1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The nicest thing I will say about the Warriors - they NAILED the 09-13 drafts

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, May 26, 2015.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I just wanted to point out that the picks that the Warriors did nail were actually by a GM they fired prematurely. Apparently Thibodeau's hesitance regarding drafting Draymond Green contributed to him being fired and actually drafting Green didn't prevent Riley from being canned. Green is cursed.

2. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Other teams just should have made better judgements. Warrior drafts were fortuitous but they just didn't make the same mistakes the other teams did (like the Bulls choosing Teague over Draymond Green)

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let us just see if GSW can be that good for 2 or 3 consecutive years.....

There have been fluke teams in the past

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Wow...just wow. I'm in fact not a kid or "someone who doesn't really follow basketball". Your completely wrong on both counts. The fact you can't simply disagree without resorting to name calling and insults is FAR more in line with the way a kid would post. That's really poor form from a long time poster - you should be ashamed. I'm trying to bring something of value in my posts - don't come at me like that.

....so let me try and explain my point that obviously offended you so much. When I said they "nailed" the drafts, I was using something called HYPERBOLE. Look it up.

No, they didn't make the correct pick(in hindsight) for every single draft pick but NO ONE does. Given the odds you take drafting outside of the top 5, they did do exceptionally well for a team over a 5 draft year sample. Yes, they missed with Udoh(which I stated in my original post) but I don't think any of those guys drafted after him make them a championship contender 5 years later except Paul George. Aminu & Monroe are backup role players and Hayward is the classic "guy stuffing the stat line in meaningless games on a bottom rung team." Yes they are way better than Udoh, but that's more a commentary on how bad Udoh is than how good those other guys are. BTW, they drafted him as a raw freakishly long athletic project they thought they could mold into a defensive 4/5 - it was an upside pick and it simply didn't work out. I can't blame them for swinging for the fences here given they were a middling team at the time.

Cuongzilla likes this.
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Solid point.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think they will be contenders for the next 2-3 years but I don't think the 67 win team will ever return. Their season was an outlier among a number of outlier performances individually for the season and of course an uncharacteristically injury free season. All signs point to some regression by some of their players, more injury problems, losing a few of those 50/50 games, and not being so fortunate to have all their legit contenders suffering through injuries every time they played each other. In short Golden State caught just about every break they could. They are still a good team, but I would be shocked if they had more than 60 wins next season.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody is giving Kerr enough credit... I see tons of Curry threads but hardly Steve Kerr threads....

He is the main guy for kicking it up a notch this season. He is been a winner with the Bulls, Spurs......

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So you admit your OP and title where HYPERBOLE. You seem to like all-caps. And you seem to not like disagreement, thus not really debating with me but rather focusing solely on me calling your draft assessments kid-like.

And that was HYBERBOLE--"look it up."

And I said they NAILED Klay and Green. They got lucky with Minn picking two PGs right in front of Curry. At that point, everyone picks Curry. He was supposed to go higher on many draft boards.

Bottomline...Udoh was an absolute BUST (using your all-caps). And you don't really follow the NBA much if you continue saying Aminu, Monroe and Hayward would not be impact players. If nothing else, they are trade assets.

I think you completely underestimate Monroe, as well.

And then they took Barnes right before Andre Drummond.

Yes, teams "miss" all the time. Everyone passed on Green, and many passed on Leonard, too.

But in GSW's case, they had high picks and passed on more than just George taken immediately after them.

HYPERBOLE is not welcome in Thread titles in ALL-CAPS saying "NAILED." Expect to be challenged when you do that.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Why are you surprised that I'm admitting to hyperbole? I thought it was super obvious that I wasn't implying GS hit every single pick. If your unable(or unwilling) to understand hyperbole or know the difference between a child's post and a thinking man's post, then there really is nothing more I can say about this. Your the one who first tried to insult me(and continue to) because I don't share the same opinion as you or maybe because you don't like caps(?). I'm perfectly capable of having a reasonable debate about this but I'm(actually no one would) not going to take kindly to someone who immediately starts insulting my intelligence. By the way, who died and put you in charge of deciding when hyperbole is welcomed in a thread title? I don't think your qualified to decide that for the good people in this forum.

....so.

Greg Monroe plays for the Pistons who are not a very good team and this year they started playing around with him coming off the bench...on a bad team. He's a relatively one dimensional player - he scores and rebounds a little but most of the rest of his game is soft. 3 years ago people were saying "he's going to be really good" because he had a lot of potential then but he hasn't developed at all since then and in some ways he has even regressed. SVG has been shopping him for a while without much luck. He's not the PF of a title contending team or as I like to say, "he doesn't move the needle".

