1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable September Collapse of the Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Aug 30, 2016.

1. msn

msn Member

or maybe in the grand scheme of things those two years to me area about as relevant as we were to Cardinals fans when they took "a break from their normal rivalries because [we were] suddenly good."

I hear what you and others are saying. Maybe one day I'll come around; I just don't feel the bad blood. The Rangers are a doormat franchise who took a break and actually became relevant for a while (remember Max's #Rangersfanforlifesince2010 comment?). Meh.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Rangers won at least 87 games 8 times between '09-'16, including 90+ wins five times while making the playoffs five times and the World Series twice.

I get that the Astros are king of the mountain now, today - but the Astros couldn't beat them as recently as 2016 and the franchise has, otherwise, been pretty good lately. Prior to 2017, MUCH better than the Astros over the same stretch.

'15-'16 cinched it; after their johnny-come-lately fans spread out all over MMP between '11-'14 and (rightfully) disrespected our franchise, they then proceeded to beat us like a rented mule for two frustratingly long years, stealing both the division and Cole Hamels in the process. They have players that are easy to hate (Odor), as well as a small-dick manager. And they wear "Texas" across their chests as if this is their state.

The Rangers are EASY to hate.

eric.81, mtbrays, Jake Tower and 4 others like this.
  3. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

To be fair, from 2011-2014 the Astros were actively trying to be terrible. Everyone gained on their records vs the Stros during that time.

texans1095 likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm saying that the exact same comparison and neglect you're describing of the Rangers... is exactly what every NL fan base did of the Astros throughout their 50 year existence there.

We were nobody's biggest rival.

If the result of the move to the AL is that not only were they able to win their first ever world championship... but they also were able to develop their first true two-way rivalry... that speaks volumes. 50 years of NL heritage virtually undone by a 3 year run leading up to the WS... and counting.

Jake Tower likes this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

As was I. I was going to 20+ games per year for the Express when they were an Astros affiliate. Once they went to the rangers, it was down to whenever the Astros AAA affiliate was in town. Hoping it changes back after this season.

Joe Joe likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

When the Rangers and their fans took over Texas for almost a decade, kicked our asses with regularity, stole Central Texas from us, made Stros gear unavailable in stores like Academy, and talked **** while watching us tank as they tried to win the World Series...yeah, you bet your ass it ****ing matters.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

**** yeah

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I loved watching the sports news on local TV up here in D/FW the other day. They started the segment "no one expects the Rangers to compete with the Astros at all but John Bannister just wants his team to focus on being their best...". It wouldn't shock me if they beat us in a season series, though, considering how much they have handed it to us over the years during the regular season. Even last season, I don't think we came out that far ahead except for we swept that last series when they were in a total funk and it was karma for the hurricane fiasco.

9. msn

msn Member

all good points everyone. perhaps I will eventually come around. I think part of the problem is my naturally mule-headed nature: as soon as Butt Selig told me that the Rangers were our rivals and I should give a damn, because he said so, some deep part of me responded like this:

[​IMG]

plee likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Payback is a b****. A glorious, wonderful b!tch.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It sure as hell would shock me.

We are much, much better than the and 19 games is not a small sample. Those past results don't mean anything now.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Can we get Hinch in the Won Texas shirt?

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Interesting... Dallas media realizing reality...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...-cuban-lose-lose-situation-best-course-action

Question: I read your column where you compared the professional teams in Houston and Dallas. So, will the Mavs or Rangers ever overtake the Rockets or Astros, and which one will do it first? And, how many years will it take?

Kevin Sherrington: First of all, thanks for reading. I appreciate it, as do my heirs. From the looks of it, it's going to take a while before the Mavs or Rangers are as good as the Rockets and Astros. The NBA is a tough place to build a team. You have to develop really good young talent, and then all the veterans start to slide your way. That means the Mavs need to hit it big in the lottery again this year, and probably next year, too. What are the chances? As for the Rangers, they're closer than the Mavs, but they're still a couple of years away, at least. And the Astros will still be very good. I think we should get used to this current scenario for the next four or five years, anyway. That's a lifetime to me, pal.

donkeypunch, Marteen and HTM like this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Interesting... Dallas media realizing reality...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...-cuban-lose-lose-situation-best-course-action

Question: I read your column where you compared the professional teams in Houston and Dallas. So, will the Mavs or Rangers ever overtake the Rockets or Astros, and which one will do it first? And, how many years will it take?

Kevin Sherrington: First of all, thanks for reading. I appreciate it, as do my heirs. From the looks of it, it's going to take a while before the Mavs or Rangers are as good as the Rockets and Astros. The NBA is a tough place to build a team. You have to develop really good young talent, and then all the veterans start to slide your way. That means the Mavs need to hit it big in the lottery again this year, and probably next year, too. What are the chances? As for the Rangers, they're closer than the Mavs, but they're still a couple of years away, at least. And the Astros will still be very good. I think we should get used to this current scenario for the next four or five years, anyway. That's a lifetime to me, pal.

16. Buck Turgidson

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Poor choices by our own CJ Nitkowski.

bobrek likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member