1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The nba is turning into a Power 5 conference situation

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, May 27, 2017.

1. what

what Member

It's eerily similar. I'd rather let LeBron and the warriors play themselves in an arena tour like the Washington generals vs the globetrotters.

I'd love for the bottom feeder teams to break away to create a new league.

I'd welcome the grizzlies and other teams to move to the liga acb, in a smackdown vs. raw situation. Maybe the only way as fans to get the nba's attention is to have competition.

I care nothing about the nba as a league, but stop the B.S. The only way that Lebron and Steph have this delusional sense of satisfaction is that they are 1 of 30 teams in the league. What if it were 1 in 7 teams because the rest of the league says y'all play yourselves.

It would take a lot, and might not even be possible. If say steve Ballmer and Pera, and some of the other young owners decided to create a new league, how would that work.

BigShasta and napalm06 like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

how would the distribution of talent work? so we get rid of the draft, obviously. then how would future superstars develop? i'm assuming the 7-team league will cherry pick top talents from the lesser league to play with the big dogs? and what happens when you reach the inevitability of a couple of the lesser league teams become better than the top 7? unless you have a relegation/promotion system.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All major talents go to Memphis Grizz? Well, it's his head and concepts.

roslolian likes this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

that's a good point. the grizzlies will be in a league all by themselves since nobody can contend on their level.

5. what

what Member

Maybe you offer top draft picks ownership rights to the teams they play for to incentivize them to play for your league.

You create teams in Pittsburgh, Nashville, Hartford, Vancover, etc.

Most likely the teams in the nba now won't be able to leave unless contracted out.

BigShasta likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

you lost me a little. do elaborate.
    you mean like dleague/minor league?

7. what

what Member

No, I mean like a competing league to the nba. And try to get college players to choose that league over entering the nba draft, plus trying to cheery pick current nba players once their contracts are up.

8. what

what Member

I think you are thinking of a true power 5 move, which is possible also I suppose. But I'm thinking that it would be possible if we could have an actual competing league to the nba to give fans what they want. I'm sick of the super teams acting like they just play harder and work harder than every teams with 4 ringer on their team.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

u complain about the NBA a lot...

Why even watch or pay attention to it?

plutoblue11, Tha_Dude and roslolian like this.
  10. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

Does anyone follow the current ABA? I know they reformed about 15 years ago. You never hear of players coming to NBA from ABA.

11. what

what Member

The legitimacy of any startup league is required for it to actually be a foe to the nba. Pointing to a dumb league like the new aba doesn't make your point. That's why I said, in my first post, that it would have to be a league like liga acb or the euroleague for it to work, and maybe a combination of all european leagues to compete with the nba.

However, since you do point it out, I don't think the and1 league has ever found it hard to find an audience. The nba is king, until it isn't. Also, next year, if the same **** happens, I believe there will be a shift in viewership even more.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the National Basketball League of Canada, Royce White is my favorite player. I'm serious.

13. Major

Major Member

The shift in viewership this year doesn't have anything to do with the Warriors/Cavs. It's largely a result of things like streaming, changing TV viewing habits, and, early in the season, wall-to-wall election coverage and interest in the weeks before and after the election. We see that clearly in that NFL & NHL ratings saw all the same trends.

14. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

There has never been much parity in the NBA, ever. If you can't come to terms with that then you need to find a new sport to watch. I will keep supporting my Rockets no matter @what because I love them. I will keep rooting for my team even if we have no chance to win because I will always have Rudy T and Hakeem to remind me that sometimes the impossible can be possible in the NBA, even if it is rare.

If you can't fully support or love your team, then that's on you. I don't like the Grizzlies but I also think you need to man up and stop being a poor fan of your team, Mr. what. Or, stop watching the NBA if you can't come to terms with them losing to the Sperms.

15. what

what Member

In local markets viewership is down across the board. I believe the trend is going to continue. This is not 1979 anymore when Magic and Bird was trying to keep the nba alive, and people aren't idiots. They know when they are being sold a bill of goods.

That's largely why I have stop paying for boxing ppv and ufc fights. It's a money grab.

