1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The One Thing That Will Make This Season a Success

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Nov 12, 2012.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Not a playoff birth...
    Not a lottery pick...
    Not even the development of the young players...

The one thing that will make this season a success is for Harden to shine... to shine so brightly that he attracts other premiere talent to come to Houston.

This isn't so much a new statement as much a reminder. The board was aware of this and came to this conclusion during the Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard fiascoes. It is the same sentiment and excitement felt only a few weeks ago when we acquired Harden.

Morey finally came to a revelation this offseason that differs from the Morey of previous seasons. Pre-2012 Morey-ball is much like the way I like to play fantasy basketball - find value-for-the-money players, exploit obscure trends in the market, and then over many reiterations buy low sell high, and work your way to the top. I want to say that he and management have even done a good way to engineer value out of players while they are on the court. He's clearly also thought of ways to adjust regular performance to correlate with playoff impact, citing metrics like ppp in isolation, performance in clutch situations, etc..

Unfortunately, this kind of roster management analysis only works in a non-marketing and consumer-bereft bubble where players + agents dictate little of how or where they end up. The reality is the NBA operates on marketable teams and star players. So every fan wants to see the Rockets turn into the Spurs or Thunder, but the reality is that these two franchises are outliers to the mean. Finals competitive teams are for the majority franchises in top markets or teams that scored a top 10 superstar level talent. This is the evolution of Morey and the Morey of now, one that seeks both advanced stat players and potentially high profile stars like Pau Gasol, Dwight, and Harden.

Our board has done most of the analysis. Tanking is an entire year at a time. Even if you tank, your odds at landing a true game-changer are rare at best. Morey isn't even really known for his ability to scope out "talent" missing out on Drummond, Kawhi, Faried, diminishing the value of Lowry/Dragic, but this is all besides the point. The reality is, it's just so hard and un-probabilistic to land superstars in the draft that can lead a team through the finals and not only that, but draw the interest of talent around them. And then you need two of these. After that, all the pieces easily fall into place, and you can sign great players desperate for rings for below market values.

As a fan, I completely want to see Terence Jones turn into [a lesser Howard], Marcus Morris into [Melo with Defense] and Asik into the turkish David Robinson. I would have loved to see the Rockets draft Kawhi/Faried (risk averse but unlikely star players) and stuck with Lowry (oh yes, I'm asian). Then by some miraculous feat, turn into some underdog version of the championship Detroit Pistons and win it all. As much as I want it, that denies playing the statistics of reality or Moreyball v2.0, which incorporates the consumerism and player psychology of the NBA. This is a much more encompassing analytic strategy and one you have to stand by if you want to move the franchise forward.

That corporate and franchise perspective has me admit, all the above guys mean squat and will be out the door if needed. It all comes down to Olympic Harden, marketing with Tony Parker, hittin' strip clubs with soon to be Houston Rocket superstar #2, and the ability to convince NBA players that he's about to show the world he's on Durant's level.

So while I eat doner kebab in Asik's honor and wish Terence Jones and DMo played 30 minutes a night and I weep every time I see a Lowry or Kevin Martin boxscore, that rational bit of me speaks, "God damn it Harden... score 40 tonight."

2. nono

nono Member

Harden is part of the consideration a future max free agent will have when coming here. He might be the major part, but there are too many other things too. What other teams are offering a contract ? Is Houston a desirable place vs other cities ? What are the marketing opportunities in this team vs a big market team ? What does the free agent think of Kevin McHale as a coach ? Too many factors.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

berth

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

The one thing that will make this season a success: if Comcast stops being an ******* and lets me watch some games on TV instead of watching games on ****ty internet streams.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

True success comes next season after stern retires.

6. deshen

deshen Member

Making playoffs matters the most. Trading for stars/draft good players is only part of the process. It is already 3 years, you do not want to have 4,5 or 6 years as a record.

7. nomangame

nomangame Member

1) Prove that we can make it to the playoffs by getting better day by day as a team

2) Be crowned as NBA champions

3) Attract another player, not necessarily a star, that can further improve the Rockets' game

8. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Crossover thnx ....pretty pretty pretty good article!

Keep up the god work brother!

...it is these kinds of posts i want to see here...not the silly whining and complaining or senseless bickering over nothing....

HAVING SAID THAT

[​IMG]

The only thing that will make this season a success is how you perceive it, how you interpret it to yourself...

Cause I am assuring you there are many Miami fans that aren't happy and satisfied...

The truth is we don't want things championships and rings and houses and babes and other stuff we want that beautiful FEELING of sense, purpose, connection and happiness that we think these things will get us...

and the best thing is you can have it even if rockets and harden sucks according to conference standings stats and similar...

9. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The season is already a success since we have our first all-star player thanks to James Harden.

11. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]