in Atlanta, they had the second best record in the league, and I just don't see him wanting to leave that.

Again, not against the idea AT ALL, but I seriously doubt him wanting to leave Atlanta or Atlanta wanting to let him go.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Re-stock the farm system! :p Or up your trade offers.

When the first 2 names that always come up in trades are Papanikolaou and Jones...

Yeah, sorry, you're not getting Marcus Smart, Paul Millsap or likely any other big name for a package headlined by those two.

KP is salary filler and Jones...he's JAG.

#44 J.R., Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Milssap will get more than 15 per. Hes out of our range.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

Well I guess I was going off his last contract. And you guys are right Knicks etc would offer him at least 15mill.

Just another guy we could've had for cheap gone. Hopefully we make something happen this summer during the chasing

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I can see Millsap getting targeted, but salary-wise and asset-wise, it's gonna take a substantial package similar to a Love or Aldridge sign-and-trade.

Would you give up, say, some combination of Ariza (pretty much necessary just from a salary-stand-point), DMo, Capela, Dekker, Harrell, Jones and future draft picks to land Millsap?

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If the Rockets want Milsap, they will probably offer everyone possible apart from H and H, and Ariza.

Atlanta had a fabulous regular season, but their post season performance was sub par.

The Wizards came close to knocking them out. Korver is out for a while now, and he isn't young anymore.

I do expect Milsap to re-sign with Atlanta, with Utah being a dark horse.

9. saleem

No way, he isn't worth that much. The Rockets shouldn't offer Ariza for him. Try to retain Capela too. All the rest is ok, plus 3M in cash. I know that isn't likely to get it done, but the only way to get him would be if he was interested in coming to Houston.

If he doesn't, that is ok with me. He is not as good as Aldridge.

#49 saleem, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't mean all of these things, just a combination to be selected among them. I'd imagine that most of these pieces are valuable enough (even if ATL does not have use for them, they can be flipped for other assets) that ATL would take them if the alternative is to lose Millsap for nothing.

11. mercy road

mercy road Member

The Hawks were just this side of mortally wounded against Cleveland in the playoffs. The will resign Millsap because he fits so well into their system. Speculation perhaps is best reserved for the random trade thread.

12. saleem

Yes, I understand what you mean. The only way, I would include Ariza is, if we could get Wilson Chandler too. He has a cheap contract, 6M plus, which is expiring, I believe. That's going to be very hard to pull off.

13. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

If we could hold onto D Mo I'd love to have Millsap.

14. Raven

Raven Member

The player nobody is talking about is Pau Gasol. He has two more years left on his contract, but the second year is a player option. Unless he has a huge drop off, I bet he declines his last year and becomes a free agent next Summer. He'd be 35 by then, but all it takes is one desperate team to pony up.

15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

He is a free agent...of course we can hold on to DMo if we wanted Milsap. The question is how much we are willing to pay Milsap cause he is gonna get PAID.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

still aint talking

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

agreed! it was a good package WITH the 18th and 32nd picks. now that the rockets got 2 guys who should've gone earlier than those picks, i bet they keep them.

the best trade package IMO is the NG salaries of papa and prigs with jones either in that package or moved for a future pick in a separate trade. morey's second favorite thing to buying low is selling high, and now's the time to do that with papa and prigs contracts being NG.

look for teams that are need to dump salary to move under the LT. they could use the instant savings of NG contracts.

nets - jack (they don't care about being over the tax / no need to move jack)
    pistons - jennings (not over LT but want to move him)
    heat - chalmers
    thunder - augustine (will have to add novak and morrow to get under the LT)
    warriors - they wont want to help us, and we won't want to help them.

i actually really like the idea of chalmers. look at how players with championship experience helped change our culture this year (ariza, brewer, terry). his 3&D style fits well next to harden. augustine and jack have done well everywhere they've been. jennings is the biggest name but i don't see him as a morey-type move.

i can realistically see us waiving prigs and dorsey, trading jones for a lotto protected first rounder, trading papa for chalmers, resigning all of our guys, and spending the MLE on llull.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I voted "Undecided"

Mainly because I'm unsure of what it would take to land him and I'm unwilling to part with a couple players who could be involved - DMo & Ariza.

If I could get it done without giving up any of Howard , Harden , Ariza , DMo & Capela then I strongly consider it. If I have to add one or more of those players , I'm not likely to do it.

Problem is that to make the salary work you'd almost have to add Ariza to any deal for him.

19. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

perfect time for a 1yr +1 player option

great chance at a ring and you still control your destiny heading into increased cap free agency