1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lonzo Ball thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Jul 8, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Should have taken Midol for the menstrual cramping and period pain relief.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He was a career 38% 3pt shooter. About half of his career was a first option scorer in Sacramento and a season or so in Houston. I'd say that's above average. In comparison, Eric Gordon has similar career average and he won the 3pt shooting contest.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Alex Caruso is the real big baller.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(First) Realize I am NOT TRASHING Lonzo (nor Lavar THAT much). I used to work in Chino Hills were he went to high school, and am a UCLA fan.

The T-Will comparison is about athletic guard getting triple doubles that CAN'T SHOOT on NBA level. In direct response to comment that Lonzo's "jumper can just be fixed". We don't know that. (I think his shot can be okay despite weird form). If T-Will was a decent shooter, he'd still be in the league Lance Stephenson style despite his flaws. Or take out T-Will, add in Evan Turner. Same thing about lack of shooting big passing guard

And Lavar Ball IS a distraction. Its great that Lavar is a paternal protector in his son's life. But if his dad is directly responsible for crafting him into what he is, dad has to take blame for NOT filling out his potential, too. I said T-Will didnt have it INTERNALLY/mentally. We don't know if Lonzo has "it" to keep improving without his dad driving him. Its not something most players deal with. Its a factor in the equation

Lonzo's biggest game flaws are lack of first step/dribble-drive separation, and lack of physicality and commitment to defense (surprising WITH his strong fiery dad, would think he'd be a bulldog). Those are all just evident issues and looking past the hype, not some emotional "hate" thing.

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

LiAngelo is super trash. Def won't make it at any level of professional ball...doubt he even gets playing time at UCLA lol. He should go play tight end TBH

Melo OTOH is widely considered the best prospect of all 3. I honestly don't think he is and many ppl will form opinions off highlights and think he isn't either. But still have to remember he's only like 15 or 16 lol.

btw this thread is gonna be real funny in a couple years. can't wait. rooting for lonzo, **** the lakers though. sucks when you like college players and they get drafted to teams you hate (e.g. dennis smith jr to the mavs smh)

rm365 and Easy like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

I want Lonzo to succeed just because I think more talent is good for the NBA, not because I am a fan or a hater I actually don't have any opinion on the dude because I only care about the Rox lol. By all accounts Lonzo has no issues, he seemed mature and takes everything in stride. It's his dad hype that causes people to want him to fail.

7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Lavar used to be really annoying to me at first, but honestly he's become pretty funny to me now. I'm not checking up on him or anything like that, but you'll see it on social media every now and then and you just have to accept he's an entertainment troll. Like the guy actually appeared on WWE Raw or whatever. Hilarious scenes. People who take his comments like "Lonzo will be better than Magic, better than Steph already, etc" seriously need a grip on life. IMO it's really not that serious. I don't know how people get triggered by stuff like that when it's blatant trolling. It's not like Skip, where I actually think he believes the stuff he says and plus he's not funny at all...

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc its dumb. it's about his son, hes the one that actually matters. but all the attention he makes is geared toward himself with his big mouth trolling or not

what does skip have to do with this. hes not trying to be funny. its his actual job

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think I saw it somewhere that Lavar believed in letting the kids play their styles. That's why his shooting form was never "fixed."

His high school career never demanded him to play any traditional defense. He was an okay defender in college but I agree that he seems to lack the fundamentals. We'll see what the pro coaches do with him, and more importantly what his work ethic will be.

I like the kid. He seems to be a down to earth kind of guy, a total opposite of his dad. I give him a lot of credit for not becoming an entitled diva given the kind of attention he's been getting. Plus I always like good passers. I just hope the Lakers suck.

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I sure hope that's not the case, as they say he's the most like his dad (see N-bombs on WWE Raw).

tmactoyao likes this.
  11. MystikArkitect

I can't stand Lavar. At all. But the only reason I hope this kid succeeds is because I hope Fox succeeds as well, and their rivalry would make Laker/Kings games must see TV.

12. Carl Herrera

OMG, Lonzo lost his endorsement deal already.

el gnomo likes this.
  13. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

lonzo just threw two full court dimes back to back

passing display

14. Carl Herrera

15. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

is Alex Caruso the new Patrick Patterson?

16. Carl Herrera

17. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Really good all-around game by Lonzo tonight like he's shown many times in the past. Must be the Kobes he had on tonight...stat-line was pretty awesome too: 36 points, 8 rebounds, 11 assists, 5 steals, 2 blocks. Of course it's just summer league, but LOL @ people writing him off after ONE game with their quick judgments.

Got a lot of easy buckets in transition and finished smooth at the rim. His 3 point shot looked a lot better and more like how I imagine it will be - none of that BS 1-11 having people doubt his shooting ability.

He displayed a lot of his natural defensive instincts, despite not being fundamentally sound on defense. He played the passing lanes well and got a lot of steals, and contested a lot of shots. He fought thru screens much more so I'm guessing his groin is better; his stance is gonna need to be lower though or he's gonna get put on skates by a lot of better ball handlers like Kyrie (although who don't they put on skates?).

Of course his passing was great, especially in the open court. He also has that Bron-like ability where even if he gets caught in the air with nowhere to go, he can make a pass and find the open guy. Did this on a few occasions tonight.

He looked more comfortable tonight and really found a groove in the second half. Nice comeback that he anchored as well. Really fun to watch.

One thing I'd like him to work on besides his obvious flaws is his handle in traffic/transition. It isn't too tight and he's prone to dribbling into defenders at times. Led to a couple TOs tonight and will happen more unless he adds moves and gets that handle tighter. He really just has a hezzo in transition. A better spin move would be very crucial for his game because so many people are playing him on his shooting hand... would get defenders off balance so easily

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've thought he was the real deal for a while. He has that cerebral feel to the game all the greats have, and he's a 6-6 point guard with athleticism.

Truly the only question about whether he'll be a long time NBA player or a long time NBA star is his shot. Which remains weird and he still needs to adjust to NBA range... but I think he'll figure that part out.

More than anything... forget his dad, forget it's the Lakers... he's fun to watch. And even though it's his dad and it's the Lakers... Lonzo himself comes across more Tim Duncan like in personality than Kobe like honestly.

I'm a fan.

RudyTBag, Easy and tmactoyao like this.
  19. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

well-said. i think most people who follow him know he's humble and down-to-earth though. and he certainly displayed that in his post-game interview tonight. deflected the credit off himself and credited his teammates instead. talked more about what he needed to work on instead of what he did well. the mentality to focus on what you can improve even after having a game like that is great.

really sucks he's on the lakers though.

20. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Damn he's ****ing nice. Dude's basketball IQ is outta this world. He knows where his teammates are going to be before they do.