1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official List of Unprotected Players for the Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Band Geek Mobster, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Band Geek Mobster

Click Me

The Texans must select 30 players excluding any restricted free agents or spend 38 percent ($27.24 million) of the $71.7 million salary cap for 2002. They could select as many as 42 players.

The link also provides the salaries of the players available, so who would you guys draft?

#1 Band Geek Mobster, Jan 25, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2002
  2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

No QB? Have you pretty much resigned yourself to the possible Dilfer/Carr/Quinn scenario? I think Blake is a serviceable qb. Chandler has been productive.

3. Band Geek Mobster

Ah, I originally had Charlie Batch in my draft, but then I realized I could just sign Trent Dilfer or Chad Hutchinson in the offseason.

I'm pretty sure Trent would love to play for the Texans since (I believe) his agent is in the Houston area and also he gets golf year-round.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Marcus Knight has never caught an NFL regular season pass so He is a huge risk, He was always a good practice squad , preseason guy, If he gets on with the Texans I wish him well. I heard last night the Texans are looking at signing Gus Frerotte The same guy Casserly drafted when he was in Washington.

5. Band Geek Mobster

Yeah, Marcus is cheap and I wanted to draft another WR, that's why I chose him...

6. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

NO!! :mad:

7. Band Geek Mobster

Damn gr8-1, I just misread your post...

I'm fine with having Dilfer as a starter and drafting a QB, I'm not sure which QB we draft, I'm hoping we'll just trade the pick and take another lineman and then draft a QB in a later round.

Maybe take a Rohan Davey...

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

A little confused here. Is it saying:

a. If we draft less than 30 players, it must account for 27.1 million dollars.

b. If we spend less than 27.1 millioin then we must draft at least 30.

c. We can draft as many as we want as long as we stay below 27.1 million.

9. Band Geek Mobster

:)

#9 Band Geek Mobster, Jan 25, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2002
  10. haven

haven Member

The cap hit would just be too much. 8.5m for a decent qb? No way. I would, however, take Blake over Roaf. He's two million cheaper than Chandler and younger. Roaf is a big cap hit, and evidently there are some medical issues with him.

I'd *really* like to have Aaron Glenn... but 8 million is really just too much for a CB unless you'rea ready for a title, imo.

11. TexasG

TexasG Member

You do know that Dallas offered Hutchinson a 7 year $20mil contract right? I've also heard that Washington wants him too. Why, I have no earthly idea considering he has never thrown an NFL pass. Come to think of it, he has not thrown a pass in an organized football game in over 4 years.

Also Biakabutuka is a huge risk considering he never played a full season. Dave Thomas would also be a waste of money unless they plan on playing him at safety.

Personally I think Blake would be a good pickup. He young, and talented enough to hold the QB position long enough for the Texans to wait until next year to take a franchise QB, and groom him.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

BGM, I think you misinterpreted that article. I think the minimum amount if you don't take 30 players is 27.24M, not the maximum.

13. The Cat

Also, if the Texans do as expected and draft Carr, he and Dilfer are reportedly best buddies. I'm sure Dilfer wouldn't mind mentoring him for a couple of years.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shane Burton might be a nice pickup. At 6-6 312, he can play end in a 3-4, and he makes $1.1 Mil. A decent number for a guy you'd project as starter on the D line.

15. Band Geek Mobster

Well damn Cat, I think you're right...

I'm such a moron...

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd take Jamal Anderson before I got Biakabatuka, even if Anderson is injury prone. From what I've seen, Tim is a fumbling machine. I'd rather have Jeff Blake at QB than Dilfer...even if it does take Roaf off the list. They could grab Mcdaniel from TB to play G...besides, Boselli and Roaf play the same position, and I doubt they'd want to switch to the other side.

I'd definitely take Sharper also...he's probably the best deal in the draft salary wise. One thing I hope they do not do is take any of these over-priced and overrated WR's like Alexander, Mccardel, or Rob Moore. Teague is also a nice pick at S.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

it's either/or -- we must draft at least 30 players (but no more than 42), or spend 38% of our 2002 cap.

18. The Cat

Ric,

Do you know yet if there's going to be a big announcement today at HPF? :D

19. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I'd go Charlie Batch, no question -- I'm a big fan of his, from the first game I saw him play as a Lion. His biggest problem has been injury. When he was in the games, healthy, and not getting sacked 9 times (Lions had no running game and a HORRID offensive line this year), he was a productive and good QB. His career got off to a solid start, as he led the Lions to the playoffs for a few seasons, then this season rolled around, and Marty THE IDIOT Morninghweg benched him after one game in which he got sacked 6 times, and had no running game. He's played well in the past, and I think he could be a VERY solid addition to the Texans.

20. Hydra

Hydra Member

Keenan McCardell
    Derrick Alexander
    Jamal Anderson
    Charlie Batch

The Texans start of with a pretty good offense, at least at the skills positions. Maybe a couple of OL guys like Matthews, Roaf, and McDaniel. Then Draft a good OT in the regual draft and this team could put some points on the board. Then you can look at the rest of the cap for defense/ST.