1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Jerusalem Post] Rockets 'very pleased' with Lior Eliyahu

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1184168563993&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

Jul. 15, 2007 2:24 | Updated Jul. 15, 2007 2:49
    Rockets 'very pleased' with Lior Eliyahu
    By JOSEPH D. ROBINS
    Print Subscribe
    E-mail Toolbar

After a few weeks of workouts and two games at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, the Houston Rockets are "very pleased with Lior [Eliyahu]," special assistant to the general manager Sam Hinkie told The Jerusalem Post on Friday.

According to Hinkie, Eliyahu played reasonably well and performed the way the team expected him to. Through two summer league games, the Maccabi Tel Aviv star has logged 13.5 minutes a game, averaging 7.5 points and two rebounds while shooting 58 percent from the field.

While Eliyahu, who was selected 44th in the 2006 NBA draft, has not posted incredible numbers, he has performed well in limited minutes, and shown off the "nice offensive skills" he possesses.

It appears that it would be difficult for Eliyahu to make the Rockets roster for the upcoming year, but it is clear that the team is confident in his development.

Most likely, Maccabi fans will see their rising star in gold and blue for another season. However, as he is only 22 years old, and the Rockets are pleased with his progress, the possibility of playing in the NBA one day is very real for the 2.06-meter forward.

Eliyahu was due to return to Israel over the weekend to join the national team training for the EuroBasket last chance tournament which begins next month.

Houston's strength and conditioning coach George Maha said he feels that Eliyahu has the potential to play in the NBA. "The potential is definitely there," Maha said, "I think it is definitely possible." Although Eliyahu is still learning and growing as a basketball player, "he has a good base" to work with, although "it is not going to happen next month."

"Lior is a gifted offensive player. He is very athletic with good size, length, reach and a good wingspan," Maha added. "The skill set is there and he's showing flashes in summer league. We're encouraged by the way he looks now."

Maha stressed that Eliyahu still needs to work on getting bigger and stronger so he can improve as a rebounder and be more of a defensive presence.

As long as he "works hard and stays motivated" the potential is there for Eliyahu to be the first Israeli-born player to play in the NBA.Print Subscribe
    E-mail Toolbar

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

bring on the foreigners!

The more diverse styles of play we have, the more weapons we have to destroy Lil D.

3. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Isn't the strength and conditioning coach David Macha?

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

When the Jerusalem Post is interviewing Hinkie, I doubt he's going to say anything that isn't positive and upbeat.

If I was on the team and the Tehran Chronicle interviews the coach, Im sure they'd have nice things to say about me.

On a side note, Im still happy about landing Scola.

5. bigdawgtt

bigdawgtt Member

From what I've read it doesn't seem Eliyahu is ready to contribute this season but when he does finally come over for good, what nba position would he play?

6. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

EEEEE EEEELLIIIIIIIII AHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

He'll play PF/C cause he's a big but he'll be playing more in the style of Bargnani slashing through the lane and shooting the three.

7. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

heh, i remember them saying the same thing about Badiane.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly.

"potential" means you haven't done crap.

9. Mad Max

Mad Max Member

I don't remember the rockets being that high on Badiane, I don't even think he's played in summer league here has he? In regards to second draft picks the rockets have done pretty well when they've kept them Europe.

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Persian?

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

He had some nice offensive touches but he needs to work on his defence and strength. Looking way better than Badiane.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yes I am.

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Spartan?