1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Player most Important to Success

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Aug 6, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

if you have viewed the Team report for Rockets on Espn.com, you might have seen the poll they had on which player was the most important to success. While Stevie appears the obvious choice, I voted for Cato, we know what Steve, shandon, and Cat are gonna give us. But with Cato, if he plays good, then we could be a playoff team. If not than we have no chance.

Which player do you guys feel is the most important?

------------------
    Rockets games are like a box of chocolates, you never know whacha your gonna get.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Cato is important, and his improvement will be key. However, I voted for Hakeem as the most important player to our success next year. If Hakeem could stay relatively healthy, play 65-70 games at around 25 minutes a night, and average 13 points/8 rebounds along with good defense, it would be a HUGE lift to our playoff hopes.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Second Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000965.html

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited August 06, 2000).]

3. haven

haven Member

Francis3422: You're right, if you mean that Cato is the biggest X factor. However, I interpreted the question differently. To me, the question meant: Which player's loss, if removed from the team, would hurt the team the most.

*shrug*... I'm not sure either interpretation is wrong [​IMG]

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

4. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I voted the same way.

I realize the Steve is the best player we have on the team right now, but unless something unexpected happens we know what to expect from him. That goes for the other players mentioned as well.

Cato is the key to our season. We have our other starting spots covered quite well by Shandon, Steve, Kenny, and the Wizard. We know what each will be bringing to the table.
    Our starting center spot has been a question mark for several years now and will remain so in the coming season.
    Has Cato worked out? Doeas he have the will to succeed under big minutes or will he show the lack of heart he did last year? We don't know what to expect, but if Cato does comes back ready to go, we're pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/6544" TARGET=_blank>Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! [​IMG]</A>

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited August 06, 2000).]

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Wouldnt that be taking Steve just for granted. Even if Hakeem and Cato play relatively well, but Steve is lost to an injury for an extended period of time. Then this team would suck. I love Hakeem and I like Cato too, but this team is nothing without Steve.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Insulting fellow posters without my permission is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

6. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Danny Langhi is the key to success this year.
    Remember how the Rockets stunk the joint up for 3/4ths of the season? Wiz was just awful at the 3. (as was everyone else) Shandon played well at the 3 but provided little scoring. If Wiz and Langhi can provide offense from the outside, it opens up the lanes for penetration and also for the inside game,IMHO.

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
    ---George Carlin

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited August 06, 2000).]

8. RENDIGGLER3:20

The only thing going to stop Francis from doing well is if he is injured.I voted for cato but now i think i will change my mind to the dream.If olajuwon can come back and get 13pt/8reb i think making the playoffs would be a bit more easier.But if he cant just his presence on the court helps a lot.On defense he can still stop up the middle and on offense he can still draw the double team.He played well last year,he can still get his shot when he wants and although his ability to block shots have dropped off like i said above just his presence helps.If only he can stay fresh more than 5 minutes at a time.

------------------

9. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I can't believe you guys didn't have a write in vote for Bullard.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

10. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

We've got another Matt Bullard clone in Collier.

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I had voted Anderson because they were disrespecting him in the column. I still can't figure out why the national media think he was a disappointment. Anyhow, if I wasn't trying to manipulate the poll, it'd be Olajuwon. If he can't play, we're in the lottery. If he produces well, we're in the playoffs.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

12. Thanos

Thanos Member

ACE:

"Cato is the key to our season. We have our other starting spots covered quite well by Shandon, Steve, Kenny, and
    the Wizard. We know what each will be bringing to the table. "

I beg to differ. You cannot seriously believe that we have the PF spot well covered wit KT.

If you ask me the signing of a PF is paramount if we are hoping to have a chance to reach the playoffs.

Without a PF, sorry, i don´t see and even if we somehow managed to do the trick, we would be out in the first round, which wouldn´t be much of an improvement.

I´d rather be lottery bound than face a first round exit without a solid draft pick.

------------------
    "Never underestimate the heart of a champion"

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'd rather lose in the first round than be lottery bound. First, how do you plan on getting some of the guys like Webber to come to Houston without having a playoff appearance to show for it? You need to be able to show some results and not just potential. You also want to be able to win it all when/if you get a Webber type player. And very rarely does a team that's never made it to the playoffs before succeed in their first try. If anything, Steve, Cat, and everyone else needs the experience of playoff basketball. I'd rather try and win as much as I could and pick perhaps 15th instead of losing a few games more and picking 10th. The experience our young players would get in the playoffs and the fact that FA's would perceive us as a playoff team are worth much more than 5 draft picks in a draft that is deep anyway.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Third Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000971.html

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited August 07, 2000).]

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The PF spot DESPERATELY needs to be upgraded. Either get a better offensive PF, or get one that can actually play defense! Changing the SF spot would be nice too. It seems Cato has rededicated, and hopefully we will see the preseason Cato in the regular season. The one that just plain scared teams out of trying to go to the hole.

On the PF subject, in the draft, Tyson Chandler seems to fit this team perfectly. 7'1'' with incredible range on his shot, he also plays defense (blocks shots), and is very athletic. The only problem is a lack of "back-to-the basket" post up game.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

15. Sane

Sane Member

Well, with this question interperting issue, i'll answer both.....

1- if it's method number one, the x factor, i would have to say hakeem....cause a healthy hakeem is a little better than an improved Cato.......

2- the other way, it's no doubt francis, and i'm sure everyone agrees.....

Playoff team, i doubt....unless we use the exception to get a PF....like Antonio Davis or Charles Oakley.....it has to be a defensive minded one though......

------------------

16. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I think that we don't need a PF to make the playoffs
    We were 9th in the West last year. Surely we can improve on such a record and sneak into the playoffs with our current roster.

As to the question in regard to the team's "success," I would first like to define what I would think of as begin that.
    To me, a place as the 7th seed would be a great success for us in the coming season. We will obviously need some time for our team to grow, gain a little experience, and add a bit of recognition to the NBA circles. We will certainly needed if Free Agents are to see potential in our team.

Do we want to win the championship, we will surely need to add a quality Power Forward. I'm hoping Webber will come aboard. Right now, Kenny Thomas has been doing a fine job. Together with Cato or Olajuwon sharing that position, I think we have enough to reach the postseason.

As for the comments made by NIKEstrad:

"The PF spot DESPERATELY needs to be upgraded. Either get a better offensive PF, or get one that can actually play defense! Changing the SF spot would be nice too."

Sure, to be a championship team we would need to make a lot of changes. But so do all the teams who didn't win anything last year.
    I could just say "we need to dump almost our entire roster and get a championship team." Not really saying much there, right?

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)