1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Houston Dynamo / MLS Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 10, 2015.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd also like for the Domain area to be considered. It's growing, there is land up there and it's connected via our measly train line. Plus there are breweries around Metric that would be natural pre- and post-game hangout spots.

2. Beavis Stiffler

3. Beavis Stiffler

The 2018 "alternate" uniforms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well at least its better looking than the Utah Jazz's version of their "orange rainbow" uniforms.

ferrari77 and daywalker02 like this.
  4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Does that replace the other black one? If so I preferred that one, but I like this one too. So many MLS jerseys are plain and some combination of red/white/blue.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Looks like they are signing another Honduran. Forward Darixson Vuelto

6. Beavis Stiffler

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/26/2018-season-preview

http://www.totalmls.net/blog/2018/2/26/houston-dynamo-2018-season-preview

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So one predicts the Dynamo to not make the playoffs and the other is saying it's possible we get to the Cup? IMO, they were a mediocre team that won a few games at the right time last year...but mostly based on young and inexperienced players. This year, they're a year older and know what success feels like. I honestly don't know how they're going to do. I think losing Torres is a blessing in disguise. There's no more pressure to make him appear to be successful when he clearly didn't have what it takes to be a consistently good forward. They can rely on the guys that actually carried the team. Losing Rico Clark will be sneaky excellent for the defense...though Beasley still being there isn't a big help other than being a vet for the kids to lean on.

I can see them finishing somewhere around 4th or 5th in the West and possibly being able to get back to the Semi's.

Keep an eye on Atlanta this season. I think they're going to be one of the best teams this league has seen.

Beavis Stiffler likes this.
  8. Beavis Stiffler

ATL is legit and will be a big threat to Toronto's dynasty for the next couple of seasons. Fortunately, the Dynamo don't have to deal with one of the key players Atlanta signed in the offseason, Ezequiel Barco, is out for the 1st month of the season because of a leg injury.

Also, USMNT forward Jordan Morris from the Seattle Sounders has a torn ACL and out for the season.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Cabezas taken off early due to injury

Elis looks hurt too. No foul called, but was tackled with BOTH cleats up

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Offense looking just as good as ever

2-0 in the 23rd minute, goals from Wenger and Senderos

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

And another one from Manotas

3-0......

12. Beavis Stiffler

Well Damn, 4-0 and its only halftime. :)

13. leroy

Great start...but doesn't it seem like they always get off to a start like this?

14. Beavis Stiffler

I think its because they play like this at home more than when they're on the road. The big question is if they can use that playing style like they did in the season opener on road games. I mean if they can manage a .500 road record or get as many draws than losses then they can be a contender.

Tonight is another tough matchup at home against Vancouver. The Whitecaps have their own dangerous attack, Kei Kamara (former Dynamo player) and Alphonso Davies (18 year old and the future star of the Canada national team). For the Dynamo, bad news is Juan David Cabezas will be out due to a injury he suffered last week but good news is Tomas Martinez is back from his suspension and expected to play and contribute in the midfield.

15. Beavis Stiffler

There's also some new updates on the potential Columbus relocation to Austin.

16. leroy

Hard for the residents to complain about that site. I understand not wanting to give up parkland/green space. This is an unused, rather unkempt piece of land. Issue for the ownership group will be the fact that there is no current entrance to the property, no sidewalks in the area and traffic can be a pain. It is close to the Domain and a train stop. It's not surrounded by residential so the lights and sound shouldn't be an issue.

This looks like the best case scenario if the Crew are serious about this move. Otherwise, they'll need to start looking out off of 130...which is unlikely

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this location would be great and, frankly, better than any of the proposed park land spaces would've been. As you mentioned, it's near an existing train stop (although I head that Cap Metro has planned to split Kramer into two stops, one closer to the McKalla side of Braker and one near IBM) and there's plenty of space to make the area more pedestrian-friendly. The site isn't used for anything right now and it's adjacent to one of the fastest-growing parts of the city (The Domain).

All of the breweries on Metric would make for excellent pre-game spots and, so long as Cap Metro can work out a way to run the trains during games (no guarantee since they share track with commercial freight), this location could really be the anchor of this area. I still wonder if Austin will get the Crew, and where they would play while the stadium is being built, but this seems like the most realistic and promising proposal.

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Well, technically there isn't any access already built but that is the relatively easy part. The hard part is the rights to build roads which is already taken care of. The City negotiated with a developer of a housing complex to take some of their land in order to connect Braker with McKayla. Also, there is an existing city ROW for a road connect from Burnet. Here is a diagram of the master plan overhaul of the area:

[​IMG]

Basically, the goal is to really overhaul and redevelop all those warehouses and adding more avenues is a part of that. The MLS stadium would be one of the oldest buildings in the area in 15 years.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the city ROW from Burnet and to Breaker. The city also owns that skinny parcel of land in the upper left corner of the lot (547963) but I think it might all be drainage easement.

They think adding a commuter train stop at the site would cost about 12 million but they're also interested in a possible Light Rail line that Cap Metro leaked plans of. The entire plan was rail down Riverside, S. Congress, Guad/Lamar with a spur that would go off to the domain. However the likelihood of funding that plan in Austin is very low.

There is still the big question of the land needed for a practice facility. I think they might have more luck with Cedar Park than with Austin. The only site that the Austin city staff identified for a practice field that isn't on park land isn't technically in Austin. It's land in Sunset Valley that is owned by AISD.

19. leroy

Maybe they could take over Northeast Metro Park in Pflugerville as their training grounds. Keeps them on the north side and a park that could use a renovation.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Maybe so. I would think Cedar Park might be more likely since they could be close to the train. It would be really cool if it happens.

Who is the Dynamo's main rival?