1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Miami Heat sign another old washed up veteran

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by geeimsobored, Aug 9, 2007.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

looks like they've solved their pg problem now :rolleyes:

on a side note its a shame what injuries did to penny that guy was amazing before the surgery.

3. WildSweet&Cool

For those who do not wish to click..

It's Penny Hardaway

MIAMI, August 9 – The Miami HEAT announced today that they have signed free agent guard/forward Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“Penny is a player who has been an All-Star and has enjoyed an illustrious career,” said HEAT President & Head Coach Pat Riley. “We have been impressed at his hard work and dedication this summer to get back in shape and return to the NBA. He is a skilled player who can help us in multiple positions.”

During a 13-year NBA career with the Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks, Hardaway has averaged 15.4 points, 5.1 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.61 steals and 34.0 minutes in 688 games (549 starts). The 6’7”, 220-pound guard/forward has shot 45.8 percent from the floor, 31.5 percent from three-point range and 77.4 percent from the foul line.

Hardaway spent his last two seasons playing for the New York Knicks. During the 2004-05 season, he came off the bench in 37 games, averaging 7.3 points, 2.4 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 24.2 minutes, while shooting 42.3 percent from the floor and 30.0 percent from three-point range. He played in just four games during the 2005-06 season due to injury.

Hardaway was selected by the Golden State Warriors with the third pick in the 1993 NBA Draft. He was acquired by the Orlando Magic in a draft day trade, along with three future draft picks, for Chris Webber. In his rookie year, he was named to the NBA All-Rookie First Team and was named NBA Rookie of the Month twice. In his six seasons with the Magic, he also earned All-NBA First Team honors during the 1994-95 and 1995-96 seasons, All-NBA Third Team honors in the 1996-97 season, and was selected as an NBA All-Star four times (1995-98). He began his NBA career playing along side HEAT Center Shaquille O’Neal. Together, they helped lead the Magic to the NBA Finals in 1995.

Hardaway was acquired by the Phoenix Suns on August 5, 1999 in a sign-and-trade deal with the Magic in exchange for forwards Pat Garrity and Danny Manning, and two future first-round draft picks. He was then traded to the New York Knicks on January 5, 2004 in a multi-player trade.

Hardaway was traded back to the Orlando Magic on February 22, 2006, but was waived on February 27, 2006.

He was also a member of the gold medal-winning USA Basketball team at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Penny and Shaq can finally get old together in florida...like god intended

5. WildSweet&Cool

OMG!!! Can you imagine if it comes down to Miami and Houston in the championship...... .and we sweep them?!?!?

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

haha. that would be classic for sure, and yet again the nba finals would be terrible (least on the east's end).

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Miami will be lucky to make it out of the first round. I could even see them missing the playoffs if Wade or Shaq miss more than a few games each...

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What do you mean "another"?

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

They recently signed Eddie Jones.

10. Sextuple Double

Penny and Shaq back again!!!!

Those Magic teams were my favorite back then(yea, I was a disappointed little boy when they were swept; the irony) when I first started to watch basketball(until I followed Mac to Houston).

I'm hoping they both could turn back the clock, even if its just occasionally or temporary.

Of course if Rockets meet them in the finals I would wanna see a repeat of 95.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

dallas signed jones but it was the past two season where the heat signed a lot of aging vet players

12. AGBee

AGBee Member

How recent is recent? Jones is with the Mavs now.

13. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

You can miss the playoffs in the East? :confused:

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Don't look now, but the East has moved up from JV to Varsity 6th man.

Boston
    Detroit
    Cleveland
    Chicago
    Toronto
    Orlando

are all pretty much locks for the playoffs

New Jersey will probably get in. Then you have Milwaukee with a healthy Michael Redd. I think the Knicks are a darkhorse for a playoff spot.

Of course, like I said, I think Wade and Shaq both have to miss significant time in order for The Heat to miss the playoffs. Shaq is pretty much guaranteed to miss 10 games, and Wade is always at risk for an injury with his style of play.

For the first time in a long time, the East did a LOT better than The West in regards to offseason trades. I think all eight East playoff teams will have winning records this season.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Miami hasn't done anything to improve their team. They will struggle to make the playoffs if they don't try to get better, younger talent on the team. Shaq can only get worse and Wade is a big question mark after his surgery.

They haven't done squat this offseason; I am not sure what they're thinking...

16. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

wow that comment was great LOL

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Paging Tinman. Tinman needed on post #10.

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I would put New Jersey among the big boys in the East. They beat Toronto convincingly in the first round without homecourt advantage and improved with Jamal Magloire, who I think is a solid frontcourt addition. Not great but solid.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Penny was on his way to the HOF before his injuries. Incredible talent, devastating injury.

20. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The icing on the cake would be to hear tomorrow they have signed Nick Anderson!!!