1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official James Harden is not a legitimate #1 option thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Jan 19, 2013.

1. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

2. amaru

amaru Member

fixed

3. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thrilled that Harden's first year starting at 23 years old is better than Joe Johnson's best year. Rockets have a bright future if they can keep this guy healthy.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

What is silly is confusing inexperience with lack of effort on the defensive side of the ball. Look at the top defensive teams in the league right now. All teams that have played together for some time and most aren't even close to as young a team as the Rockets are. Experience and brains goes a very long way in making a good defensive team.

6. M4-Nightvision

James Harden takes a lot of bad shots and sometime reckless and I think many people on here would agree with me.

Teams have film of Harden now as a starter and some have figure out how to defend him so his shooting % is going down.

7. ChandlerBANG

ChandlerBANG Member

How is someone with a 2002 join date so clueless? This has to be a troll post just to garner attention... move along.

8. rokit

rokit Member

i don't know, it could be, either way his jump shot is not "deadly" right now.

9. M4-Nightvision

James Harden is a pretty good shooter but his defense will prevent him from being that #1 . paul george just drop 31 on the rockets ...

10. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

well what the rockets are suffering from right now is both.

I'm not confusing them bro.

Im saying they're definitely independent of each other. (effort and experience)

they both contribute to defensive quality. Right now we are getting beat to loose balls, defensive rebounds, stls in the passing lanes. That is on effort. It has nothing to do with experience. The coaching staff needs to preach effort and what it means towards creating net positive plays throughout the course of the game. This message has to be reflected in their words, actions, and demeanors. If they're not doing that, then they're not doing a good job.

Experience helps plug holes of the very tricky variety. Tricks in the offense used by elite teams such as the Heat, Spurs, and Clippers.. the Thunder still run a very basic offense but they are supremly talented so they get by.

11. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Big difference, we have already heard Josh Smith wouldn't mind coming here. While he is not the end all be all, this is the team that Dwight Howard was scratching and clawing to stay away from. We have a player that other players want to play with and he is here for the long haul. That over any prospect or pick means way more to me.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

While the OPs assertion is utterly r****ded, I feel its important to point out that Joe Johnson was a great defender, whereas Harden is bad.

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Well, maybe having a few high picks, Lamb and Martin would probably get this team a few good players but having a star player is priceless. Having a star player like Harden helps the Rockets during FA, because he can help attract other star player to come sign with Houston.

The Raptors draft pick, Lamb and Martin isn't equal to a foundational player where you can build your team around. Having the player you can build your roster around is worth more than a few good players.

Plus, its the first year this team is together. They don't have good chemistry together yet and they are still trying to learn as a team. You can't expect the youngest team in the NBA and the least experienced team in the league to be a top team already. It takes time for that. The Rockets just had a bad stretch of games and you over here crying wanting Kevin Martin, Lamb and a draft pick back.

So many GM would love to have Harden on their roster right now over Kmart, Lamb and a lottery pick. Also, you have to look at this roster. The Rockets don't really have any talent at all outside of Harden. Asik is a good defensive player but a big liability on the offensive end. Lin is inconsistent at times and the Rockets depend on Delfino to play the PF during some stretches.

Harden just doesn't have enough help. James Harden is not Lebron James who can carry a very poor talented team. All the star players in the NBA are basically untouchable. The Rockets were very lucky to get James Harden who is doing a great job right now.

I think you're expecting Harden to become Jordan or something. Other than James Harden, who else could Houston acquired? Harden is a great player who's bring a unique game to the Rockets. The Rockets are depending on Harden way too much. Kobe, Melo, Durant and Lebron all have help.

Kobe has Steve Nash, Howard and Gasol. Lebron has Wade and Bosh. Melo has a solid team full of veterans that can consistently contribute nightly. Durant has Westbrook and Ibaka along with a solid team and bench. Chris Paul has Griffin and probably the best bench in the NBA. Harden has Lin and Parsons.... Do you understand? All the top players in the NBA has other talents around them to help them. Every great team in the NBA has a roster full of talents.

The Rockets 2nd and 3rd best player other than Harden are not star caliber player. The Rockets relies on Delfino off the bench for god's sake. Harden doesn't even have a PF that can be useful. So what do you expect Harden to do? He help set up his teammates for good open looks and if they can't make an open shot, there's nothing else he can do. The defense are swarming Harden all game long and he is expected to bail the Rockets out every night.

The Rockets 2nd leading scorer is Parsons who averaged 14 points per game. That's the Rockets 2nd option right there... Out of all the star player in the NBA, Harden has the least amount of talent around him and he manages to have a better record than Kobe and his star stacked team.

14. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

He's learning. Right now he's not. But he will be once he learns to play as the #1 option more. Right now he is the #1 option. I agree though, no defense. Worst defender I seen as the #1 option. He likes to sag around for some reason. Maybe conserving energy for offense.

Harden doesn't seem to be a leader type. I agree. Not very vocal. Lin looks like he is more vocal out there when playing. You can see him direct traffic. Harden maybe is an action guy. I don't know. He need some leadership qualities for sure though.

Also when you have an off night. Stop trying to force up shots. Dude was doing that last two games. Impossible shots to make. And foul calls weren't going his way.

This will happen in the playoff. We will see how harden plays in the playoff when it gets intense, and ticky tacky fouls aren't being called. Almost a third of hardens point are from fouls. Are we gonna see 2/3 harden in the playoff if no fouls are gonna be called?

15. lfw

lfw Rookie

Harden is absolutely capable of being the #1 option. Is he the #1 option on a championship team? Well that is to be determined. Luckily, he is still young and can still improve.

16. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

Rockets ain't a championship team when your 6'3 guard gets more rebounds than your PF.

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

look he's not gonna be LeBron and carry his team to the finals.

He needs help. That help also doesn't have to be in the superduper star level

it at the very least has to be Paul millsap level. right now we dont have anyone at that level.

Lin and Parsons have the potential to be there. Right now they're not.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL this could go down as an all time great thread.

OP says Joe Johnson's best season of his 11 year career = James Harden's 1st year as a top option, with no training camp to gel with teammates, at the age of 23.

Once again...these are the types of threads that make Clutchfans hilarious. Well done OP!

19. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

harden is only 23 and already a pretty damn good player.

my only cause for concern is that he has too much kobe hero ball hog in him.

whether that's him still learning the ropes or his inner selfish kobe i have to be the man and have the ball all the time i dont know.

im hoping for the former but im seeing too much evidence of the latter.

20. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

What? Were you waiting for Harden to have a couople of bad games just so you could make this pathetic thread? gooby pls

[​IMG]