1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

THE LAYUP - Getting to the Rim

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I notice the Rockets *can* get to the rim but too often settle for threes
    Some are easy and most at open . . .. but when they not dropping .. . they need to take the layup

Which means they cannot blow so many lay ups
    I hate went they have a layup but throw it out to a contested three
    hell even an open three bothers me cause Layups are like 70% and the three is 35~40 at best
    Take the 2 and head home

I am not mad at the philosphy of no mid range
    but Gordon, Harden and even Pat seem to get
    to the basket at will . . . . ..
    Nothing pisses me off more than watching the blow a layup . . . . that is killing me
    I'M LOOK AT YOU COREY!!!!!!

When the three isn't falling .. .reset. . .go to the basket . .. . and get the defense back on the heels some
    then the three will open up more. . .

Rocket River

hakeem94, oakdogg, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  2. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Nobody's giving shots up at the rim. It's becauae they are taking so many 3s that layups become available. You cant stop taking 3s and still expect layups to be available.

roslolian likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When you make a few layups . . .the 3s come back . . . seem to get even more open

Rocket River

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

The rim is a scary defender sometimes.

Especially when you have Corey "Rimjob" Brewer on the floor.

alethios and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  5. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Rockets is too much rely on 3 point. If their hand is cold, I suggest they hit 2. Memphis uses playoff type defence to beat houston. Houston should think about to hit 2 points in 3rd and 4th quarter to increase field goal percentage. You can watch the text scripts in 3rd quarter vs memphis how they blow the lead. It is too much on 3 point vs strong defensive team. Once they turn on playoff defensive mode, houston will lose

#5 elmotsangtt, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It isn't just Brew (although he must hold some sort of franchise record for blown layups during a Rockets career). I've seen Dekker, who I like a lot, literally have a dunk staring him in the face and, to my astonishment, proceed to pass the rock to an open guy behind the arc (who misses the 3, naturally). Good thread, RR. Is there a home and road difference in blown layups? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

7. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Gordon, Bev, Brew and Dekker miss at least one layup every game. You can set a watch to it. If we made all our layups we'd have 3-4 more wins.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Harden as well

9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

With the minutes he's given, Brewer is going to miss 3 open lay-ups every game.

10. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Perhaps. Harden seems to miss more foul shots this year than layups. His FT's used to be automatic, now he needs to find a rhythm.

11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

The pick and roll with capela and James takes the pressure off these 3 point guys making shots at the rim and allows them to be in their role of making threes. Once Clint comes back and we re establish our scoring capabilities inside, we will eventually re establish their roles as three point men. There will be less pressure on them to score at the basket.

DonKnock and Justin Dela Torre like this.
  12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's just your imagination. Harden's career FT average is .854. This season he's .849.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Layups are nice, but not automatic.

I don't think we miss many more than the league average.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Despite today's win, this team isn't prepared for the Play Offs. It's going to be disappointing.

15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Gordon does it when his 3s aren't falling

DonKnock likes this.
  16. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

It's NOT my imagination. Harden said it himself. I'm not talking about his entire career. Harden was 86% -87% as a Rocket until his current 84%. It appears to be moving in the right direction since shooting .829 for the month of November.

#16 RocketsTerps, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Gordon is Harden lite in every sense of it but with better 3 pt shooting, less to no assists, less ability to get to the foul line, and less ability to rebound.

18. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Not one team is prepared yet. We have a month to go before the trade deadline and 40 games to get prepared for the post season. Currently only one other team has more wins than us while we played without Capela and Beverly for a month respectivly. I like our chances.

Houstunna likes this.
  19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

He might be speaking on 4th Q free throws. I believe his percentage falls off a little in that regard. Video was about closing out games.

But he's 86.0% as a Rocket and currently 84.9.

His regressing 3PT% is a little concerning.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Good post, RR. (And, btw, I am one of the few who like how you structure your words/posts :) )

Beard and Gordon are obvious for playing well at the rim.

But, my guy Trev is very underrated at finishing there, too. We look for him to hit the 3s so often, but forget about the way he his built. His reach and strides allow him to get to the rim and elevate.

I wish he drove the baseline more often.

HTX Ninja and DonKnock like this.