1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last 4 Rockets Playoff Teams - The Most Talent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Feb 23, 2009.

?

Which squad, on paper, has the most talent and best shot at advancing?

1. This Year = 2008-2009

116 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. Last Year = 2007-2008

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. 2 Yrs Ago = 2006-2007

17 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. 4 Yrs Ago = 2004-2005

27 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I picked this year. We've got Yao back, and Artest seems to be fitting into the offense better with McGrady out (knock on wood). We've got legitimate scorers at EVERY position, a combination of youth and experience, and hopefully a return of Rockets defense.

My only worry at this point is the bench, solely for the fact that with McGrady and Alston gone, our bench becomes that much shorter as they move into the starting lineup. Lowry, Barry, Wafer, Landry, Hayes, and Mutombo isn't nearly as fearsome as Brooks, Barry, Wafer, Artest, Landry, Hayes and Mutombo.

Overall though, looking back, I can't believe some of those Rockets teams played as well as they did.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I rank the 05 team PG play as the best, natural or not. The only negative to it was the fact that James and Tracy apparently clashed. But the James/Sura combo brought "something" that was positive. But that's kind of why the Rafer trade is an "eh" to me. That team still had enormous difficulties at the PG spot with Jason Terry. I think short of some kind of miracle, the Rockets will always be at a disadvantage at the PG spot these days. Rafer/Brooks vs. Brooks/Lowry is a wash...but the later has more potential, which is why Morey did it - though I would have hoped for some kind of draft pick from Orlando, as the trade most obviously benefited them the most.

But 05 vs. current, Tracy was clearly much better. But the PF spot was so incredibly weak, even if Bowen did a semi-decent job guarding Dirk. And the SG spot is also quite weak. David Wesley and Jon Barry...two backups, neither good enough in tandem to give you that "something" that I think the two PG's give you. Or, to look at it another way, your PG and SG positions are somehow all maned by James, Sura, Wesley, Barry...which makes for 1 good position and 1 YIKES. And for that matter, Tracy had no real backup either...not that he was really coming out of the game, but still.

3. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

this year hands down

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I didn't see the second part of the question and was basing my first response on the thread title.

This team is far and away the most talented, but the '05 team had the best chance of advancing. I base this on the fact that the single greatest variable in potential playoff success is the strength of the best player. '05 was vintage Mac, maybe even top 5 in the league. He had the ability to explode at any point and carry the team.

This current team has talent evenly spread all over the court, but where are the big buckets going to come from? We can get past the first round if Aaron Brooks comes into his own, but I have a tough time seeing them do anything more than that.

5. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Most talent this year, but the team that should have advanced and had the best shot was 06-07 team that lost game 7 in Houston...ah the heartbreak...especially knowing that Dallas was eliminated and we were to face GSW...but who can dwell on the past right?

Chilcutt