1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Longhorns starting QB be this year should be?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by underoverup, Aug 16, 2003.

Tags:
?

Who is your pick Young or Mock?

1. Mock

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Young

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. underoverup

underoverup Member

Who should the Longhorns start at QB this season—the raw, but unbelievably talented V. Young or should they go with the more experienced possibly less talented C. Mock. We all know that Mock will start of course (for a while at least). I’m asking this question as if it were your/our decision to make. And of course I would love to hear your opinions as I am not an expert on this subject. I just keep hearing Young is a larger M. Vick clone which sounds pretty impressive.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

less talented Mock?

I thought this guy was heavily recruited from other schools.

3. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Mock no question, young QB's are more prone to silly mistakes. Mock has been waiting forever to get his opportunity, he deserves it. He could have went anywhere in the country, this guy is no scrub. But I'm guessing if UT loses to anybody not named Oklahoma than Vincent Young will be out there the next game.

4. underoverup

underoverup Member

Possibly less talented-- considering all the hype surrounding Young.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I still believe Vincent Young is the next big thing in football after all the Mike Vick hype dies down, if it ever does. This guy was AMAZING in high school.

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The rumors I've heard so far are that Vincent Young is too stupid to learn the playbook. Look for Mock to be the starter.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Although I haven't been a witness to any practices, I'd still have to go with Mock. The guy has the maturity and quality we need at this point, as we can ill afford to put a rook into the furnace with so much at stake. I wouldn't be surprised to see Young in the lineup if Mock has some mishaps, but WHATEVER it takes to get us past OU is fine in my book.

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Whichever one sucks more.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I say start the guy from Houston. :)

10. underoverup

underoverup Member

H-Town Baby! Too bad the Cougars can't get themselves a hometown guy as good as Young. Bring back the Run 'n' Shoot. :D

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think they should start Mock Young I hear he is tha shizzle...

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Should start Young, but Mock will start. Young was unbelievable yesterday, although it was only a scrimmage.

Chance has the experience though, so I'm not upset he's starting.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I went to practice last Tuesday and Thursday nights. Chance is way ahead of Young at this point. He's shown a nice touch on his deep passes, and has good timing with his receivers. Clearly this is a result of all the 7 on 7 drills they've been working on this summer. Also, having three years to learn the system, he knows the playbook very well. He'll also do a better job of avoiding sacks than Simms, because of his mobility. Remember, in the Nike QB camp, the scouts were saying Mock was more impressive than Brock Berlin (Miami) and Chris Rix (Florida State).

Vincent is most dangerous when he's out of the pocket. He'll make one juke then take off for 10-15 yards easilty. Right now, however, his throwing mechanics are all screwed up. He's got a very low release point, and the only reason he doesn't get more passes batted down is because he's 6'5. He has a tendency to underthrow receivers on mid-range patterns such as slants, and overthrows guys on deep pattens. He threw lots of balls into the dirt in the 11-11 drills on both Tuesday and Thursday. On Thursday he had a couple of passes intercepted, and another went through DJ's hands.

But, expect Vince to see significant playing time this year, behind Mock. It will take some time, but I expect big things from both QBs. Mock is the better QB now, and he'll be ready for NMSU on August 31.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hopefully it really won't matter because Mack and staff will finally run the freakin' football! Every year they say they will and they never do.

Mock should get the job this year. Young is a little raw from what I understand. His time will come.

17. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

i am not originally from houston, but i am from texas and i love f-ball...anyway, i don't have any loyalty to any houston highschool---but when i saw a Madison game and saw Youngi was blown away! Young was like a man playing among boys. i can't wait to see him play again---i...think...i...love him.;)

18. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Mock looks a little like Shockey ;)

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So that would make him the perfect replacement for Chris Simms.

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I know you're kidding.