1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The industrial food system has abused science to the point where medicine may be plunged to the "Dar

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34857015

[​IMG]

https://www.princeton.edu/~greening/downloads/antibiotic_table_tent1.pdf

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/meat/safe/overview.html

Profit is, as always, good for the planet and its people :)

2. g1184

g1184 Member

All you have to do is wait for the invisible hand of economics to come and fix everything ... just after it's done wanking big Ag.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I thought I read something a couple months ago about a new class of antibiotics being discovered.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bigtex

What the hell does antibiotic resistent bacteria have to do with hippies?

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I've been vegan for nearly two years. Just saying.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I had a professor In med school that once said, "I tell my kids, vancomycin put you guys through college." MRSA ----> straight to vanco and boom. Now there are vanco resistant organisms as well as to many other last line antibiotics.

Its going to be a scary day if we don't keep pace with resistance and keep turning out newer agents, or find inhibitors towards bacterial mutations that sustain resistance.

I don't know too much about raising farm animals, but do they really just inject them with ABs for the sole purpose of helping them put on weight?

8. Northside Storm

Yeah, the Lancet is where all of the medical hippies hang out.

There won't be a shred of substance coming out of you on a topic that will kill 10 million people a year, will there?

I suppose you could assume science will save everything, as it has been called upon to do time and again.

9. Northside Storm

http://www.tufts.edu/med/apua/about_issue/antibiotic_agri.shtml

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Don't forget all the anti-bacterial soaps etc.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't think it should be legal to use antibiotics for animals except in rare exceptional cases where human safety is at risk.

Also, the ease at which people can attain antibiotics in third world countries is ridiculous.

12. Northside Storm

This isn't about a class of discoveries here or there, it's about an abuse of the prosperity science should bring. There are only so many scientific investments and discoveries that can be made at a fast enough pace to keep up with a system that devours everything before it.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Good for you.

Do you want a Medal of Honor or a cookie or a cup of STFU?

2 people like this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why be a dick? Chill.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Also being a vegan means nothing in this situation. It doesn't mean your immune to being infected by anti biotic resistent bacteria what so ever. It doesn't have to due with eating meat either.

This is a problem with poor FDA regulations, greedy farm factory corporations. Unecessary antibiotic use in farming should be against the law, closely watched and highly regulated.

This is a

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are also overprescribed by doctors

17. Nook

Nook Member

If someone wants to be a vegan, then be a vegan.... Don't jump out with "I have been a vegan for two years, just saying."

No one cares, no need to brag and honestly made him come across as a douche.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dude when the hell did saying I'm a vegan become a douche personal attack to everybody else? Why is it okay to call someone a douche and tell them to STFU when they havent even personally said anything to or against you? Its not cool bro.

Like I posted, being a vegan really doesn't help much in this situation. Buying antibiotic meat helps just as much as being a vegan if not more. But its still relevant because it is a way for one to not support farm factories who administer these ridiculous amounts of antibiotics among their animalz., albeit not the only or most effective way, it is still a way and relavent to the subject of this thread.

I'm just saying no need to personally attack someone let's just chill and focus on the subject.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I only eat meat and vegetation grown on my estate for the last 5 years, always antibiotic free.... Just saying.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I use hibiclens (chlorhexidine) regularly.