1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the legality of mar1juana

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by insideout, Jul 19, 2000.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Rocketman95

That movie is in my top 10. Whenever I need an emotional "pick me up," that's the movie I watch. I 'friggen love it!

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hemp is also a viable alternative to oil.

I did about 3 papers and a speech about hemp my freshman year in college.

Let me send a shout out to The Hemp Store in downtown San Marcos.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Sure, there is a clear distinction between hemp and mar1juana. However, if they legalized the mar1juana plant, then you wouldn't need the hemp. You could have the best of both worlds....the good bud and the other stuff for making clothes, paper, oil, etc.. Hemp is still growing wild all across the United States from back when it was legal.

I think their going to have a hell of a time enforcing a hemp only farming industry. Those farmers are definitely gonna have some mar1juana plants in their crops somewhere and the government is going to spend a whole hell of a lot of money regulating that industry and fighting the mar1juana laws. Might as well make it all legal or not make any of it legal....all or nothing. Or else it's gonna cost us taxpayers more than it does now.

Surf

------------------

4. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

A 'lil bit 'o weed never hurt nobody.

Cops...come and try to snatch my crops
    These pigs wanna blow my house down
    --Cypress Hill

Legalize.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Check out this thread I started awhile back for further thoughts/opinions:
    The War on Drugs

This website: http://www.legalizedrugs.com/ no longer seems to be up and is currently for sale. Hmmmmm.....conspiracy theories abound.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Space Ghost

We can only hope.

DEANBCURTIS

Good for you! And I mean that in the most sincere way. I think its great that you have made that decision for yourself and I respect that. But by the same token (pun intended) I think you should respect mine when I say I do and always will.

But that’s not the issue of this topic. The topic is the legality of mar1juana.

Moongod [​IMG]

Exactly!

Jeff,

Yes you are totally right. With the positive advantages of Hemp I think we could solve so many problems. Food, fuel, clothing, so many uses.

Surfguy,

“Those farmers are definitely gonna have some mar1juana plants in their crops somewhere”

That is a fallacy, it is not possible. For the mar1juana plant to bud (the fine kind), you have to extract the male from the female so it does not pollinate. Farmers wouldn’t want to destroy their crops just for a buzz.

We haven’t even touched on the medicinal properties of mar1juana. How do people feel about the recent federal ruling favoring the cannabis clubs in California stating that the gov hasn’t proven that mar1juana is harmful to treatment and that people should not be denied access to pot? This is significant. Until now it was all on a State level. Now the Federal courts are even siding with the possibility of deregulation. Also the DEA recently has softened their stance and called for studies in the reclassification from a schedule 1.

Once political suicide for politicos to even entertain the possibility decimalization. Now there is open debate.

Progress is happening.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited July 20, 2000).]

7. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i like the pope..
    the pope smokes dope..

------------------
    i am scottie brooks

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Legalization of mar1juana is one thing, but PLEASE let's take hemp out of this.

Hemp is NOT mar1juana. They both come from the same family of plants (cannibus), but they DO NOT produce the same drug-enduced effects when smoked or eaten.

Hemp and mar1juana both contain THC, the chemical that brings about the feeling of being high, but hemp contains only about 1/100th the amount of regular mar1juana. In fact, on British hemp farmer on the CBS Evening News about 6 months ago described it this way:

"To get high from hemp, you would have to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole."

The reason it is important that this distinction is made is because hemp is one of the best, most renewable crops that can be grown. It can be used to make a myriad of products from paper to clothing and a million other items. It is cheap, easy on the land, doesn't require much water, is disease and bug-resitant and a very good cash crop.

The problem is that it is listed as a drug because it is part of the cannibus family. I have nothing really against mar1juana or the efforts to legalize it, but I will tell you this. I am STRONGLY in support of legalizing the production and growing of hemp in this country.

In fact, many tobacco farmers who are losing their land because of the struggles of big tobacco are begging Congress to allow hemp to be grown to replace their crops.

So, say what you will about mar1juana but don't lump it in with hemp. They are two completely different situations.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Surfguy

mc mark,

If I threw out some female Skunk #1 seeds(which you can buy online) with my hemp crop, your telling me I would not get buds that I could smoke of high quality. Umm...I'm sorry...that is not true. Sure, the male hemp plants would pollinate the female Skunk plants but what I would get is buds with a lot of seeds of a hybrid or cross variety. Sure, I would have a lot of seeds but I would still get some primo Skunk #1 buds to smoke...just not as much if there were no seeds. Those seeds would then produce offspring plants and buds more powerful than hemp and less powerful than Skunk. By more/less powerful, I refer to THC content. Male pollination of female plants does not prevent buds from growing...it ensures that your buds will have seeds and the reproduction cycle will continue. If you withhold or remove the males after determining the sex of your plants and before pollination occurs, you get sensimilla or buds without seeds. This is fact not fallacy.

Surf

------------------

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Ohhhh, you SirHangover!

Thanks for the shirt!

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"

11. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

How do you know you don't like them if you've never tried them? I know I don't like mar1juana because I tried it four times as a college senior and liked it less and less and less each time.

------------------
    You bring the bullets, I'll bring the wine.

12. Surfguy

Yo RockHEAD....pass the pipe! Hehe.

BK...I hear that beef all the time about pot. They try it 4 separate times(or however many) and come away not liking it. What you do is this...instead of separating out those times sporadically, do it like 2 or 3 times in a day or two. You then build a small tolerance level(which obviously grows if you keep doing it) and it becomes a smooth, nice feeling...comparable to smoking a cigarette after sex or a meal except the feeling lasts longer and is better/stronger. If your just doing it sporadically with zero tolerance, then it does suck and is no fun because you either get a headache or are so paranoid it's not fun any more. It's never fun in my opinion to do the zero tolerance level tokes. Of course, that's no reason to try it again but it is better if you have some tolerance built up. Just an FYI. It can be a great laughing tool and stress reliever [​IMG]. However, I don't condone it's use. I condone pro-choice.

