1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA is full of bad teams

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HTM, Dec 21, 2016.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Just was looking at the Rockets schedule for the rest of the season and what struck me was how bad the NBA is generally right now....

Other than:
    Spurs
    GSW
    Clippers
    Cleveland
    Rockets
    Toronto
    Memphis

I mean obviously the concentration of talent into a few teams is the driving force but the "exciting" match ups are really missing.

I mean in the West in recent years you at least had a good OKC, Dallas and Portland... that's three pretty good teams fallen apart the last couple years and they haven't been replaced at all.... except maybe by the Jazz a bit.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jazz are going to be a top 4 seed once they get healthy.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We're going to have an 8th seed in the west be under 500. Pretty sure of this. (Hasn't happened in over a decade) Denver, Kings, are bad. Portland is one of the worst defensive teams I've seen in some time. Lakers and Pelicans are like 10 games under .500 and are 3 games back from the 8th seed.

Looks like the East is trending towards being the stronger conference now. A lot of these teams at the bottom of the west are trash.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I would not say that the east is stronger. Of the best 8 teams in the nba only 2 play in the east.

That being said the west has less good teams than in the past.

5. Embrace the clutch

The east is better than the west, the narrative just hasn't changed yet

6. Embrace the clutch

The so called media experts are just lazy, so they just regurgitate the same stories as everyone else.

7. HTM

HTM Member

I don't agree the East is better... I'd say the East is more balanced and the west drops off hard but 3 of the top 4 teams are still in the west

GSW
    CLE
    SAS
    CLIPPERS

MEM, HOU, TOR?

Also, of the Top 15 players how many are in the East? I'd say one 1.... maybe 2 - 3.... that's pathetic.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You think it's bad now? Remember when the Nets made back-to-back Finals? THOSE were some dark days.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't know...I think players in the East sometimes don't get credit. Like Lowry, Derozan, Kemba, Paul George...meanwhile players like Cousins gets called elite and has yet to even play a playoff game.

10. HTM

HTM Member

Obviously top 10 or top 15 players is subjective but I'd take (in no order)

Top 10:
    lebron
    Curry
    Durant
    Leonard
    Westbrook
    Harden
    CP3
    Davis
    Conley
    M. Gasol

Top 15:

Thompson
    Butler
    Cousins
    Lowry
    George

Ok so thats 1 in the top 10 and 4 in the top 15... Not good at all

11. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

You could make the argument last year that the East is better than the West slightly, but not this year so far.

If we combined the standings so far based on record: PLAYOFF teams currently:

1. Warriors 25-4
    2. Spurs 23-5
    3. Cavs 20-6
    4. Clippers 21-8
    5. Rockets 21-8
    6. Raptors 20-8
    7. Jazz 18-11
    8. Grizzles 18-12
    9. Thunder 16-12
    10. Celtics 16-12
    11. Hornets 16-13
    12. Knicks 15-13
    13. Bulls 14-13
    14. Hawks 14-14
    15. Bucks 13-13
    16. Blazers 13-17

Simply looking at this. Higher concentration of West teams near the top compared to the East teams.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The West is still fine. The down fall of the Lakers and Mavs in recent years, and the slow drop of Portand have been replaced by GSW's rise from obscurity, and to some degree, the Clippers' rise as the counterpart of the Blazers drop. The Spurs is still going strong. The Jazz is getting better. Memphis is Memphis, forever hovering between mediocre and good. The Rockets are relevant again. (TBH, the Rockets are pretty much like Memphis in the past 10 years or so.)

The East is still a one-team or two-team conference. The Raptors are replacing the Hawks these couple of years as the bridesmaid to LeBron. All the other teams are either mediocre or bad. It has been like that for more than a decade.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I blame Kevin Durant.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL what are you talking about? Other Lebron who's a top 10 player in the EAST?

East is still just a two man team with Toronto replacing Pacers and Cleveland replacing Miami. OTH, West has GSW, SAS, Rox, Clippers and UTAH all of whom are really good teams and just a cut above the rest. EAST may have more parity but on the whole they still suck, just look at Dwight's statline last year and this year the East is still weak hence he started beasting again the moment he came back.

15. hakeemthagreat

No they aren't. Cleveland has a great roster. But outside of them, NONE of the best east teams can beat GS, SAS, Rockets or the LAC in a 7 game series. It's not even close

16. HTM

HTM Member

Well just looking back a couple years ago you had

Strong GSW with Curry, Thompson, Green and crew
    Strong Spurs with Leonard, Parker, Duncan, Ginobli and crew
    Strong OKC with Durant and Westbrook
    Strong Clippers with CP3, Griffin and Jordan
    Strong Rockets with Harden and Dwight and crew
    Strong Portland with LMA and Lillard
    Strong Memphis with Gasol, Conley and Randolph
    Strong Dallas with Dirk and company
    Strong NOP making the play-offs with Davis, Anderson and Gordon giving GSW a decently hard time

Now it's

GSW with superteam
    Spurs still good
    Clippers still good
    Rockets look pretty good
    Memphis looks good

Jazz looks good (pretty good but big time injury problems and have never made play-offs as a team)

OKC looks pretty bad
    Portland looks pretty bad
    Dallas looks pretty bad
    NOP look awful

So at least a two - three good team net loss which is significant at this level (not sold on Jazz, they're good but always injured and have never been in the play-offs as a team)

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I think it will be two decades if it happens this year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last time the west had a below-500 team in the playoffs was 1997, when the (37-45, IIRC?) Clippers snuck in.

JayGoogle likes this.
  18. SunsRocketsfan

really makes you miss 90's NBA, every game had a story line and even the bad teams had a star or two.

Talent across some NBA teams thru the 90s

Bulls - Jordan / Pippen / Rodman
    Rockets - Dream / Clyde / Barkley
    Spurs - Robinson / Duncan / Elliott
    Suns - Barkley / KJ / Majerlie
    Sonic - Kemp / Payton
    Jazz - Malone / Stockton / Hornacek
    Blazers - Drexler / Robinson / Porter
    Pacers - Miller / Smits
    Knicks - Ewing / Starks
    Pistons - Isaiah & crew
    Hawks - Dominque
    Kings - Richmond
    Lakers - end of Magic > Ceballos / Jones / Van Excel > Kobe / Shaq
    Warriors - Hardaway
    Magic - Penny / Shaq / Anderson
    Heat - Alonzo
    Hornets - Johnson (Grandmama) / Alonzo
    Nugguets - Shariff / Deke

I know some of these teams were bad but it seems like there were real rivalries and story lines. Now everyone is friends with each other and instead of wanting to kill the other team, everyone just wants to play together. Meh