1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Melo Thread? Melo comments on his departure from HOU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Spilling tea? Does Melo even drink tea? LOL.

Seriously, I wonder where that "missing piece" idea came from. Did Melo think that, or did Morey tell him that to recruit him? Or maybe he kept thinking about that stupid "Key to a championship formula" thing?

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

still cant believe you all think he was cut simply because " its not working out" or some BS about we want to give clark more minutes. this was a 10 game sample size where key players missed games, and were out of shape. melo played very well the 3 games before his last game, and were all wins if im not mistaken. they didnt give it a chance because he was cut for a different reason..... it aint hard to tell what that is.

kjayp, napalm06 and J.R. like this.
  3. Hardy Toll Road

I think Carmelo needs to go to the Spurs or maybe even the Raptors. He could help them in the short term but after watching the interview, he really seems to be dead set on joining a contender.

JuNx likes this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

In my opinion, that 1 a.m. talk in San Antonio is when the Rockets franchise lost Chris Paul. I've long held that the reason for his downturn last year was less due to aging and more due to him having mentally checked out to some degree. Once that happened, there was no going back.

We brought in one of his best friends on the planet, and he was deliriously excited about the season, and then a mere 10 games in we pull the plug on the whole thing. CP3 knew that one decision would be embarrassing AF for Melo, and probably also felt the team had let him down as well. I'm not saying it was the wrong thing for DM to do, or that it could have been handled better; on the contrary, it was the absolute right move, and there was no easy way to get it done. But the previous year, CP3 had been 100% with the team mentally. He loved it here and was positive he and James could bring a title to Houston. After the Melo thing, it seems like he was more distant, that he was no longer totally buying into the franchise. It doesn't matter whether that 100% dropped to 80% or 90% or 95%—he seemed less committed last year, and it cost us. Anyone who thinks CP3 is washed will be in for a surprise this year. He's still the same brilliant injury-prone guy he was two years ago, it was all in his head last year.

Hey, it is what it is. The pairing of Harden and CP3 worked beautifully one year, then the next it didn't. Should CP3 have handled it better? Maybe. But it's hard to blame him. That was his boy we dropped so quickly, and that's a hard pill to swallow. The mistake was bringing Melo on board in the first place, though even that is easy to understand, because Morey saw a shot at bringing an experienced multi-time All-Star on board for peanuts. And the guy was buddies with one of his stars, so they shouldn't have any chemistry issues at all. Most of us would sign off on that without hesitating.

The Rockets cutting Melo loose after 10 games, while absolutely the right move, was why CP3 wasn't as invested last year and didn't play as well as the previous season. If he had played as well last year, we might have taken the Warriors down, and Russell Westbrook wouldn't be a Rocket today.

The lesson from all this: Under no circumstances should we dump Westbrook after 10 games, because we can't afford for Harden to mentally check out.. :D

5. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stop embarrassing yourself. Morey is consistently good at his job, from a process and results perspective. I'm sorry you can't enjoy being a fan of a consistently top 3 team.

AroundTheWorld, Nook and topfive like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Melo not working out for the Rockets were a number of factors. The CP suspension, team's overall lack of focus, the chitty new role player additions and the defense was out of whack. Melo probably could have worked (to at least some degree) if Ariza was there to clean things up defensively and the team overall had more focus.

But I think the reason for *not keeping him* is that they were going to play Gary Clark ahead of him (to help fix the hemorrhaging defense), and did not want the *distraction* of Melo's shadow on the bench. They didn't want the chemistry to fester. Removing Melo was like removing a band aid really quickly. It was painful for the organization and for Melo but had to be done. Morey did not want this to play out and in hindsight he made the right call, imo.

Any national media saying the Rockets *scapegoated* Melo is total BS. I am seeing it a lot. Just an excuse for the national media to slander the Rockets organization.

7. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Superstar mentality residing in a sub-minimum player body.

Stay away.

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

When they pull this stunt it's pretty much happy trails.

9. riko

riko Member

The fact is signing melo to replace Trevor was bizarre choice to begin with. James Ennis was never going to be a replacement for Trevor. Melo was done to satisfy Paul but it didn’t work out.He was the complete opposite of Trevor. Where as Trevor was a ego less defensive workhorse and a great teammate plus a leader, Melo was the complete 180 !

