1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[The Independent] People with extreme political views ‘cannot tell when they are wrong’, study finds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well that explains a lot

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...university-college-london-study-a8687186.html

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

pretty obvious after seeing Trump and his followers.

pirc1, Nook, DaDakota and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That does explain quite a bit about some of our friends here who lean towards the extremes.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

One conclusion they drew from their study, published in the journal Current Biology, was that the failure of metacognition held true across the political spectrum.

They said this suggested radicalism was based on a way of thinking that “transcends political inclinations”.

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

How many times have you admitted you were wrong here?

Nook likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How good are they at connecting the dots?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A few, but it's fairly rare for me to be proven wrong. For the most part I either take nuanced positions or use qualifiers in order to avoid being wrong but obviously it still happens every now and again. What happens more often than not around here is that some kind of straw man gets beat up and people take that to mean that positions were disproven when that never actually happened.

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

One conclusion they drew from their study, published in the journal Current Biology, was that the failure of metacognition held true across the political spectrum.[/quote]Across the political spectrum - do you hold a polical view?

Are Dems immune to this phenomenon? Greens? Independents?
    Trivializing "radicalism" is an extreme measure in itself.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Thank god everyone here identifies as a moderate.

10. IVFL

IVFL Member

Um no, constantly changing the subject or moving the goalposts is not a nuanced position or using qualifiers, especially when its done as a reaction to someone pushing back on a point. Its called bad debate, of which you are a master. At least no one will ever call you a master debater, so you have that going for you.

biff17 likes this.
  11. IVFL

IVFL Member

Its posts like this that bring me back.

I would guess that if you looked at this article and thought that it proved that the other side is wrong, its really about you. If you looked at the article, actually read it, and agreed that it was that way on both sides you can qualify yourself as a moderate.

Nook, Deckard, Rashmon and 1 other person like this.
  12. JuanValdez

I don't know, they sound awfully confident in their position. Maybe too confident.

Amiga and IVFL like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

BTW, the author note on what is metacognition ("the term for a person’s ability to recognise when they are wrong"), does not give it justice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacognition

Metacognition is "cognition about cognition", "thinking about thinking", "knowing about knowing", becoming "aware of one's awareness" and higher-order thinking skills. ​

Yea, I would said the failure of metacognition is not related to political lending and is WIDEspread.

14. IVFL

IVFL Member

I wonder what role the increase in digital media and technology in our lives has lead us to this point. Thinking about thinking requires a lot of self-reflection and that's hard to do when the next level of candy crush needs to be won, or there is a new youtube video about cats.

Its easier than ever to find people that have posted or post information that you agree with. This creates a bubble where you don't have to listen to the other side an find the merits of their argument. Rather you can spout some talking point on a message board and tell yourself you won the argument because the other side didn't do a good enough job of convincing you that your thought process may be flawed.

Because its everyone else's job to prove to you that you are wrong, you know you are right.

Nook likes this.
  15. WNBA

WNBA Member

Across the political spectrum - do you hold a polical view?

Are Dems immune to this phenomenon? Greens? Independents?
    Trivializing "radicalism" is an extreme measure in itself.[/QUOTE]

It is easy to identify extremes on any spectrum.

Are lock-her-up people extremes? I counted how many convictions issued, how many bombs mailed and how many Jews killed. ..........hmmm , very extreme to me.

Are Dems extremes? I don't see it much. If they are, plz provide facts, numbers to prove it.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Dems are totally crazy extreme. They want health care over perpetual war, education funding over tax scams, and an equitable criminal justice system over racist, gung ho police departments. CRAZY!

17. JuanValdez

@larsv8 told me that the Republican Party was a terrorist organization that must be purged from the country. I don't know that I'd say he has low meta-cognition, but I thought that was a bit extreme. lars, not picking a fight, but that's just the most recent example of extreme views from a liberal here that I can recall. To take another example, @JuanValdez wants to take your guns away and abolish the Second Amendment (I have the posts to prove it if he wants to deny). He, like perhaps the extremists in this study, can feel comfortable in the rightness of his extreme position because of the unlikeliness that events will ever unfold to explicitly prove him wrong.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Confirmed ^

Although I am a moderate, not a Democrat. And my perception of Republicans has nothing to do with thier political views. Frankly I couldn't even tell you what they stand for anymore.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

People with extreme political views ‘cannot tell when they are wrong’, study finds

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hah, I have done that multiple times....

:)
    DD