1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The one guy the Rockets CANNOT afford to lose to injury is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Edit: I meant CANNOT afford to lose to injury.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

With the Dorsey, Barry, Artest additions, the team has added depth, but there is still one who Rockets can't afford to lose. The team has depth in the front court (if Morey sign Landry back, and Deke) , if Yao gets injured there is Scola, Hayes, Landry, Deke, Dorsey, and maybe Ron to fill in for the bigs. The team also has depth on the wings, if one of Tracy or Ron gets injured, the other one and Shane will filled in more minutes, along with Barrry and Luther Head, if needed.

The team is screwed if Rafer goes down. All we have are unproven undersized Brooks, injured Francis, not quick enough defensively Barry and not-a-PG Head.

Yeah, TMac is a point forward, but things never ran quite as well without Rafer the last few years.

#1 Carl Herrera, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

to me this says more about the lack of PG depth on the team, however i predict this thread to turn into a debate about rafer's talent level.

3. Shay

Shay Member

QFT
    I hope Brooks will make big strided this year , especially shooting.
    If he still can't shoot next year we gonna need to trade for another pg.

Out of Francis , I don't expect nothing.

Head should play some pg with Barry and T-Mac on the floor if Rafer gets an injury.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Now that Rafer won't have to score 15-16 points a night for this team to be successful I think he is going to win some people over for what he CAN do well.

and I agree that the team cannot afford for him to be injured although with the new talent it won't be as frightening without him as it was last season. Ron can play some of Tracy's minutes so Tmac could play some PG. Barry can play a little PG also. Brooks can also benefit from having great passers on the floor so that all he has to do is get the ball across half court and let the court vision of Tmac, Barry and even Ron (I hope) make sure the offense runs smoothly.

5. rockets_fanatic

Rafer doesn't need to be an outstanding talent. He jsut eds to play good defense and run the offense well. If Raja Rondo can do it, I'm sure Alston can. And he did very well last year. Fan just don't notice that stuff. They focus on shooting percentages and averages etc.

6. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I completely agree...in fact I think we could've won against the Jazz last year if Rafer had been healthy the whole series.

Point guard is going to remain a conern all season. While I didn't like Bobby Jackson - I felt more comfortable handing the reigns over to him than to Brooks. I'm hoping Brooks comes out and shows he can be a playmaker this year, but in my opinion it almost looks like he's always looking to score for himself rather than get others involved - which is not something we need. I'd love to see Steve come out with something in the tank, but I think he's more likely to be trade bait at the trading deadline and I'm unconvinced about Barry at the point.

Morey has already done a lot this offseason - maybe after they resign Landry and Deke there will be some money left to go after a back up point guard. I'm not looking to replace Rafer (like I know many on this board are), just looking for someone we can trust with the ball when he needs a break and if he gets injured.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

If we want to get out the 1st round we can't afford to lose T-mac, Yao, or Rafer. If we want to become serious contenders we can't afford to lose T-mac, Yao, Artest, or Rafer.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

why so serious?

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed on both. I can't remember another situation where the value of a player was inflated to this extent simply because there was no viable backup.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Um, isn't the fact that there's no viable backup a reason to inflate a player's worth?

12. rocketanalyist

I agree that at this point, Rafer might be the hardest to lose, but that is from a regular season point of view. Playoff and championship wise, it is either of our Big 3. If we lose Rafer but have our Big three and everyone else, we will still win it all, imho.

That's why I also think we will have another move, even possibly before training camp to bring in another guard like Barbosa, Pargo, or Delonte West to sure up that spot, most likely at least involving Head, Hayes and another player or two not named Steve Francis. (more likely Brooks and/or Harris)

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

No I disagree..

This team only goes as far as Yao goes IMO.. Tmac also. Without either the Rockets are f*ked. :p

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

It's not just that he has no viable backup but that horrifically, he's actually the "leader" of this team. And that is even more greatly magnified taking into consideration the fact that he is the only guy on the team with any chance of keeping Artest in check.

The irony is so thick you can cut through it with a butter knife. The weakest link in our core rotation is somehow the most integral part of the team.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Well said. It's funny but it makes me want to cry.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The one guy we cannot afford to lose is Yao Ming. We can't expect to go deep into the playoffs without him even with the addition of Artest and a healthy McGrady.
    Rafer is also critical to our success,without him McGrady will have a hard time playing as a point forward,but Yao is the foundation of the team.Without him we are nothing.

17. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

WTF? Really?

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I feel comfortable with Brooks running the show in the regular season if Alston goes down. But in the playoffs we really need everyone healthy or we are done.

19. lastmanstanding

Holy crap! Too bad that wasn't the case in the playoffs. :p

20. Man

Man Contributing Member

it's a good point.
    basically, hopefully no one gets injured