1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable Feigen fluff article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Gawd damn, this is absolutely perfect. You nailed it. That's exactly how I imagine it.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

@Matt78777 lol. That's hilarious and sad at the same time. Now just add a line of tilman saying, "Shut up and listen."

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

@Matt78777, that was beautiful.

Next up: Harden and CP3 hanging out just before the start of the playoffs. ;)

Matt78777 likes this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

The only appropriate way for this all to end would be Houston, in an effort to duck the tax in 2 years, trading Harden to OKC for all of those picks.

Like poetry.

BigM and J Sizzle like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'm glad we have this trending so quickly, what a knob.

6. Convictedstupid

I couldn't figure anyone else out either. I think there was a chance the asking price for RoCo was too high. We have more evidence that Tilman, in the past at least, likes avoiding the LT. So that could be the case here but I also think who we as fans are targeting possibly weren't realistic options.

Matt78777 likes this.
  7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

#167 dc rock, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    topfive likes this.
  8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yes, they really do. Look no further than the titles we’ve actually won here.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This is exactly how the conversation went down, I'd say. Except with Tilman leaning over his Google voice app: "Robert Covington." And the female voice reading to him, "Robert Covington is a player for the NBA Minnesota Timberwolves...." And Tilman, "Daryl, I never heard of him. I told you what I'm looking for."

"Moneyball" has been on TV again lately. When it's the trade deadline and the assistant GM is asking the owner over the phone for $250,000 to include in a trade and the assistant GM covers the mouthpiece and shakes his head "no" in response to Billy Beane.......yeah, I am reminded of our situation.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Ballmer is amazing and I don't care what anyone thinks. I wish he owned Governed our team.

Little Bit and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

That's like a "How many vaguely disturbing things can you find in this photo?" contest.

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Rockets don’t need another star to win a championship. What they need to do is find ways to improve on the margins while keeping their core together. Adding a player to the Westbrook trade was one option, as is signing someone to the remainder of the MLE or using the BAE. Another option is doing a Shumpert S&T to acquire another quality rotation piece (Iguodala).

Also, Andre Iguodala is an elite role player. He is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and he has elevated his game in the playoffs as a member of the Warriors. He’s the kind of upgrade at the margins contending teams covet.

Now is not the time for Fertitta to do whatever it takes to avoid the luxury tax. He has a championship-caliber team, and he should recognize it and be willing to spend to improve its chances. The times to avoid the tax are when you own a rebuilding or borderline-playoff-caliber team.

#173 DVauthrin, Jul 17, 2019
  14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You need a combination of stars and quality role players to win a championship. The Raptors had one true star (Kawhi Leonard) and won a championship. Even the Warriors’ teams needed the best role player in the league (Draymond Green) and another elite role player (Andre Iguodala) to win three championships and make five straight finals.

#174 DVauthrin, Jul 17, 2019
    JoeBarelyCares and YOLO like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

Im sick and tired of the Feigens of this league.
    Beat writers who only know how to write fluff pieces and be the spokeperson for the teams and when there is something serious going on, a real news they are too late or most often completely silent.
    They are insulting my intelligence.

Who do they think their readers are? Stupid sheep who will swallow everything they are being served?

Europe has huge problems with their sports but at least when it comes to that they have the nba beat by kilometers. Even the smallest club will have many investigative beat writers snooping around delivering the truth and critising with no fear of being cut out.
    I dont want any more polyanna "journalists".

Little Bit and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Great argument full of stats to back your point.

Btw this franchise has more chips than 21 other teams.

17. TheRealAllpro

I advocated for signing Iggy earlier in this exchange. You ppl want this team to sign ppl just to sign ppl. There is very little statistical evidence that anything other than Stars or elite roles players move the needle and they are hard to get. This team isn’t going to pay the 45 mil dollars in extra cost just to get marginally better. They are going to hold out for a difference maker.

18. TheRealAllpro

I said that in my original post so I don’t know what your point is. You seem to be advocating for ANY role player. I’m not.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

No idea if this sounds right lol but it was funny

J Sizzle likes this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You can't get a difference maker without salaries to aggregate.

The Rockets are building a feedback loop here.

Not worth it to spend luxury tax dollars on guys who aren't elite role players or stars right?
    Oh yeah that makes sense!
    Oh sorry, we can't get a star without giving up Tucker and Gordon that doesn't make sense right?
    Oh yeah you are right that doesn't make sense!
    Oh gee, look at that we are accidentally under the luxury tax.

You don't just stumble into the ability to sign an impact player, star or elite role player, you have to be prepared to get them.
    If you aren't signing guys for middle salaries with the MLE because they aren't worth the tax, aren't trading for them because they aren't worth the tax, etc. then when one of those impact players become available you don't get to say "golly gee we can't get that guy but we WOULD be willing to pay the tax if we could!"

You create a feedback loop where you never have to go into the tax because it's never worth it for THAT guy that's available to you, only the ones you can't get.

Deuce, Vivi, Icehouse and 6 others like this.