The nfl is largely a boring sport that has been oversaturated by greedy people looking to cash in. Very few nfl games live up to the hype of those games. Right now, I'd say baseball and hockey has the best playoffs. The main problem with baseball is that regular season games are too damn long, and the season is too damn long to really get invested in it until there are like 30 games to go, and you are in a pennant or wildcard race.

I think (and hope) that sports gets a wakeup call, because the product for a lot of these sports are pretty shitty. I mean you watch sports all your life and it is like a drug, it is really hard to kick the habit, but these kids growing up today don't have that problem and sports don't interest them nearly as much, and they aren't dumb enough to drink the koolaid of Steph Curry saying his team worked their butts off, please man. You troll much?

BigShasta likes this.
  16. what

what Member

Like I said, sports are a drug. And old heads like me, it will be hard to fully go cold turkey on them, but for younger kids, they don't have that same problem.

And then you have the nfl shaking down cities like Oakland for how many ever billions of dollars from the taxpayers and then bolt on the team when they won't approve another 10 billion dollar stadium.

I don't know man, the older I get the less I like the greed and bs in sports. I see a lot of cracks in the veneer.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yeah, literally don't know what ...what! is talking about, either? The NBA has been power 5 league for nearly the last 35 years.

Power 2.5 (60s): Celtics, Lakers and whichever other teams had Wilt (76ers and Warriors)
    Power 4 (late 70s): Supersonics, Bullets, Blazers, and Warriors.
    Power 4 to Power 2 (early to mid 80s): Celtics (superpower), Lakers (superpower), 76ers, and Bucks (I'm really stretching with this last one).
    Power 5 (late 80s): Lakers (Superpower), Celtics (superpower), Pistons, Blazers, and the fifth team is gigantic wild card (Bulls, Jazz, Mavs, or Cavs), if you really think one of those teams could beat a championship Lakers or Celtics.

Power 1, maybe Power 4 at most (early 90s): Bulls (superpower), Pistons, Blazers,
    Power 7 (mid 90s): Rockets, Supersonics, Jazz, Suns, Knicks, Bulls, and Pacers. Known as the No-Jordan years, what do most fans (casual) say about those years?
    Power 8 (late 90s): Bulls (superpower), Jazz, Supersonics, Lakers, Rockets -- arugably 3 with Heat, Pacers, and Knicks
    Power 3 (early 2000s): Lakers (superpower), Spurs, and Kings.
    Power 4.5 (mid 2000s):Spurs (superpower), Pistons (superpower), Mavs (wannabee superpower), Suns, and the Heat (briefly).
    Power 4 (late 2000s): Lakers (superpower), Celtics (superpower), Spurs, Cavs -- we could argue Nuggets, Rockets (healthy) and the Magic.
    Power 5 (early 2010s): Heat (superpower), Spurs (superpower), Thunder, Clippers, and arguably the Grizzlies.
    Power 5 (mid 2010s): Warriors (superpower), Cavs (superpower), Spurs (superpower), Rockets, and Clippers or Jazz.

With all that being said, I much rather have a league with 3-9 power teams with 1-4 superpowers, than a league or conference with a bunch of mediocre teams tripping over each other towards the finish line, kind of like the NFL.

JayGoogle and Tha_Dude like this.
  18. Major

Major Member

Yes, and that's true of the NHL and NFL too. Again, it has nothing to do with the Warriors and Cavs. You're making up connections that you want to believe but have no basis in reality.

pgabriel likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Just another what thread.

20. what

what Member

There is a reason kd came out and said he isn't the reason for a lack of parity. Obviously it isn't all in my head. Fans know that the league is rigged, just like they knew Roger Goodall wasn't taking domestic violence seriously. You think people who paid for Pac-Mayweather were happy about the fight they paid good money for, or Canelo and Chavez Jr, only to learn after the fight that Canelo is fighting GGG, come back for more.

No, Cavs and the warriors aren't completely to blame for all of this, but they are apart of the bigger problem with sports these days. I know I keep complaining about something that ain't changing, but watching the smugness of the cavs and warriors have got me sprung and I can't control it. Sorry for your inconvenience while I rant.

I don't know why anybody would support these allstar teams acting as if they are some underdogs to get to where they have gotten to.