1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The new starters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by javashot, Nov 14, 2007.

1. javashot

javashot Member

I dont think the Rockets are coming out with a very strong offensive punch and I believe we have a better group of starters.
    Yao
    Chuck
    Bonzi
    Mac
    James
    This group will let us build a lead faster and keep the game at our tempo. Too bad we dont have vspan and stro. and i know pretty much everybody on here hates them by now, but I guarantee things would have been greatly different if Adelman was running our squad before. Stro is not great , but I think he is under estimated and also he has really stepped up this season. Vspan would have been a great fit as the starting pg on our new team.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

You have got to be kidding.

3. javashot

javashot Member

I guess u missed the memphis/houston game. People just dont like them because they didnt get to play their game in houston and were angry when they left. Stro is a good player and vspan is also.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Not, I just missed his 8 pts and 3 rebs. but you are right, he has really stepped up his game with his 6 pts and 4 rebs this year.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wow. So Spanoulis and Stro over guys like Hayes, Scola, James, Alston, James, and Franics. Thank God you aren't running this team.

6. javashot

javashot Member

im saying stro could come off the bench but vspan starting.

7. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

What are you smoking?

8. snc

snc Member

javashot you need to learn more about basketball

9. Labyrinth Blues

The Rocket's Struggles

Since I can't start any new threads, I might aswell post in this thread which is the most relevant. The sequence with 2 minutes in the 4th quarter basically summed up our role player's shooting woes so far this season. Bonzi opens misses an open jumper, Battier airballs an open three, Rafer bricks another one.

Through my observations, my personal opinion suggests that our entire team besides Hayes, T-Mac and Yao are going through shooting slumps ->

Battier missing the open shots his supposed to make.

Rafer missing MORE open shots then he usually misses.

Mike James taking way too many shots and isn't making them the way Manu and Terry makes them for their respective teams.

Bonzi Wells has a great first step, drives hard, cuts well but continues to miss layups.

All the above named players have history of making open shots and shooting a decent % (except Rafer, but his open FG% last year was at least acceptable)

The reason they might be shooting so bad is ->

1) They are not completely comfortable with the new system. Therefore,

2) Role players need to keep cutting so we get more layup (and MAKE THEM) attemps then jump shots.

3) Players are just in a shooting slump (Rafer isn't going to shoot 25% for the entire year).

Thinking positively, we can probably attribute this to the above reasons and hope that the law of averages kicks in and our role player's FG% rises and hence we will see players' more comfortable with the system and getting more layups through constant cutting in RA's envisioned offense. These things take time, his Sacro squad took 2-3 years before becoming the powerhouse they become.

The role players we have ARE not bad role players. They are quality defensive players and have history of making shots, hence this should just be a temporary slump before our offense picks up. Therefore I believe it is not a personnel problem but we can definately do with upgrading and put some pressure on our current role players' that seem like they don't want to make a single shot. There is no reason to switch up the starters because NO ROLE player has been making shots they are supposed to (aside from Chuck Hayes). And realistically, no matter how much of a fan you are for Stevie, do you really think he can just come in and fix all our shooting woes from every position?

Side notes: I hope T-Mac will be okay. Yao had a poor shooting game, he must be tired from the back-to-back game, he was limited by Kwame Brown bodying him up just ouside of the pain and missing free throws. Yet you will see Rafer take all of the blame. Hell, why not just blame him for T-Mac's injury.

_ Blues

10. ymc

ymc Member

Is this thread a jinx or not? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now our line up might be:
    Yao/Deke
    Hayes/Scola/Landry
    Battier/Bonzi
    James/Snyder
    Alston/Brooks/SF3

11. jogo

jogo Member

I'd much rather have:

Yao
    Hayes
    Battier
    Bonzi
    Rafer

If Bonzi can't guard a SG, then but Batty on them. I prefer Bonzi's ability to score over James' any day of the week (unless James gets hot). Also, Bonzi actually looks for other players to pass to at times.

12. sab504

sab504 Member

I am very good at observing the right chemistry

Let me go on by saying that the ROCKETS starters should be the following:

Starters:
    Yao
    Hayes
    Battier
    Tmac
    James

Yao/tmac/james are scoring options with battier as the spot up 3 and hayes as the offensive rebounder and put backs.

On defense we are fine.

Off the bench with a 1-2 punch:

Yao/Hayes share the minute load.
    Scola (playing as the 4 or 5 position)
    Bonzi
    Head
    Stevie

Offensivly, we are a REAL threat when it comes to scoring.

Stevie can be our driver and pass it out the the open spot if they are collapsing on him, otherwise drive it in hard because he is so damn well at doing it. He is the best penetrator in our team and you know it. Tmac isn't the same tmac anymore and his driving skills are very subpar.

Head can shoot the 3
    Bonzi can be our spark. He can score in a variety of ways.
    Scola can hit the open 15-20 footer and have putbacks
    Yao is yao.

We are set at all positions.

TRADE REEFER and someone slam a brick into rick's head so he can understand.

On second thought, maybe reefer can shoot a brick so bad one of these days in practice and hit rick's head with his own brick. :D :D

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

javashot, I think you're on the wrong forum. You probably meant to go to this site:

[​IMG]

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

You cannot be serious. And I don't mean that facetiously. You literally cannot mean what you just typed. I don't think it's possible for someone to think this is a good idea. Even Vspan and Swift's mothers would think this is a joke.

15. fleshbody

fleshbody Member

got to be kidding me, ď˝–span just doesn't know how to guard 1 on 1 nba player. stro....if you are not tired of brainless performances you may try :cool:

16. javashot

javashot Member

hahaha