1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. raining threes

Has from the beginning.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...the Texans have used the tag ONCE in their history(Dunta Robinson). Smart business. I think it has to with Clowney ‘s health and if he continues to get better on the field.

body slam likes this.
  3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

With a guy like him with his motor I can see it going the wrong way. I just think he'd take it as an insult to keep tagging him instead of giving him the money he wants and thinks that he can get elsewhere in FA.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So, a few things.

Clowney is a great player so I don't blame him for wanting to get paid.

At the same time I'm cautious about giving him this contract and the Texans clearly are too so...why is he still on the team? Around the time of the draft they should have called every other team and offered Clowney and took the highest bidder. That is the clear and obvious move here, if you don't want to pay a superstar player their money then you simply trade them and move on.

Gray_Jay and Two Sandwiches like this.
  5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

The problem was the GM and the HC didn't agree. The GM wanted to resign Clowney long term so he wasn't looking to trade him. But he is gone now and the HC is calling the shots.

#425 Chilly_Pete, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Because the Texans have 2 more seasons before they really need to decide whether or not he is worth a long term deal. As you said, there is reason to be cautious but with the way the NFL is set up, they aren't being forced to make that decision right now. Crazy thing is that they aren't forced to make that decision this time next season.

There were rumblings that the Texans were listening to offers and there were a few teams (namely the Bills) that could be interested but nothing of substance. Maybe they did and the offers just weren't there. Clowney is a good player but is he good enough for a team to trade a 1st on top of Mack/Donald money? Does a 1st round pick alone move the needle for the Texans?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Schefter said yesterday they talked to the Chiefs (and the Chiefs obviously went & got Clark)

red5rocket and gucci888 like this.
  8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would have offered him the same contract as Lawrence with a huge bonus this year, the approximate $20MM for year 2, and a palatable guarantee in year 3 to get to a 3-year value between $60-70MM (Lawrence got 6/$105MM with $65MM guaranteed). If he doesn't stay healthy you can be out from under it after year 3 with no real cap hit in years 4-6. If that was too rich, I'd try to use the Flowers deal (5/$90MM with $56MM guaranteed) to push the dollars lower.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. gucci888

Believe the Chiefs gave up the 29th overall pick plus a 2nd in 2020. Honestly that's not a bad haul for the Seahawks but don't think I'd send Clowney over to a conference rival for that.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why ? If he wants the contract...he will perform. Some of u are just clueless.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And where does it say Clowney will walk?

They basically have til 2021 to sign or trade him.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wasted how? Clowney will play this year. They can franchise, sign, or trade him in 2020. How is that wasted? Just because they didn’t do anything now...doesn’t mean squat.

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'll bet money he won't be here in 2020. And if he isn't, what is the point of wasting #1 picks on defense?

14. Major

Major Member

Actually, if he wants a big contract, he has competing objectives:

1. Perform well to earn a big payday.
    2. Avoid anything that risks injury.
    3. Do enough things to piss off the Texans so they won't franchise him again.

#1 alone means risking injury, which could kill his payday given his reputation. #1 and #2 just risk getting him franchised again next year.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

He feels he's already earned the contract though clearly. I'm sure he isn't sitting there happy being franchised knowing some other team would have probably given him the deal he wanted.

This is Clowney we're talking about. It doesn't make me "clueless" just because you have a differing opinion kiddo.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm glad the Texans didn't fold to this guys fake hustle. Clowney will play ok and settle for less or we just trade him.

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

I don’t care. I’ve said for over two years now that they should’ve traded him for a 1st and 2nd round pick.

Let some other team overpay him.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Clowney for Zeke :D

19. gucci888

There might be a few teams out there willing to give Clowney the deal he's looking for. Question is how many of them are willing to give up draft pick(s) on top of it.

body slam likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member