1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The nba playoffs are a joke: here is my solution

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, May 18, 2017.

1. what

what Member

The nba playoffs are a joke. Thinking about this some more, I've come up with a solution.

The nba needs to change the number of games played to 66 games and reduce the playoffs to 12 teams.

4 division winners and 2 wild card teams. I also think that the lottery should be increased to 6 spots being drawn instead of 3.

The more good teams that don't make the playoffs, and have a chance at the lottery, the quicker parity begins. Also, the games mean more. I don't know how it would work, but I'd like to see, of the 66 games played, that the majority (maybe up to half) be played within your division.

The playoffs would work like baseball. Bottom 2 teams have a one game playoff.

#1 what, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

They are never ever playing less games unless

1) Players and owners are willing to take less money. Good luck with that.

2) Players and owners make the same but charge the fans more per game and charge Tv networks more to broadcast less games. Good luck with that.

jevjnd and RedRedemption like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree in principle, but the reduction in reg season games would wreak havoc with NBA statistics, records, etc., so I don't think it's likely to happen. Changing the playoff structure, however, would probably be a good idea.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  4. what

what Member

Another thing I'd like to add just as a concept would be that all the teams that are not in the playoffs even the best worst team should have at least a 50% chance of moving up into the top 6 or top 8 of the draft. I am sure some statistician can work that out.

#4 what, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh, boy.

What BA .. sponsered by Whataburger.

RedRedemption likes this.
  6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Your solution sucks.

RedRedemption likes this.
  7. what

what Member

Let me throw some facts out there at you. The NBA is the most water down league in professional sports, with the most playoff spots. What about that don't you understand?

The MLB plays a 162 freaking games, but if you're not in the top 6, oh well

BigShasta likes this.
  8. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

How about make make the playoff seeds: 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, and 7v8. It'll make the first and second rounds more intense/interesting.

hakeem94, PyroTex and BigShasta like this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No idea what the MLB is and honestly don't give a **** about it.

Problem is you have two super super teams so whichever way you twist it, those two teams will blowout every other team they face

Equality amongst teams is what needs to be fixed. As long as you have two super teams accounting for 7 of the top 15 or so players in the league, NBA will continue to remain watered down.

BigShasta likes this.
  10. what

what Member

no **** and having more teams a d more lottery spots up for grabs addresses that problem.

11. what

what Member

Also, the healthier teams are the better the playoffs will be: 66 games accomplished that.

Also think that they need to bring back hand checking and a hard cap would do the trick.

but I doubt they care about doing any of it. they are more worried about tanking than competitive basketball.

12. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Hmm.... So the first round will be intense and then everyone will lose interest. Seems like our solution let's do it. :rolleyes:

13. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Don't worry, LaVar Ball is taking care of it. ;)

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think I post this every year. What kind of insane fan would advocate for LESS games of the sport they enjoy watching? It doesn't make any sense. I LOVE BASKETBALL!!!! You know what would be AWESOME, even LESS basketball to watch!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Sad we have to think about so many ways to let players play less and try and make it fair in the supposed best era and deepest, most athletic and skilled era ever...82 games is just too much today even with all he softened rules and small ball 3 point shooters.

Absolute trash. It's 3 teams(counting healthy spurs) and the rest are d-league quality.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. what

what Member

I somewhat agree with you that nba players shouldn't have to be coddled to play hard. But that is the reality we are in. The whole idea behind taking less teams to the playoffs is to make players and teams have to play hard every night. nobody cares about the regular season, not even fans, because of the 8th seed battling a 9 seed for the right to get swept in the first round.

17. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

How about a twist, keep the 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, and 7v8, but make the first round Best of 25 and the rest 1 and done elimination games. That way you still need to win 16 games to win the whole thing.

hakeem94, Pen15clubber and Fyreball like this.
  18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

LOL. ******* it, just take my "Like" you funny b*stard.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Top 16 teams playoff format plz. See some exciting matchups and Cleveland never reaches the finals again.

dlite316 likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly. should be a year round sport. these guys don't need a vacation,
    let every team play in the playoffs and every team gets a trophy

Snow Villiers likes this.