Aminu is on his 3rd team in his short career and was nearly written off by everyone until the Houston series when he looked like a legit player for his defense on Harden and his solid offensive play. That being said, there is nothing about his career before the last 3 Houston games that would suggest he is capable of sustaining that. I have seen a lot of games where Aminu could have played, but few that he did play and even fewer still that he played well in.

Hayward is the best of the 3, but again he isn't a game changer despite the fact he is a max contract player (SLC has to overpay people to keep them there - sad but true). He struggles in the role of a go to scorer and is relatively slow for a wing player. He's a crafty offensive player for sure and makes decent reads but he relies on his jump shot too much(he's an inconsistent shooter) and is a poor finisher at the rim. In short he's an average NBA level scorer but I don't think GS was looking for NBA scorer to draft when they had Steph and Monte on the roster(back in their take turns running the iso days).

Barnes before Drummond makes sense when you remember that they had just acquired Bogut and thought he would be their defensive anchor and meanwhile they had Dorrell Wright and Brandon Rush playing the 3 - two guys they were eager to replace with someone better.

You removed all context in your argument and just assume because GS took player B instead of player A, that they were making glaring mistakes. The fact is if you watched a lot of NBA basketball you would know that context is very important to understanding draft choices. You never once mentioned what the roster looked like while they were drafting. Drummond is a really good player - a franchise center even, but I think GS made the right decision going with Bogut and filling that whole at the SF instead. After all, they are probably a few games away from winning an NBA title and Bogut is a big part of that.

You remind me of the quote: "Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not that hard to pick Durant, WB and Harden when you have a top 5 pick c'mon now. If you had the top pick every draft you can pick Lebron, Durant, Griffin, DRose and Irving does that make you the greatest drafter ever?

For me the best drafts of the Warriors was when they picked the best player in a sea of similar players, for example picking Curry over Lawson, Holiday, Teague etc. or Ezili and Green over the 100s of potential 2nd round prospects. This is why I give the Warriors and Portland a lot of respect because they manage to get the best players when the talent is seen as mostly equal in their drafts.

11. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Law of average always comes to play, considering how badly the Warriors' did in draft before. Th funnest story back in the days was in 2002, they drafted Mike Dunleavy with 3rd pick, while the guy was not a top 10 on any teams list then.

The reason: he is a good character guy!

1993: Chris Web (#1) via trade Anfernee Hardaway (#3) with Orlando. Traded away after ONE year.
    1995: Joe Smith (#1)
    1997: Adonal Foyle (#8)
    1998: Antawn Jamison (#4) trade Vince Cart (#5) with Raptors.
    2001: Jason Richardson (#5), Gilbert Arenas (#30)
    2002: Mike Dunleavy (#3)
    2006: Patrick O'Bryant (#9)
    2005: Ike Diogu (#9)
    2005: Andris Biedrins (#11)

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You make a fair point.

Incidentally, I have yet to meet a Warriors fan that was respectful of the Rockets (or any of their opponents).

Granted, most of the people I've talked to have probably just discovered their life-long Warriors fandom this year.

Almost every bar here in Phoenix is full of brand new Warriors' t-shirts and jerseys, and people who "ooooh" and "aaaah" every time Thompson or Curry is on-screen.

So......... screw the Warriors.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This.

14. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

As the years went by morey got better at drafring

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

A guy I worked with at the time is a Knicks fan and wanted Curry bad and missed out by one pick.

16. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

The Warriors are a more nationally compelling and likeable team than many going back. The playa-hating is embarrassing. I work with guys who stay up late to watch their games to watch Curry. I haven't seen anything like this in a long while.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well yeah, because Morey acquired the rest.

;)

1-2 Hasheem Thabeet
    1-3 James Harden
    1-6 Jonny Flynn
    1-8 Jordan Hill
    1-11 Terrence Williams
    1-18 Ty Lawson
    1-23 Omri Casspi
    1-27 DeMarre Carroll
    1-29 Toney Douglas
    2-32 Jermaine Taylor
    2-34 Sergio Llull
    2-38 Jon Brockman
    2-42 Patrick Beverley
    2-43 Marcus Thornton
    2-44 Chase Budinger

roslolian likes this.
  18. Normalus

Normalus Member

Gordon Hayward.

glimmertwins likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Is that the worst draft since Yao Ming's year?