1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The media and playoff harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketseagles07, Jan 25, 2019.

1. rocketseagles07

I’ll get flamed for this but oh well.... harden is at the level of greatness right now where the only thing the media can do is compare him to other great players. With that being said, his regular season numbers and percentages are going to match up with the greatest players ever to do it. So why do you all get so mad when they turn the conversation to the playoffs? I’m not speaking on wins, that’s a team thing. But strictly numbers. Should they just say yes, based on his regular season numbers and performances he’s just as good as Jordan, Kobe, etc?

2. yuko_dude

yuko_dude Member

I don't really get your point/problem

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Harden's playoff numbers as an individual are just as good as his regular-season numbers. Wins are a matter of team success.

joeson332 likes this.
  4. rocketseagles07

Everybody gets mad when harden is brought up and whatever analyst is talking about him mentions the playoffs. Why?

If you’re going to put him in the class of the greatest to ever do it(which he is in that class) everything needs to be talked about

5. rocketseagles07

His percentages are not though. At all...

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Playoff Harden:
    Pts 27.6
    blk .5
    Stl 2
    ast 7
    rb 5.5

Rocket River

7. rocketseagles07

And under 30% from 3 and had some terrible close out games. I just don’t get where you guys think they’re going to go for comparison when his numbers are gonna match up with the best of them in the reg season.

Some people like cowherd, mcyintyre, etc are just blatant haters.

But when you have someone like max say it’s not that’s I don’t think he’s capable, he’s just inconsistent in the playoffs how can you get mad at that??

8. rocketseagles07

And I’m not saying I agree with everything max says or that the media doesn’t EXAGGERATE how much he chokes. In general everything with harden is exaggerated because he’s hated so much

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

it's so dumb media and fans always talk about Harden not winning in the playoffs but Harden has led the Rockets to 2 WCF series since he's been a Rockets. And of course both WCF was against the Warriors, where Harden has been the underdog heavily. Who else beat GSW besides that fluke series by Lebron. Sure his % drops but pretty much everybody's number drops besides Lebron

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

In general, Harden has had good playoff runs, unfortunately like I've mentioned in the past, the media is focused on statement games. They are focused on how did he do in an elimination game. Of course, he had the dud against the clippers in 2015 for game 6, he stunk it up in game 5 against the warriors in 2015, stunk it up in the close out game against SA in 2017, had a terrible finals when he was with OKC.

These games were so bad that the media and fans refuse to acknowledge that Harden has actually had good playoff runs. Sure his stats take a dip, but in reality most stars stats take a dip in the playoffs since defenses are more keyed in and the refs swallow their whistles a lot more.

I think it's unfair that Harden always gets singled out for bad playoff runs. Every damn star has had bad playoff runs, yet they aren't ridiculed like Harden. Hell look at Anthony Davis, the media is so in love with him, yet the guy can't carry his team to the playoffs year in and year out. So the amount of hate Harden gets is unreasonable.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

because they’re disingenuous when they talk about playoff Harden...they act like he’s choking left and right (they say he choked in game 7 last year which is laughably stupid)...they act like he’s still not a top 5 player in the playoffs

the same media clowns who will say he’s the 7th or 8th best player in the league will hold him to the 2nd highest standard in the postseason behind Lebron

I’ve heard clown Kellerman say that Harden is the poster child for choking in all of American sports...gtfoh with that bullsh*t

BigM, DreamShook and rocketseagles07 like this.
  12. rocketseagles07

I basically agree with everything you said. It’s exaggerated and other stars have bad games as well. Kobe had the horrendous game 7 against the Celtics but they won so nobody cared. Klay disappears for entire damn series and nobody cares.

It’s just one of those things where it’s over exaggerated but when he’s in the class he’s in it’s going to get brought up

13. rocketseagles07

I don’t really disagree with any of this and you’re one of the more logical posters.

Again I’m just saying, look at the class dude is in. That’s really all he has left to prove is that he can be ALMOST what he is in the reg season. As it was said before nobody besides bron/Jordan really were exactly the same

14. UrbanEnterprise

he deserves criticism sure.

but I just want the same energy for other players they fawn over.

Westbrook, Giannis, Anthony Davis, PG13, Embiid

these guys get praised all the time but it's never followed with "but but..playoffs"

they never bring it up only with Harden.

RoyalGuard likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

no doubt, if Harden can consistently be 90% of what he is in the regular season in the playoffs then my god :eek:

I just have a problem with how the media portrays playoff Harden...he’s still very good, but has had a few horrible moments

they way they talk, you’d swear Harden goes from MVP to just All-Star caliber once the regular season is over

only Harden can be called a choker for dropping 32 in a game 7 and not being able to beat 4 stars by himself

16. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

If anything Westbrook is the real playoff choker. WTF has he done since KD left? Why does he get a pass?

17. rocks123

rocks123 Member

you get mad at that because he put AD above HARDEN. The only time the brow is above the beard is if ur looking in the mirror not on NBA ranking of players. and they usually talks about MVP rankings which is a REGULAR SEASON thing. its annoying when theyre talking about mvp ranking but keeps referencing play off success and stats.
    NOW if its about GOAT conversation, play off harden needs to be included in d discussion.

18. yuko_dude

yuko_dude Member

So basically your point is, we shouldn't be mad at the media bringing up Playoff Harden, cause when we have to compare him to the GOATs we have to include the Playoffs, right?

I think you have to put it in perspective. First, the media does bring up Playoff Harden everytime they talk about him, not only when comparing him to the Greats. And seriously, they don't even really compare his legacy to the Greats, they only comparing this streak, this month. You can't compare their legacy because James haven't won a ring and his career isn't over yet. The more time they bring up Playoff Harden is when they talk about him being the best player in NBA, still playing. I think I posted it in the other thread as well. People have to understand Harden's history in the Playoffs. His shooting percentages are little down from the regular season, for sure, but his overall performance, carrying a team, I will never question that. Considering he had a unreliable player in D12 two times in the playoffs, a concussion the other year and playing against the best team in history last year, thats really hard. The fact that he hasn't won a ring is also overrated. Comparing him with LeBron is not right, cause LeBron won his rings while playing in the EAST. Then looking at KD (pre Warriors), Westbrook ( post Harden trade ), AD and Giannis, nobody really had much better playoff performances than him. Some of them didn't even go that far to Conference Finals or win a playoff series.

19. rocketseagles07

Not a damn thing. But I think Westbrook gets a LITTLE more of a pass because of the lack of really bad close out moments.

I also think ever since the triple double season bs most don’t think Westbrook is better than harden

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

ESPN driven narrative
    Put Kobe or LeBron with the Rockets teams that have had to face the Warriors in the playoffs since 2015 and they would not beat them either.
    That team is unfortunately an animal right now. Who knows maybe their time is almost up.