Surf

------------------

13. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

It was four times in three weeks. And my description was accurate: I thought it was a lot of fun the first time, not so bad the second, and just kinda pointless the third and fourth times. It had nothing to do with tolerance; I just didn't enjoy it. I can't explain it in any more detail than that.

I enjoy a drop or two during Happy Hour, so it's not like I'm pure of body. Pot just doesn't do it for me.

------------------
    You bring the bullets, I'll bring the wine.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm sorry, but there's really nothing better than a couple of lines first thing in the morning...or afternoon...or evening.

I'm just kidding, just the morning.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

15. Surfguy

No problemo, BK. It's not for everyone. At least you tried it. Some people knock it before they know anything about it. Then, it's the devil child and they just don't have a clue. Peace. In moderation, it can be a spiritual, relaxing experience.

Surf

------------------

16. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

DEANBCURTIS,

I drink alcohol. I don't smoke cigarettes, but have tried them. (The most disgusting things on the planet [​IMG] )

But, as for other "drugs", I too have never tried any in all my 30 years. I have friends who have tried and do use. I've been to many parties where drugs were being used. Not once have I condemned anyone for using drugs, they're just not for me.

Strangely enough to some people, I am totally for the legalization of just about all drugs. Not because I want to try them, but because I think people should be able to choose what they put into their bodies. Now, of course their should be laws about operating heavy machinery and automobiles, but we already have them in our alcohol laws.

I think the only drug that I'm not all for legalizing is PCP. Other than that, go for it.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

17. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

did someone say weed?

rock(et)(pot)HEAD

------------------
    *** THIS SPACE FOR LEASE ***

18. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Here here, DREAMer (and others).

It's all about the right to choose. I have yet to hear a legitimate argument for taking this right away.

"It's bad for you" - that's my choice
    "It endangers others" - not by itself, it doesn't (current "under the influence" laws cover this)
    "Drug addicts cost taxpayers" - the war on drugs costs more
    "Drug users are a drain on society" - no, only drug abusers are
    "More people would use it if it were legal" - that's their CHOICE
    "It would be more accessible to minors" - actually, I think the opposite would be true

What else?

I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here. Is anybody actually against the legalization of mar1juana? Mr. Valdez stated as much but didn't back it up and promptly disappeared. I can't really tell if Mr. Curtis is against legalization or is just exercising his right to choose. Mr. Kagy seems to be voicing his personal choice while casting no judgement on the choices others make. Where's the opposition?

mc mark: Can you post some URLs for more information about the federal ruling and DEA stance you referred to? That sounds interesting and I'd like to read more about it.

For the record: I'm 32, have a wife, a home, a career. I did drugs in college and had fun doing them. I know many adults who do drugs and continue to be fine, upstanding members of society.

There is a major difference between users and abusers. If the threat of criminal prosecution were removed and people could bring it out in the open, I think a great number of people would be surprised at how many of their friends and acquaintances do, in fact, use mar1juana but had to remain discreet about it.

------------------

19. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I'm all for the legalization of mar1juana. If it were made legal, the average ambition rate of the nation would dramatically drop, and in this capitali$t society, that means more opportunities for those of us that wouldn't use them...

...But seriously, I heard on some news show that Amsterdam has one of the lowest crime rates(or was it violence rates?) in the world. So it doesn't look like legalization has had that detrimental of an effect there... Unless everyone's too busy staying home being stoned to go out and do anything. [​IMG]

Some positives of legalization:
    1) Takes money away from the Underworld
    2) Gives people more liberty
    3) Saves massive amounts of tax dollars previously spent fighting a losing battle
    4) Makes prisons less crowded, saving even more tax dollars

Negatives:
    1) "How much for that carton of joints?!?!"
    2) With abuse, could lower people's ambitions
    3) You think the smoking section is bad now...

I do think the positives massively outweigh the negatives, but one can't help thinking about China and it's opium problems a couple hundred years ago...

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... Next year [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by AntiSonic (edited July 22, 2000).]

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Surf,

After doing some reading and talking to some of my growing buddies, I stand corrected. Thanks for straightning me out. But if they did grow a few plants for enjoyment in their hemp crops, I say more power to em!

BK,

Just a quick question. How did you make it to your senior year before trying pot? Either you've got the strongest will on earth or (and I can't believe this) you were never exposed to it until then. [​IMG] Either way, good for you to at least try it and form your own opinion. Most people won't even take that step.

ChrisP

Here's a couple of links that you asked for.

DEA Confirms Sufficient Grounds To Remove mar1juana From Hard Drugs Schedule
    http://www.sightings.com/general2/marijane.htm

Here it is again.
    http://www.marijuananews.com/dea_finally_confirms_the_existen.htm

Other sites of interest…

You can read a short history of the constitutional aspects of the drug laws from one of the nation's leading constitutional scholars at
    http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/History/whiteb1.htm

You can find discussion of the constitutional aspects of the Marihuana Tax Act at
    http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/taxact/taxact.htm

Complete histories of the drug laws and their origins are available at
    http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer under Historical Research

and
    http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Library/studies/cu/cumenu.htm

probably the best book ever written on the subject.
    New Scientist magazine, an internationally reputed science weekly based in the UK. Some interesting articles in here about legalization and some new research in mar1juana usage etc
    http://www.newscientist.com/nsplus/insight/drugs/mar1juana/news.html

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited July 23, 2000).]