1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The most moving/touching "talent show" performance ever?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Jun 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This performance moved me...TO A BIGGER HOUSE.

Oh man, I said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet. Ugghgh.

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Simon got big doing stuff like Jock Rock and Teletubbies - he is all pop music. What does he know of Opera? Opera has nothing to do with "the music industry". What makes my comments better? Nothing for you. For me I will rely on my own knowledge of the genre.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Whatever. I'll just enjoy what is enjoyable...

4. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Of course you will. I simply can't find that enjoyable. It is a curse, I tell ya.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Elitist snob ;).

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

My favorite music is folk music, so obviously I'm not concerned at all with technical proficiency. I bet you can't stand Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Phil Ochs or Bob Dylan... ;)

7. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Actually, I like them all (Seeger least) - different animal. Opera requires a completely different skillset and standard. What that guy sang was "stereotype opera" which just means loud and reasonably on-key with vibrato. That was my problem.

I also like 70's punk and that really has nothing to do with musical talent...so, again, it is all about context.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

maybe you just have terrible computer speakers. did you ever think of that?!

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Okay I finally watched this video... and as someone who can't abide reality tv, Britian's Got Talent with that guy.

OMG!

It also helped that I love, love, love that song. For a rank amateur he did a great job. I'm not going to call him a "replacement" Tenor, but with some training I could see him recording. He's got a very nice voice.

Oh and whoever said something about the teeth, I agree. Please get him to a dentist, quickly. I can't understand why those things aren't fixed in childhood more often.

Edit: Here's my boy singing the song. Thought I would let you hear what a professional sounds like singing Puccini

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O0Sx5lbVlQA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O0Sx5lbVlQA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#89 Hayesfan, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  10. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

But that's just it: he's not a rank amateur. He's had training. Lots of it. By some of the best teachers in the opera world. And he's still just a guy with a "nice" voice who sold phones for a living. There's a reason he wasn't a star in opera.

There are a very select few singers in the world who make their living singing principle roles in professional opera companies. The (very) vast majority of the people who try never make it. Why? Because there is a noticeable difference between good singers and great singers, and Potts is just a good singer. To even begin to compare him to someone of Pavarotti's stature (who, love him or hate him, had an amazing voice, especially in his youth) is a bit of an insult to the opera world. It's like watching Kenny "Sky" Walker win the dunk competition in 1989 and then saying he's as good as Michael Jordan.

Great Tenors: Jussi Björling, Enrico Caruso, Tito Schipa, Luciano Pavarotti
    Good Tenors: Ramon Vargas, Juan Diego Florez (both current), Franco Corelli
    Pretend Tenors: Paul Potts, Andrea Bocelli, Josh Groban (HA!)

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It would be interesting to hear basso's take on the guy (isn't basso an opera singer?).

12. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Hey - I think you are right. I need more speakers....yeah, that's it. I am going to tell my wife and see what she says.

Thank you, heyp. I am sure that after I drop a few thousand on a couple of speakers this guy will sound like a genius. Awe-to-the-some.

13. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Pavarotti was a pro. He practiced every day. Anyone here who sings can tell you that it's something that you have to keep up, you have to keep the muscles strong, or it goes away.

And a guy selling cell phones in Cardiff, I'm not entirely convinced he can practice full bore more than once a week. Maybe.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

If he's had training then yes, I agree he's just average. I was under the assumption (and that's what I get for assuming) that he was just a guy who liked to listen to and sing along to opera (sort of like me ;) )

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

geez, no one's making him out to be the next pavarotti. it was just a shock to hear a great voice (relatively speaking) coming out of that face.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Are you trying to tell me that Pavrotti sounds as good on your computer speakers as an affected opero afionado's Aerial Accoustics system.

Answer that!

17. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

That's just what they wanted you to think. They knew his extensive training and performing background before he sang on the show, and yet they acted like he was some poor schlub who never sang opera before he walked on the X-Factor stage. I wouldn't even be surprised if they told him to act shy and unassuming to play up the sympathy bit. The deception, rather than the quality of the performance, is what's most bothersome to me.

I will say that the one good thing that could come out of his performance is a renewed interest in the world of opera. I think if more people gave it a chance, and tried to educate themselves about the music, they would find it as enjoyable as we do.