1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The New Twin Towers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Jul 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

to be fair, Kobe - TMac deal seemed imminent for a moment during Shaq days. And T-Mac did play like an MVP candidate, while Kobe had off-court and locker room issues.

That discussion has been pretty much settled by achievements and health.
    But still, it's in line with discussions like Sabonis - David Robinson. Or Drazen Petrovic - other Blazers' early 90s wings. Or Yao-Dwight.

A lot of what ifs, supreme talent on both sides of the argument, lack of health and luck on one side.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Late to the party as usual.:rolleyes:

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How the hell is Petrovic brought into a discussion about McGrady?
    Petrovic died in a car crash.

No, Kobe vs Tmac is very simple. Kobe. T-Mac didn't play like an MVP, he played like a scoring champion who couldn't lead his team any playoff success.

Oh like Tmac didn't have any issues? dude burned bridges like Bane did Gotham City.

And let's not just generalize "Health", there's something called commitment and conditioning. Kobe's been hurt and played hurt.

There's no LUCK about it. You work hard in a 82 game season . Then you work hard in the playoffs and you win or go home.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

There was one point in time you could have a legitimate argument about T-Mac or Kobe. It was a very short period of time, but I don't think you can deny that fact. Also, I really hate seeing the T-Mac playoff bashing. The man raised his already elite level of play in the playoffs. He was unfortunately never on a team that was worth a damn when he was healthy.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That particular discussion is Blazers related. Basically, Petrovic-Glide.
    It was strong once upon a time, but I suppose it's mostly forgotten now.
    I don't really want to go deep into it.

Lets just say there are many forms of horrible luck. Where and when you are born. Health. Accidents.

This basically.

6. koopa

koopa Member

They shold have omer asik and his clone Farkhan the 2nd rounder turkish delight to play toegether. They become twin towers

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

and lost hurt too. remember the post-Shaq season? this discussion was in full rage back then.

Kobe worked hard. Yet his Odom-Butler teams didn't look better than T-Mac's teams with very young Mike Miller and Gordon Giricek.

Lets not act like this is a superhero movie. Teammates matter. Health matters. Luck matters too.

frankly, i don't want to get deep into the T-Mac/Kobe discussion itself, it's pretty much settled now. And I never cared for Kobe or T-Mac much.
    but you don't seem to even acknowledge it and consider it as "Kobe hating". That's hindsight. It may be not true retrospectively, but if you call everyone who took part in it back then "dumb", then you better be one of the smartest people alive.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

then you need some because the team was never gutted.....
    Assets are given away for assets

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

With a few more pieces that would have been a very good team. They just lost to a couple of teams they should not lost to. Also, they tanked at the end. All they had to do was make the playoffs and they would have made a lot of noise.
    They have been giving teams like OKC, LA and SA trouble for the past 2-3 years. Don't believe me? Look at the records.

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Two white centers and an Asian PG. Must be the NBA's version of an affirmative action program. ;)

11. tinman

Supporting Member

you mean 2 pieces like LeBron James and Dwayne Wade.

dude this is what you wrote about last year's team.

Let me give you a reality check, we didn't have a perfect mix . The 'something good' was another 14 pick.

You need to actually watch the Rockets play. They didn't tank at the end.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/4/17/2954363/nba-playoff-picture-2012-rockets-jazz-suns

12. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Reading is fundamental.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Or learn how to read.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

knowing basketball is fundamental.

Look, you maybe in pure bliss when the Rockets scrubs like Thabeet and Greg Smith hit the floor in garbage time, but the other Rocket fans are not.

Go pat yourself on the back and put a banner on your bedroom saying, hey the Rockets won some games against some good teams and still didn't make the playoffs!

The thing about this thread is that you don't even know who the hell is going to start for the Rockets. It's just your fantasy that these guys will start and that want to label them "Twin Towers" after Olajuwon and Sampson.

Somebody needs to give you league pass... D-League pass.

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

So regular season always translates to post season? Awesome, if we sweep the Thunder in the regular season, just hand us the trophy :cool:.

1 person likes this.
  17. xktf

xktf Member

yah, right

18. tinman

Supporting Member

See dude, you criticize me for my Rockets history stuff. Clearly some people need it.

What's he going to label next? last year's team was Clutch City part 3? Hell he thought they were going to win 2 championships in 5 years.

you can't even win with that team on xbox.

1 person likes this.
  19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I apologize :eek:. Rep apology coming soon.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How am i fantasizing when the guys are currently on the team??:confused::confused:
    Not happy about not making the playoffs, just showing you that the team was better than advertised.
    Look, i understand you want to hate because thats what haters do, but try making sense when you do.