1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Offseason Overreaction Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by santamaria14, Apr 25, 2014.

1. santamaria14

santamaria14 Member

It's safe to say the panic button has been pressed here in Houston. Nobody SHOULD be ruling out the possibility of another 0-2 comeback, which would ironically be the 20th anniversary of the Phoenix series... but since people are, it's time to start an overreaction thread.

Assuming the Rockets lose the series, and even if they don't and manage to go farther into the playoffs, the first move to be made is firing McHale. Hopefully Morey has seen by now that McHale's only skill as a basketball coach is giving players freedom (Harden has abused it so much so that it could be his downfall) and motivating individuals (individual effort, however, is different from togetherness... especially on defense). Assuming he's gone, what would you look for in a future head coaching candidate?

After coaching moves come player moves. With an impending chase of Melo in free agency, what other moves would you make? I dreamt up a scenario of acquiring Ed Davis from Memphis - although they've made it well known they are fond of him and it'd take a lot to get him - and swinging a blockbuster for Anthony Davis. Bizarre, I know, Anthony Davis is as untouchable as a player can be; but this is an intriguing offer. Give New Orleans Harden, Parsons, Lin, Asik, and 2 first-rounders. Take Davis and Gordon, and acquire Melo in free agency. Obviously, salaries with the New Orleans trade would be catastrophically unbalanced - a 3rd team (cough cough New York) would be necessary to make the trade work - but it would have to be considered, right? Houston would have Beverley, Gordon, Melo, Davis, and Howard. Jones, Casspi, Canaan, Daniels, Motiejunas as a core bench. New Orleans would have Holiday, Harden, Parsons, Anderson, and Asik, and Evans + Lin would be shipped to New York in exchange for taking on cap space. It works out... it's an overreaction threat after all, go all out.

2. HPD

HPD Member

Melo......yellow

3. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I admire your ability to be able to sleep and type at the same time.

4. dragician

dragician Member

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

5. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

What is this thread about? The overreaction in the GARM? The potential amazing comeback in this series? The looming collapse? The firing of McHale? Trades? There are already threads for all those topics.

6. afk

afk Member

Now to wait for the The Official Offseason Overreaction Overreaction Thread.

7. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

so they would basically be like last year's Rockets, except their PG and PF would be slightly improved. I'm not sure they are looking for that in New Orleans...

8. Gertso

Gertso Member

***** this place until the playoffs are over.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It's OFFICIAL!

10. BonziWellsGOAT

11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

I think fact is we're just not a team that's built for playoff.... good entertaining regular seasons sure, but when just about every playoff team got a reliable and legit 4, we aint going nowhere with t jones, yes he's young and promising... but he'll get eaten alive by the elite pf.
    not to mention our best player is struggling AGAIN in the playoff.

1 person likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not even sure of this. So much of our problems are things that deal with effort and very basic things that you don't know what this teams true potential actually is.

13. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

C'mon! OKC, Indiana down 2-1. If we win game 3, we are in the same position.

14. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Game 1, HCA: L
    Game 2, HCA: L
    Knowing how important HCA is for the NBA, with the next 2 games in Portland, if you have not panic yet when the F would you panic?

15. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Please just stop ok ?

What is this, a zombie apocalypse ?

16. adobo

adobo Member

Please Morey, do not make anymore drastic changes in the off-season. I do not agree in bringing in Carmelo or Rondo etc.. For me they are bad fits for the team and just brings too many drastic changes with the dynamics and chemistry of this team which takes awhile to build.

I would like Morey to just change the coaching staff and perhaps trade for an established PF and wing defender. Experience and team dynamics is way more important than bringing in a 3rd Star (for the sake of bringing in a 3rd star).

I really felt inexperience with coaching/players are the ones that really hurt us in this series (especially in crucial plays)....these are scars that have to be had before you can reach the top of Everest.

Let the team grow, learn from their mistakes, bring in a more experienced coach, get TJones to bulk up and grow in the offseason or bring in someone else.
    Unless we can get Lebron or Durant or Blake or CP3 or Curry or Westbrook, stars that can fit in...then I say stick with the core

17. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

We need to fire Mchale, trade Lin/Asik... Get veterans that are still relevant