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Melo was a replacement for Anderson though, not for Trevor, Ennis was like you said.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Melo is not saying anything crazy here, he's being rational, it might not be 100% accurate but he's being professional about it and saying how he feels. He didn't bite on any of the stuff SAS was trying to get Melo to say. Much respect for Melo and yes, I can see Morey doing people dirty like that, which to me sounds very believable. Morey said it was just not working out at the time and Melo claims that's what Morey said so there you have it. Harden not knowing, I'm not so sure about that one, but Melo claims he doesn't know so we can only speculate.

kjayp and amaru like this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Pretty much any player who has been a part of this team when asked about Morey...”really smart, brilliant guy who knows basketball....”

The “real” clutchfans....”Morey and his never played ball having ass is stupid and even more lucky....”

topfive likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think signing Melo was more than a make CP3 happy, although that was a side benefit. Morey honestly thought that bringing in an experienced not-quite-superstar for almost nothing was a no-brainer. For a number of reasons (see @Deuce's great post above), it failed and Morey had to decide on the best way to remedy it. But cutting Melo had repercussions Morey might have considered possibilities, but probably thought wouldn't have the catastrophic effect it ended up having on our season and future.

D-rock likes this.
  14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

It only took me 10 games to get tired of Melo stopping the ball. I watched Harden pass Melo the ball a number of times expecting him to swing it to the corner, but Melo would decide that he wanted to shoot. If melo would’ve just passed the ball instead of always looking for his shot, then he probably would’ve stayed on the team.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah that reason was he didn't fit and a number of us saw that coming

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

LMAO, Melo didn't realize Murray did what any team would do with that contract.

Agree with all the blame on Murray. We thought it was low risk, high reward but both the player and GM didn't realize this wasn't a PlayStation roster.

kjayp, cheke64 and Easy like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

How is that Morey doing Melo dirty? Morey's job is to make the right personnel decisions for his team. He might have screwed up by bringing Melo in to begin with, but letting him go that early was a necessity. Not only that, but if Melo had been a better defender, it might not have been. Morey had a face-to-face talk with Melo to let him know the organization had decided to go in a different direction.

You being able to "see Morey doing people dirty like that" is based on your opinion of Morey, not on anything concrete.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Hope they make one for Chris Paul's exit and Westbrook's arrival.

D-rock and s3ts like this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Morey did not want history to repeat itself with the Melo *fit.* And that history was the TY LAWSON season. And it festered all year with the lineups and KM being fired early on.

Morey made some very poor decisions in Ennis/MCW and the team as a whole was in a funk to start the year. Morey tried to rectify his mistakes to help save the team's season. And of course Harden did his part to save it.

I know there were financial implications. But you have to ask yourself from a *chemistry* POV and on court performance defensively, if having Ariza on that team would have made a big difference.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont like Melo but lets be real, Rox did him dirty.

He did everything the Rox wanted him to do, he cut down on mid range shots he took a lot of 3s and by all accounts (Harden, Cp3, his own words) he was extremely professional. He even reached out to Morey asking what he can do to help them win games, I dunno how some people can twist that into him wanting a bigger role wtf. Thats like turning a good samaritan to a criminal cmon guys.

Melo didnt play great, but we can see thats on the coaching staff cuz everybody was out of shape, Cp3, Harden, Capela, EG...there was very little preparation and Bzedelik quitting right before season started didnt help. I thought Melo played ok he was clearly adjusting but that was gonna improve, he won at least 1 game for the team and when he was bad everybody else sucked its not like he was the sole culprit of the losess.

The onus on Melo debacle is on FO ie Morey and his staff, these people identified Melo was a great fit without clearing it with the coaches first, clearly MDA and Bzedelik hated Melo Morey should have never brought him in. Secondly they panicked and got rid of Melo too early, but then later on they fired Bzedelik anyway. Makes 0 sense either they shouldnt have let go of Melo OR they keep Bzedelik all the way. You have to have clear and consistent direction either way you go.