1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NEW NBA: "The era of having a legitimate triple (or more) threat"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nomaanbaig, Feb 21, 2008.

1. nomaanbaig

nomaanbaig Contributing Member

I'm just sharing my thoughts and observations. Although I've been a member of the BBS for quite sometime now, I don't post as much.

Anyhow, it seems as if the NBA is getting more and more comeptitive and the elite teams are stacking up with atleast a minimum of 3 legitimate/consistent scorers to go along with good role players. If you look at all the elite teams in the NBA you will find atleast three real good players/scorers/all stars and this seems to be the recipe of success in the NEW NBA. These are players with proven skills and abilities.

There are good teams like the Rockets and then there are the ELITE Teams.

Boston: Garnett, Pierce, Allen
    Detroit: Hamilton, Wallace, Billups
    New Orleans: Chris Paul, Peja, David West
    Lakers: Bryant, Gasol, Odum, Bynum
    Phoenix: Nash, Amare, Shaq
    Dallas: Dirk, Kidd, Howard, Terry
    Utah: Boozer, Deron Will, Kirilinko, Okur
    San Antonio: Duncan, Ginobli, Parker

The above 8 teams are the ELITE teams by far because they have a minimum of 3 legit scorers/all stars. Then you have the good teams like the Warriors, Nuggets, Rockets, Raptors, Cavaliers, Magic etc. who dont make this cut.

This is the new trend and only teams willing to replicate this model will succeed in the NEW NBA.

Just my thoughts. I would like to hear feedback on this from my fellow BBS members.

2. TheParrotIsNoMo

I'd put the nuggets up there with the elite.... There as good as anyone of those 8 on your list there....

3. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Tracy, Yao, Artest. :D

4. mms

mms Member

Houston: Yao, Tmac, Jax

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think that's pretty interesting, and you may very well be right. But I'm not sure if Bonzi Wells was any better at creating good shots for himself than Bobby Jackson.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

My Dream Big 3 was always Francis, Yao and T-Mac. Maybe next year. :cool:

7. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Well I think first some players are being rated as that great that really aren't.
    David West just came out for a year and sure he gets praise, but put him up against next year when people notice his abilities, and Peja is kinda faded.
    Shaq isn't a star anymore by far.
    Okur/Kirilenko is like Battier/Head(if he was 7 ft tall.)
    Odom hasn't been a star in years.
    Lots of exceptions and opinions on that list, the fact is they and we are right now playing like a team

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Teams are finally realizing that they need a 3rd star to compete against San Antonio. The problem with that is San Antonio has drafted and groomed its own 3 stars while others have to take on bigger risks.

Some teams can afford to take a risk and the high salaried player like the Lakers and the Mavericks. Teams like the Rockets, on the other hand, have to get creative with the cap and contracts in order to get that 3rd player.

9. ekim

ekim Member

Tmac Yao Scola

End thread.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

ROFLMAO

11. nomaanbaig

As far as the Rockets are concerned, I think BONZI, FRANCIS, MIKE JAMES, SNYDER, MOBLEY they are all 2nd tier players. We need a legit 1st tier player. Someone who can single handedly affect the course of a game.

12. nomaanbaig

I would put Denver up there as well. But keep in mind, Denver themselves felt like they needed that 3RD LEGIT threat and that's why they were going after ARTEST.
    Nomaan

13. steddinotayto

West is a legit player especially with Chris Paul running the ship. What happens when people notice his abilities? They still can't guard him. He's like Amare Stoudemire with a better inside game. Peja just needs to get open and Paul will find him.

Comparing Okur/Kirilenko (both All-Stars voted in BY COACHES in the past) to our utility man and one trick pony isn't really fair.

Odom isn't a great 2nd banana but he's an awesome 3rd option (see the 7-1 record the Lakers have after trading for Gasol). He's still killing the Suns.

14. landryfans

landryfans Member

15. nomaanbaig

SCOLA? I dont think he's someone with proven abilities as of yet.

I'm talking about teams who are ELITE NOW and are stacking up to win NOW. Scola maybe someone in a year or two but NOT now in my opinion.

16. steddinotayto

The problem with their thinking is that they don't need Artest as a third scorer--they need his defense more than anything to mask what Melo and other perimeter players don't give on a nightly basis (right Nuggets4?). Instead of trading for Artest, they did/should push for Andre Miller because, when playoffs comes around, Anthony Carter or a crippled Chucky Atkins isn't going to do it in the West.

17. nomaanbaig

and Shaq...Everyone knows how capable he is when it comes to the last 1/3rd of the season and playoffs. I think the reason Shaq agreed to the move or liked it was because he knew that he would be the 3rd of the existing 2 All Stars already there, Nash and Amare.

2 years ago and before that, 2 All Stars/Elite players with good role players was good enough (Wade Shaq and Shaq Kobe) but the NBA has changed dramatically when the SPURS went towards the triple threat with DUNCAN, GINOBLI, PARKER.

Nomaan

18. steddinotayto

I agree with you but that happened more by luck than anything else. Aside from Duncan, Manu and Tony weren't drafted based on the assumption that they would be All-Stars. San Antonio did their scouting really, really well and they lucked out. Unfortunately for the rest of the league, that meant that every team that wants to win has to find that 3rd star--sometimes salary be damned.

19. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

We have that legit 1st tier player. Bobby Jackson fits the bill quite nicely. He'll be breaking ankles on the court left and right, since his rascal scooter just got new tires. You wait and see.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I don't have to wait. I have NBALP and I haven't seen very many (in fact no) broken ankles as he charged his way to averaging 7 ppg.

Makes me ponder where the Time Machine is that some of ya'all are hiding.